Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MILL OR LATHE PROGRAMMING

HEAVY METAL

Heavy

Except for the 5 axis stuff I don't see one as being much tougher than the other. They both have their operations that can give you trouble but with experience and ingenuity can be conquered. I do mostly lathe work now, but have spent years on mills as well. I have been told by mill guys that the lathes are more difficult and lathe guys have told me mills are more difficult. I think it boils down to what you are familiar with. It is knowing machining principals and being able to know the process required to make the part that is the challenge.

May day,

The monkey is swinging to another drummer. biggrin.gif

Phil

With a Mill, The accuracy of the finished part is for the most part - Tool Dependant. On a Lathe, the program and the process of operations have a much greater influence on the finished component. I would suggest that a Lathe is a much more difficult machine to program and a MillTurn is the next and an Integrex 5ax is the HolyGrail of All. (Right Chris...)

quote:

(Right Chris...)

Integrex?!? What's an Integrex?!?

Integrex - Latin for unbelieveably expensive, petulant, boat anchor

Simon +1 on the tool clearance issues, we deal with that all of the time. I also find that I often need to be more creative on the lathe with tooling because of the limited amount of tools available in the machine.

Milling geometry is more complicated and difficult, no doubt, but the actual programming is often not super tough with 2-1/2, 3ax stuff.

C

We have two okuma cnc lathes at the shop I work at. I would like to get a shot at programming them. We have a seat of the mc lathe but know one is using it. The owners son is head of the lathe dept and the operators know more than him.They do all the programming out at the control. They won't let anybody learn the lathe package because they don't to make the bosses son look bad. I have played around with the lathe package a little but mill is ny dept. Seems like it would take awhile to just learn all the insert geo. Well got to go for a bit. Lunch time

see ya Heavy

Hey Heavy, what do you have for Okuma lathes?

We have 4 Cadet LNC-8s with 5020L control, 4 Captain L370s with E100L, and an LT-15M with U100L

All are awesome machines

The programming is a bit different on the surface from a lathe with a Fanuc or Fanuc clone but the machines are fantastic to work with after you get used to it.

Lathe 9.1 is really a nice program and the MPLOKUMA post off of the new CD is really good except:

1) Retract reference points don't post after canned cycles. This is true for ALL lathe posts as far as I know. CNC Software knows this and has a fix available that works well.

2) The Misc Ops are not supported at all. As far as I know this is true for ALL lathe posts except MPLFAN. This is easy enough to fix by copying the entire section from MPLFAN and doing a few other small mods.

If you have any questions about the machines or the controls feel free to email me and I'll try to help you out

C

Well Crazy Guy is going to pop in here. I have ran boths and done 5 axis as well as Swiss Screw Machining with Live tooling pre Cam Programs if you don't include Mazatrol or the one Okuma has on their Controls. I find both to have their own changllegs and to be honest think the lathe is an easier machine to teach to people and run than a mill. I use to make anything from Bone Screwdrivers to SS sleeves with a .18 wall thinkness 11" long and hold .0005 all day long. I have made mill parts that should have been done on a lathe and they where 10 times harder than making them on the lathe cause we didnt or dont have a CNC lathe at this place or places I have worked.

It is a good point that it is all realtive to your experience. Me personally I would be learning lathe any and every chance I could. I am sorry to say but there are no promises about jobs any more. The more you know the more you can do and the easier it is to find a job. I would apporach with the son as a I would like to learn this for me and not to do your job just something i think is cool and something I would like to know. I would then bust my arse learning and knowing everything I can. This was how I learned the Wire EDM and my owner was the one running it and he gave the machines to me after 1 month.

The insert geomentry is the easy part dont let that hold you back. The hard part is thinking about order of operations for complicated parts on a lathe that require mill work afterwards. I look at it this way anyone can make a taper threaded stud but can anyone make the same stud with the same start point realative to a hex that is machined on the same part between to machines. The trick there would be to make the Hex frist. Then use 3 flat jaws to hold the Hex then make the threads from there. That seem simple but if you have never done it is it really that simple.

Heavy,

Mastercam Lathe consists of simpler toolpaths. Mill has more complex toolpaths but the tooling is much simpler. There are more tools and libraries in Lathe. Choosing a tool is easier than making one. That's the toughest thing in Lathe, making tools that aren't included in the libraries. Fortunately there are lots of tools included in a library. There are even manufacturer specific libraries in Mcam Lathe. Custom tools are the hardest thing to do with Lathe.

Mill has much more toolpath options. At least the part stays still while the tool spins and moves around it. A past colleague of mine used to say "It's unnatural for the part to spin while the tool stays still." That is a foreign concept to us "millmen". To those who "turn", it's second nature. I think after all is said and done, the differences between milling and turning tend to balance out. Programming with Mastercam definitely makes them both easy. HTH biggrin.gifcheers.gif