Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How set Mastercam to achieve this effect?

22 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

The gain with keeping the tool down and following is machine performance. Obviously a late 1990's machine with max feeds in the 400-800 IPM range won't see the types of gains a high performance machine of today that is capable of feeds in the 2,300+IPM range. The strategy is sound and in actual test cutting (not backplot times) it's impressive. 

The dynamic paths behave like that when they come back around for the next cut set to climb only, I know what you guys are on about. My operators get scared sh*tless when I program ruffing like that, so they asked me not to. Now I set to to dynamic zig-zag in 6061 so the tool doesn't whip around.

I'm a firm believer that you can output any tool motion from Mastercam. That said, sometimes if you want something very specific it could take a while to set up.

The motion could be achieved using a 2d dynamic path up to the fillet then contour paths to walk up the fillet. You'd need all the linking parameter values set to 0. This way the tool only ever retracts as high as the next toolpath. May need to play with the lead in/out's to not gouge the part. 

Might be easier to use optirough then convert the tool motion to wire. Modify the wire and use a 3D contour path with no cutter comp.  

Neither of these are "easy" or "good" options, but you can get Mastercam to output that motion.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Pretty sure this is Asian Joni Bonkers posting!!!!!!

I honestly can't tell what his intentions are. These guys are usually a better judge of character in that way than I am.

Until he creates 3 other accounts and comes in having a 3 page conversation with himself about how horrible Mastercam is while the other systems he's pointing out are so much better. :D   I hold off on the JB comparison. 

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, riverhunter said:

Wasn't there a dude named redacted on here about 12-15 years ago the would always loose his S*iT? and then go post on other software platforms?

Shhhh... Be careful about unintentional summoning rituals. Many such beasts live on though memories and storytelling.

• Haha 5
42 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Neither of these are "easy" or "good" options, but you can get Mastercam to output that motion.

I'm not 100% sure optirough can't do it. I just know that I can't figure out how to get it to do it. 

1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

I see the "rapid" motions that he's trying to replicate, but I don't know how it would be better than hopping up and over. You're just going to add a bunch of arcs or point to points at a high feedrate, and relatively close to the part wall at that.

I had a couple of Feeler drill/tap machines with F control and 60metre/min rapids.

I had to always rapid retract clear of the part because if rapid down in the part, close features would get clipped at 100% rapids. The ACC/DEC was so fast, the path was not "that" close (servo/open following error). There was no parameter to close this down.

High/max feed within/close to the part is okay but not always as fast as 10metres/min....

12 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Shhhh... Be careful about unintentional summoning rituals. Many such beasts live on though memories and storytelling.

Whatever happens, NO ONE mention his name 3x times.... :hrhr:

• Haha 3

Who cares if it retracts? Modern machinery is very fast and likely faster to retract over a distance as in the example than to go at a high feedrate at the same level. 

Agin, who really cares. this guy is a troll

41 minutes ago, cruzila said:

Who cares if it retracts?

After going down the rabbit hole a little I see some scenarios that it's obviously more efficient if the tool doesn't retract.  

I'm not sure his given example is one of them.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, cruzila said:

Who cares if it retracts? Modern machinery is very fast and likely faster to retract over a distance as in the example than to go at a high feedrate at the same level. 

Agin, who really cares. this guy is a troll

There's a lot of people that think to rapid out and in takes longer, I've had that conversation with a couple of bosses.  One wasn't a programmer, and the other stopped programming before Dynamic.  They can't get their heads around Dynamic. 

56 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

There's a lot of people that think to rapid out and in takes longer, I've had that conversation with a couple of bosses.  One wasn't a programmer, and the other stopped programming before Dynamic.  They can't get their heads around Dynamic. 

1 hour ago, neurosis said:

After going down the rabbit hole a little I see some scenarios that it's obviously more efficient if the tool doesn't retract.  

I love dynamic paths. For sure many times staying down is "better, faster, more able to leap small buildings" As neurosis points out, and is my point, the given example is not one of the best. Most times I'm happy when the program fits in the control and doesn't make the control processor go crazy.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2024 at 1:19 PM, AMCNitro said:

There's a lot of people that think to rapid out and in takes longer, I've had that conversation with a couple of bosses

Depends on the machine and the part

We've  got an old giant HBM that rapids at 200 ipm on it's best days and a Ø100 diameter part with 12 legs 14" tall.

The job  is to put big fillets on the corners of the legs and the edges of the valleys between the legs.

I recently reprogrammed it using 3d high speed toolpaths similar to the sample I posted.

I got the cycle time down from 120 hours to 45. The bosses were pleased.

• Like 7
On 3/5/2024 at 5:15 AM, neurosis said:

Yes, you are someone who actually uses Mastercam every day!!!
"Reasonable non-retraction" is more efficient than "every time" retraction
I am not good at English, I am from Taiwan,I have to use google translate,I can't fully express what I mean!
Our company is a legal user, but the maintenance period is no longer renewed, but we are still a legal user.
Because of efficiency issues, the company has to choose between Solidcam or Tebis, and the company has switched to Solidcam.
I like Mastercam. If I were a Solidcam or Tebis user, I would hope that Mastercam never improves, instead of hoping that Mastercam can be perfect!
I only have one account! I don't do meaningless things!

People here are not friendly. I never knew Americans were so unfriendly. Thank you all for letting me know about American demeanor.
I don't need to come in here anymore! Thank you all

On 3/4/2024 at 1:04 AM, crazy^millman said:

No never used it and posted over 19,500 postings that helped not a single person in the last almost 21 years of being on this forum. Again post a file glad to help I guess you cant read that due to your poor English? I live in a tri-lingual house so really annoys me when someone try to use that as an excuse. 

沒有人從未使用過它,並且在過去近 21 年的時間裡,在這個論壇上發布了超過 19,500 條帖子,沒有對任何人有任何幫助。 再次發布一個文件很高興能提供幫助,我想您由於英語不好而無法閱讀該文件? 我住在一個講三種語言的房子裡,所以當有人試圖以此為藉口時,我真的很惱火。

上傳一個包含刀具路徑的主文件,然後我們就可以說同樣的語言了。

You are a child, an immature adult, and have no grace!
And you are so self-righteous that you are an obstacle to Mastercam's progress!
It's you who make me feel very bad about Americans!

3 hours ago, bird2010 said:

Yes, you are someone who actually uses Mastercam every day!!!

Thanks, but believe me when I say that these guys are far better with the software than I am. 

This is something that everyone may not have realized didn't work. The parts I make are usually longer than they are tall so the rapid retracts don't affect me. If I were machining a part that was 2" wide and 6" tall the retract to clearance would be horribly inefficient.

This sounds like a good enhancement request.

3 hours ago, bird2010 said:

People here are not friendly. I never knew Americans were so unfriendly. Thank you all for letting me know about American demeanor.

I wouldn't base your opinion on that interaction.  :lol:    Over the years there has been some mischief on the forum that starts off looking innocent enough but there are some key characteristics of a post that raise some suspicion.  The best way to remove that suspicion is to post a file so they know you're 1) using a legit version/copy of the software and 2) not just here to criticize Mastercam

40 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Hate to say it, but the fella does have a bit of a point. Flame away..

Assuming his intentions are good, yea, he kinda does.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, gcode said:

I got the cycle time down from 120 hours to 45. The bosses were pleased.

wow, that's wild! Most of my work is high mix low volume so tbh I'm not usually worrying about a few extra rapids here or there. My longest cycle time is like 2hr 45 min and that's on a small tombstone. A part of me is slightly excited about getting some higher quantities to focus on the process and get that cycle time down. 

Usually I'm running 25 parts while also programming the next job for the machine so I can't be bothered too too much to just watch the machine run and try to optimize.

bad xxxx job though!

6 hours ago, bird2010 said:

You are a child, an immature adult, and have no grace!
And you are so self-righteous that you are an obstacle to Mastercam's progress!
It's you who make me feel very bad about Americans!

A very wise man once told me, seek first to understand, then to be understood. Many Americans view the traditional Chinese/oriental philosophers  with admiration. Still, the petulant nature of youth transcends all nationalities.

16 minutes ago, neurosis said:

If I didn't know why you guys were asking them to post a file, I'd post one just to see if someone could get it to work

If a new users posts a file, someone with a dealer's sim can run a utility that returns the hasp number that created the file

If a pirate uploads a file, he reveals himself as a liar and a thief ... and gets smacked with a ban hammer.

• Like 2
El 4/03/2024 a las 13:12, loco^millman dijo:

Sigo esperando ese archivo. :coffee:

I don't have a good level of English either, but you are undoubtedly one of the people on this forum who has helped me the most.

On the other hand, why is a license number verification not implemented in the forum? It bothers me to upload a z2go file because my data appears, but if the staff verifies that my license number is OK, a verified member could be added to the profile or something like that.

Sorry for my english