Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2023 VS 2024

ikertx0

I'll answer it this way...

It's been a VERY long time(18 years) or so since I had a version that I needed to wait on...I always install when the new version is released and update as packs are released. Since I have been here(2015), except for 1 year where the old manager didn't want to change for his own reasons, I have kept up us to date. We have 10 users of varying ability and it's a non-issue

Hell, I have had to move to new versions early on a couple of occasions...fixes in Mill-Turn that helped...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ikertx0 said:

My mill machines are 3x and 5x with machsim, lathe XZ XZC and XZCY. Also wire.
I'm worried about updating and seeing errors. I have tool libraries with about 300 references

If you make excuses for why you can't, you'll always find a reason not to...

JM2C YMMV

• Like 1
Hace 2 minutos, JParis dijo:

Si pones excusas de por qué no puedes, siempre encontrarás una razón para no hacerlo...

JM2C YMMV

I always wait for them to release updates, and I see that they are already in update 4. Maybe Christmas is a good time to update. I work as a freelancer and I don't want anything to go wrong.😬

59 minutes ago, ikertx0 said:

I see that they are already in update 4.

MC2024 Update 5 was released this morning.

Baring the discovery of a  mission critical  bug, it will be the last update for Mastercam 2024.

The beta sites are testing MC2025 now.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, mirek1017 said:

Where I can find this update ?

If you have 2024 installed and your machine is connected to the internet, 

the autoupdate utility should alert you to it's availability and ask you if you want to install it.

or

go to the Start Menu, open Mastercam 2024 and chose " check for update"

If your machine is not connected to the internet, you will need to go to Mastercam.com

and download it from the Downloads page.

You will need to set up an account to do this

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, LA CAMmer said:

Thanks for reporting this about Productivity Plus.  I use Productivity Plus with every program and had not yet made the move to 2024, but was about to update.

I will stick to 2023 for now.

The issue was with a horizontal machine where I use Top as WCS and front, left, right, and back as tool planes.  If you are only 3ax I don't think you will run into any issue, but I make no guarantees or warrantys :)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 6:20 AM, JParis said:

If you make excuses for why you can't, you'll always find a reason not to...

JM2C YMMV

SO much this ^^^^^^^^^

Myself, I only wait as long as it takes to get the CAMplete TruePath Plug-In or until I finish a project... whichever is longer. It's usually within a month or so of a new Mastercam version release. Then, I uninstall the old Mastercam version. There have ALWAYS been software bugs and there will ALWAYS be software bugs.

:coffee:

I rarely jump up to the new version quickly, but I did this year and was an early supporter of it...but the longer I used it, the more bugs I found. One was quite catastrophic: Mastercam repeatedly changed my custom WCS workplanes. One time I posted a drilling program and the tap drill and tap for the same holes had workplanes 90 degrees different from each other. My reseller told me about 'locking' the planes, and that did seem to fix it. But the fact that Mastercam is on update #5 should say something about the bugs they've been forced to fix as I have NEVER EVER seen more than 3 updates of any yearly release that I can remember (correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, I feel kind of trapped in the never-ending cycle of new releases and constantly having to find work arounds for the inevitable bugs which seem to be a feature of those releases. All of us who have used Mastercam for any amount of time have complained to no effect about these bugs...and why they won't take just one year off from offering new bells and whistles and instead really work hard to stabilize the core programming and constant bugs...but eh, that's in a perfect world...

• Like 2
On 12/27/2023 at 3:50 AM, JParis said:

But 2025 will be out in just a few months  :)

2025 Tech Preview is already out..and I'm already using it for simple one and done fixture work and stuff

• Like 2
23 hours ago, sharles said:

My reseller told me about 'locking' the planes

Thanks for this. I've never known this option existed. As we are just switching to 2024, it's a tool we'll employ as standard since it seems to be a new improved bug/feature for versions going forward. If the plane is associated with geometry (we usually associate planes to a point), will it still move when the geometry is moved?

I say bug/feature because if it hasn't been fixed by now, and MC is already moving onto the next version, history shows it'll never be fixed in the current version. This is exactly the type of thing that @crazy^millman & others point out as a frustrating pattern with the software.

• Like 1

I have been locking planes for the better part of the last 10 years.....just part of my normal workflow now....

I don't associate planes with geometry, that has been a bigger part of a problem than just moving it to a point and then unchecking "Associate with new geometry"

"Adapt, improvise & overcome"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, Travis_Buchanan said:

I discovered a bug with planes and coordinate systems with Mastercam/Productivity Plus.  I reported the error and received confirmation of the issue but it has not been fixed as of yet.  So for now it's 2023 for me.  I was loving 2024 till I ran into this issue.

yeah i ran into this to and was told by our reseller to just go back to 2023 in my case 2022. with 2025 already gearing up for a release will we even see this issue resolved. its wild it hasnt been resolved yet because it seems like a pretty large deal not being able to use productivity plus. has anyone come up with a work around?

On 12/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, Travis_Buchanan said:

I discovered a bug with planes and coordinate systems with Mastercam/Productivity Plus.  I reported the error and received confirmation of the issue but it has not been fixed as of yet.  So for now it's 2023 for me.  I was loving 2024 till I ran into this issue.

also was told it still is a problem in 2025 as well and they have no clue when it will be corrected.