Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The New 2017 Interface

The New 2017 Interface  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Does the new interface help your work flow?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unchanged
    • Undecided

Hey Everybody,

I've been using 2017 for some time now and in my personal opinion I find the new interface requires a lot more work in the way of mouse clicks and mouse travel to accomplish the same tasks as X9.  In order to stream line my work flow I've had to create a fairly big Quick Access bar and right-click context menu.

Again, this is just my personal opinion...just want to see how it's effecting other usesr.

Thanks,

John

• Like 4

"Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming that the people who are against on the vote here, are knocking the fact that the icons (and the ability to customize them)  went?"

Phissed for better clarification

I thought it read okay.

Shall we have a poll?

:hrhr:

• Like 2

My biggest gripe is the lack of a Drop Down Menu for the stuff I'm used too. I hate icons. I want a simple text description of the command I need. I don't want to memorize the "look" of a particular button.

Just give us back the main menu drop downs, and 95% of my frustrations with 2017 would go away...

• Like 9

Plus a million to Collin.

I am slowly getting the icons and the one and only pull down customized.

Pretty soon I should have it as close to X9 as humanly possible.

I used very vew icons and all of the pulldowns.

But most of the pulldowns had stuff in there I never use so between the huge

Line of icons and the right click...I can make it work but it is a huge PITA.

Maybe we need a Not As Yet Option in the poll.  JMO

Ive been using it since the first public beta. Once i sorted all my toolbars with what i wanted its just been a case of getting used to it.

I wouldn't go back now.

A lot of hate for the new Interface when i first started with it but set it up to what you need and its now faster than using X9.

• Like 1

The common theme that I see people posit is "well, once you customize the interface, it works great."

As someone that teaches people how to use Mastercam in online training classes, I try to learn and use the default interface as much as possible. This allows me to to have the students use the "default" workspace, and be able to follow my instructions easily. For a new user, that likes to use icons, the interface is slightly easier to use for the very basics.

I also happen to use the software to program parts, and as a "power user", I strongly dislike icons, for picking many commands. This is true with the Microsoft Ribbon in Word and Excel. At least 50% of the time, I have to use the search function to find the command I want. It is infuriating.

I shouldn't have to build a custom ribbon bar, to make the software as easy to use as the last version. I want to read the text of a command. In a drop down menu. It's just my preference, and most modern software packages give you both options. Toolbar buttons, and a drop down menu.

It makes me appreciate NX that much more now...

• Like 2

I can see where new users may find the new unified layout simpler to learn but in my opinion it slows work flow.  There are things I really like in 2017 however you'll have a very hard time convincing me that in the "Standard" interface does anything to improve work flow or efficiency.

Simple Trim 2 Entities:

2017 Interface:

Click WIREFRAME tab on left of screen

Move to right end of ribbon bar, click Trim Break Extend 

Move all the way back to the left side of the screen and select Mode: Trim then Type: Trim 2 Entities 

Move back to the graphics window to complete trim 

Move back to the Trim Break Extend panel on the left again, click the green check

X9 Design Interface:

Click Trim Icon

Move down slightly to ribbon bar, select  Trim 2 Entity icon

Move to graphics window to complete trim

Move back to the ribbon bar and click green check

2017 has WAY MORE mouse travel and 2 more clicks to get same results as in X9! 

The QAB gets me closer to X9 efficiency but true user configured tool bars would be a huge improvement.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

John

• Like 2

2017 Interface:

Click WIREFRAME tab on left of screen

Move to right end of ribbon bar, click Trim Break Extend 

Move all the way back to the left side of the screen and select Mode: Trim then Type: Trim 2 Entities 

Move back to the graphics window to complete trim 

Move back to the Trim Break Extend panel on the left again, click the green check

trim 2 entities at gcode's house

Trim is mapped to the thumb button on my mouse

I can press it without changing my grip on my mouse

After a decade it's pure muscle memory.. no thought required

Launch trim

hit "2" and trim 2 entities

hit ESC

done

while the command is active you can use hot keys to

change the desired behavior

1 = trim 1 entity

2 = trim 2 entities

D = divide

T = Trim to Point

E = extend

ESC closes the command

it's been this way since  the first release of X and hasn't changed

• Like 4

The common theme that I see people posit is "well, once you customize the interface, it works great."

As someone that teaches people how to use Mastercam in online training classes, I try to learn and use the default interface as much as possible. This allows me to to have the students use the "default" workspace, and be able to follow my instructions easily. For a new user, that likes to use icons, the interface is slightly easier to use for the very basics.

I also happen to use the software to program parts, and as a "power user", I strongly dislike icons, for picking many commands. This is true with the Microsoft Ribbon in Word and Excel. At least 50% of the time, I have to use the search function to find the command I want. It is infuriating.

I shouldn't have to build a custom ribbon bar, to make the software as easy to use as the last version. I want to read the text of a command. In a drop down menu. It's just my preference, and most modern software packages give you both options. Toolbar buttons, and a drop down menu.

It makes me appreciate NX that much more now...

Have to agree with run it out of the box if possible. if I have to help some one else out, show them on my machine or vise versa it is much easier.

interviewed for a job one time and they asked me to program a job on his work station, the guy had his interface so horked I fell on my face. i walked. oh well. they are still looking for a programmer 7+ years later.

• Like 1

Launch trim 

hit "2" and trim 2 entities

hit ESC

done

I share a similar work flow. I use the icon to launch trim though. 99 times out of 100 I use escape to exit my function. The less clicks the better and escape is on my Spacepilot Pro as well as my keyboard. 

I will have to change my work flow when I move to 2017 that's for sure. I am an icon person overall but I will have to move as much as I can to my Spacepilot and right click menu in order to avoid the number of clicks the ribbon interface requires.