Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Older Space Pilot - Best Essay Contest

Colin Gilchrist

Good on you Colin.

I always shudder at essays - we had a fearsome French/German teacher at school.

If during class he'd moved us onto 'the naughty chair' at the front :rolleyes:, we'd get a punishment essay that had to be given to him within a couple of days.

It would have to be a couple of thousand words, and titles that stick in my memory are:-

My life in a cabbage patch at the bottom of my garden

My life inside a radiator

My life as a football

When growing up, this sort of thing can have a profound effect on you...

• Like 2

I was never good with words((or people), thats why machining and I clicked  :smoke:

Ok.

That's ok. You've got one sentence, if we just add a period to what you wrote, so that's a start. Add a sentence or two about your family, and I'll consider that as an entry. (If you are indeed interested?)

That's one of the cool things about my contest, that there are no real rules besides just being your genuine self. You don't have to write much. And the writing doesn't have to be good, have good grammar, or meet much criteria besides being authentic. 

• Like 1

Ok.

That's ok. You've got one sentence, if we just add a period to what you wrote, so that's a start. Add a sentence or two about your family, and I'll consider that as an entry. (If you are indeed interested?)

That's one of the cool things about my contest, that there are no real rules besides just being your genuine self. You don't have to write much. And the writing doesn't have to be good, have good grammar, or meet much criteria besides being authentic. 

Nah, I don't have my own computer at work, it gets shared with  couple other guys, operators.  I thought my grammar was good, then again that's why Im a machinist lol

Its really cool that you're doing this, by the way :thumbup: .  No one gives anything away these days.

Nah, I don't have my own computer at work, it gets shared with  couple other guys, operators.  I thought my grammar was good, then again that's why Im a machinist lol

Its really cool that you're doing this, by the way :thumbup: .  No one gives anything away these days.

Your grammar was just perfect. Punctuation was simply abbreviated, and understandably so. I guess I was agreeing with your thought about not being good with people, and so you became a machinist.

I can relate.

Don't let your situation discourage you though. Would it benefit you and your coworkers to have a Space Pilot? There are other functions besides just CAD/CAM. Reading documents with them is pretty cool. (PDF Files, and so forth.) So if you at all have any interest at all, tell me how you'd use it.

The essay part is just because I want to give these things away to someone who will use them, and I'm having a little fun. There are literally (literately?) no rules to the request of the essay on purpose. It's just my way of trying to get people to think a little bit, instead of me just saying "Who wants one of these things.", and having someone reply "Me". My request is very tongue in cheek, so to speak. I just want someone to say more than "I'll take it."

So believe it or not, having a guy like you that uses Mastercam, on a shared computer where other users might get a chance to use the Space Pilot and interact with it is good start for Candidate #1 in my contest. To be fair to the other contestants (and the rules, of which there are honestly none), just give me a couple sentences about what you'd do with it (use it with Mastercam?), maybe the kind of work you do, and a shout out about the other people that would have the opportunity to use the 3D mouse, if they were interested. Even if you'd be the only one using it, it's worth a shot.

This is a very easy essay contest to win. I just want to clear out my garage and give these tools a new home. I'd like to give each one to someone that will really appreciate and use it. That's it.

Actually, you know what, I'm going to give away the one on my desk too. I have 4 of them in total, and that's really just 3 too many.

(Point of fact, I've never opened those other boxes in the garage. I really need to do a physical inventory before I get myself in trouble! So let me verify that I've really got 3 of these things to give away, but however many I do have, they are all up for grabs.)

Hello,

My name is Orvie John Smith. (it is not short for anything)

I am 41 years old & live in Milwaukee WI.

I am married to Katherine Smith & we have 6 beautiful daughters.

Haylie(10), Ashleigh(9), Mollie(8), Natalie(6), Emily(5), & Tiffany(5).

Yes, I mix up their names all the time.

I work for Toshiba America Energy Systems.

I started out as a Cutter Grinder making custom carbide tools for the automotive industry.

I went on to mold making in the plastic injection mold industry.

About a year and a half ago, I bought my own 5-axis seat of Mastercam to help support all of my beautiful ladies.

Things are going well at work & at home.

I love what I do, & I love teaching the new guys too.

I am not certain how a space pilot pro is going to benefit my work, but I've read many great things about them & I'd love to find out the answer for myself.

• Like 9

I think all versions of the Space Pilot use the same download for drivers from their website, it includes the puzzle demo biOk just pulled my old Space Pilot and tesed it as they are now no longer support by co

I just pulled my old Space Pilot out and tested. as the Corp office does not support them any more. But I do have the latest drivers and Windows 10. ran MC2017 and the unit works nicely.

Colin, really cool that you are doing this.

Good luck to you all that enter.

• Like 4

Ok,

I've had a bunch of stuff going on this week, so I'm sorry for not updating this on Wednesday.

The winners, as chosen by me, are:

Orvie Smith

and

Brandon Brodhagen

Guys, please send me a PM with the shipping address you'd like me to use, and I'll send your new toys out tomorrow.

I did mention that I thought I had 3 of these things. I'm not sure if I lost one, left it at a former employer, or gave it to someone a while back, but I've only got 2 units.

Fortunately, there wasn't overwhelming amounts of people interested, so I think it all worked out in the end. These Space Pilots get a new home, and hopefully will be put to good use by someone.

Hey, if either of you don't end up using or liking the Space Pilot, please just pass it on to someone that is interested in using/trying it out.

The thing I wanted to most avoid was having these units just end up in the trash somewhere. The exception being if the unit is broken, or breaks while you have it. Then feel free to pitch it, or give it to a little kid to take apart with a screwdriver or something...

Oh, and looking over my receipt, this was about 8-9 years ago. My how time flies.

Thanks everyone,

Colin

• Like 6

Congrats winners!

Colin, let's me and you have a beer some time.  I'll buy.  I'll drive up there to buy you a beer or eight.

Sure, be happy too, but it's got to be in the next couple weeks. I'm moving back to Connecticut the 1st weekend in February. My position with CGTech is for New England support.

How about the weekend of the 28th-29th of January? That's about the only one that will work before I move. I'd love to do it sooner, but Saturday I leave for Maui. I'll be gone until Sunday the 22nd...

• Like 1