Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Update from Iraq

JohnA

Hello again,

Well I had a chance to check the forum again and sure enough, the world didn't stop turning when I left the U.S....haha. Anyway, I'm still alive and whole, thankfully, and I'm also past the halfway mark of my tour here. The barbaric heat has finally relented and we've had relatively nice weather for the past week or so. We've been warned not to get used to it though because now comes the pasty mud from the rainy season. I loaded the MC demo on my battle buddies laptop and, Holy Smokes, was I stumped for awhile. It's unbelieveable how much leaves you when you don't do MC or even think about it for awhile. Also, my unit is still intact with only minor injuries from a mortar attack and a little bit of combat stress setting in. Other than that, we've been blessed, no doubt. Once I realized how much MC I'd forgotten, I can't wait to get back to what I used to call "the grind". Hell, I'd give almost anything to crash a tool right about now. It beats the alternative, which I happen to be living. Anyway, you guys take care and I'll try to get a few more updates in before I leave here.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I went home for R&R last month and please believe me when I say that what I saw on CNN was EXTREMELY misleading to say the least. Although I heard no outright lies, this conflict is far from out-of-control like they would like for everyone to think. There's a lot of misconception being spread so please think of what's really happening here. This is a major conflict and people will be killed. More people died on D-Day than in the entire time we've been here. I'm not trying to write off the sacrifices that have been made by those mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters, I'm just saying that we are definitely in control here (we, being the U.S. and Iraqis together).

Okay, I've said enough. Take care and drop me a line sometime [email protected]

JohnA

John,

It is great to hear again from you and also for you and your fellow troops to be alive.

But please come home soon. wink.gif

We are all proud of the hard work that you men and women are doing.

Please let your fellow troops know that we are constantly thinking about them and their family's who miss them very much.

Please always watch your back and make sure that you come back in one piece. smile.gif

Ps,We know better than to believe 1/2 of the sh*t on CNN..... wink.gif

John,

Good to hear from you again.

Sounds as though your in good spirits. Drive on

brother you'll be back home before you know it.

Tell your unit we said "hey".

God bless you all and again thank you for your

service to our country.

We are all very proud of you.

PEACE biggrin.gif

John, it is great to hear from you and know you are well. smile.gif

Hey I and my wife have a question for you and the others there.

After all this who are you and the guys going to vote for? headscratch.gif

Well will all be happy when you are back in the states safe and sound talking shop again over a cold cheers.gif .

Jay,

It's just as split here as it is back in the states. It almost seems 50/50. I think the difference is whether or not you're pissed off about being here. On the one hand, the appearance of the lack of WMD smacks of Washington BS and screams for a do-over. On the other hand, did you know that we have found unexploded roadside bombs with Sarin in them? Where did that come from? Has that information made it back to the states? Surely we didn't find the last Sarin in existence in Iraq, did we? Maybe it was here or maybe they got it from the Iranians or Syrians. We may never know. I don't like being here, but sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most popular thing to do. I'd love to be kicking back a cold one talking shop, but if things that need to be done now don't get done now, then it could be MY sons over here taking care of something I should have taken care of before it got worse. I feel that if Kerry gets elected, it would be more the American people punishing Bush rather than electing the right person for the job. Kerry's entire campaign seems to be based on what Bush has done wrong in Iraq rather than what Kerry plans to do right.

JohnA

First off this is not an O/T so do not move it!!!!!!!!

Great to hear from you and glad you and those of your group are intact. We really wish for you guys to all come home in one piece and it is the everyday people like yourself that make this the best place in the world to live. You are missed and thought about all the time goes to all of you that are there. I would buy the tool for you to crash if you had that choice. Keep safe and know that I for one as well as many I know are very proud of you guys and thankful.

God speed to all of you and may god walk beside you keep you safe from harm and guide you on the path that brings all of you to your love ones here.

John,

It's great to hear from you! Glad to hear you're doing alright. Hold your head high and keep on fightin' for the good guys. We're gonna win this thing.

As a Desert Storm vet, I know some of what you're going through. There's nothing we want more than for you guys to finish the job and all come home safely.

quote:

I don't like being here, but sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most popular thing to do.

You got that right! There are some that think if they turn a blind eye to it, it'll all go away. That's not the case. That's why you guys are over there. You're getting it done and we're proud of you! The world will be a better place because of you.

They didn't find stockpiles of WMD? So what! Saddam has not lived up to his end of the ceasefire from 1991. That's reason enough to go back and remove him from power. Period!

Take care buddy and thank you for serving our GREAT country!

Thad teh I vote JohnA emastercam Member of the Month!

quote:

Thanks JohnA.

Stand tall.

We are with you and proud of you.

Thank you for your service.

And thanks for stopping in at the forum. It is good to hear from you.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Here is to you and your buddies

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Kind regards, Mark

JohnA,

I applaud what you are doing. There is not a day goes by that I don't sppreciate it.

Thanks Bud...hang in there...once Pres. Bush get past this election BS he can get back to what needs to be done and thats gettin' you guys home safely.

This ones for you... cheers.gif

Mark

John, thanks for all that you and the others are doing. My brother in law is in Texas right now training to go over in January or February. Your words and efforts are encouraging to me and my beliefs that we are doing the right thing! I tell my boys (8yrs, 6yrs, 4yrs) old all about what's going on over there and I show them the Army's press releases, NOT cnn's! Your statement is testimony alone:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like being here, but sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most popular thing to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our fore father's had this vision and courage as you are showing and doing today.

GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL WITH YOU, COME HOME SAFE

Derek,

I'm at Taji. It's about 15 miles north of Baghdad. It's a former Iraqi Army and Air Force base. Nasiriyah is way down south. Although that's where the 507th (Jessica Lynch's unit) was ambushed, relatively speaking, it's not as bad anymore. Generally, the further north you go from Kuwait, the more perilous it is. From Baghdad up to Mosul is probably the worst, especially in Al Anbar province. Don't worry too much about your boy. If he stays there, and as long as there's not another insurrection there, he should be fine.

John,

As a relative newcomer to the forum, I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure. I must say that reading your post today was a real blessing.

Thank you for putting your life on hold to go over there to do a thankless, dirty job that unfortunately needed doing. It's been said that we'd rather fight the terrorists in Baghdad than in Boston, and I wholeheartedly agree. But talk like that is only effective when it's backed up by decisive action. You and your fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines are definately the pride of our nation and the best in the world at what you do.

Thanks for also mentioning (mostly for the benefit of some of the more liberal forum members)how things are REALLY going over there from a first-person perspective. I have a bro-in-law who is a 1SG in an Army unit up north who has been telling us the same things you are saying. I believe you are confirming once again that the media's liberal agenda is clouding their objectivity to the point where all we seem to hear is the BAD news. Some of the more liberal folks here don't like to hear that, but it happens to be the truth. I hope you can continue to use this forum to keep sending us updates.

Personally, I thank God every day for people like you who are willing to fight for the cause of freedom. Hang in there and keep the faith. I believe that what you and your fellow servicemen and women are doing there today will change the course of the whole world for the better. God bless you and yours.