Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pine wood derby

JOVATO8

YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF CHEATERS!!! frown.gifmad.gif

Unless you're competing in the "Open" class,

the rules say that the boys are supposed to

make the cars THEMSELVES. Having been a judge

once, it's pretty obvious that @ 90% of the

boys did little or nothing on their cars. The

Cub & Boy Scouting program is supposed to help

teach honesty, integrity, self-reliance, etc.

NOT whose dad can make the coolest cad/cam CNC machined wooden car. "...so Jr. can feel a bit more involved"??? confused.gif He's supposed to be the ONLY one involved.

Ahhhh! It feels good to vent once in a while. biggrin.gif

quote:

YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF CHEATERS

AVS_FAN:

I support and mentor and help my children in everyway that i can. It might be helping with homework, discussing a book, teaching them how to hit a baseball, or yes even HELPING THEM BUILD A PINEWOOD DERBY CAR. I help them every way that i can. Im just better at building pinewood derby cars than at higher math.

Oh, I'm a Devils fan too.

-Keith

My 2nd grade son and I did a John Deere 772BH road grader this year for Pinewood Derby. He came up with the idea. He sat with me while I drew it in Solidworks. He listened as I described how to feed it into Mastercam. He watched as I created tool paths. He watched as the CNC made it. My son can already draw parts for the laser. He drew the blade, blade attachment, hydraulics, etc. and we cut them on the laser.

Sorry about the dads with less equipment, but I got to spend some quality time with my son teaching him what I love.

I am amazed sometimes when I get home at night and my boys have a list of parts to make that night for the project that they are building.

Links to two of our cars from years past. My Son is now out of Cub Scouts so they're are no more cars to be built. frown.gif

The Incredible Elmobile , My daughters undefeated unofficial car. The look on her face is why you help your kids.

3.3Mb avi.

The Spiral Car. 18-0 undefeated pack champion. an unbelievably fast car. a missle.

7.7Mb avi.

Please download THIS CODEC if you have any problems watching these clips. The Codec is from ASUS. I grabbed the clips with my older Asus Nvidia Gforce card.

[ 01-15-2004, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Keith Graydon ]

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish, feed him for life." - Chinese proverb (500 B.C.)

My Father always said "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game"

I'm not so sure about that old cliche anymore!

Today its more like - "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing"

Hi all,

I just wanted to apologize to anyone who took offense to my "Cheaters" posting. redface.gif Since this was an Off Topic post,(maybe should have been "O/T pine wood derby"?) I wanted to see the responses to a baited, devils-advocate,shouting viewpoint. wink.gif I think I did recant in my other post. I find the forum very entertaining as well as useful! smile.gif

I absolutely helped my son with his cars. cool.gif As a judge it was pretty sad to see the cars from boys who had no help. frown.gif As to the original posting, I think it would be way cool to take the whole den to watch a car being made on state of the art machinery! I considered it myself at one point, but I couldn't coordinate a den meeting at the shop.