Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

x release date

phil darcy

i found out this week that ver 10 was never going to be out till late 2004 when all along i thought i bought maintenance to have a year with ten. also my reseller said ten wasn't going to have much because 9 was reworked alot as of last so to get any valve from ten i needed to renew manitance.how many of you thought ten was going to come out a year ago? also when i started looking at software i bought mc because one of the selling point was NO manintenance (at the time i didn't have any back ground to know much else)however i got over that i felt ok about buy so i would have a year with ten, and there is no firm date of release so it may be another year!(to much money to count to work on ver x) seems to me cnc software is NOT making on new friends

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, Welcome to the forum.

Just browse through the forum many people has complained for the delay in x. I do agree that it is delayed but don't you think that shows they are planning for a more bug free and stable application. If you are regularly reading mastercam newslatter then by now you must be aware that major changes are being made and it's getting full windos interface with MDE and Menu controled interface. These things do take time. The delay indicates they are working hard on feedback from beta users. BTW The promotion for "X" are on the peak and any day it's release date can be announced. Till than enjoy your X'mas cheers.gif

X has been delayed much to the dismay of more than a few people. It IS getting quite close though.

As far as it not changing much, this is not true. Having seen a demo thru my reseller all I can say is changes are coming.

I don,t have a problem with the time to release x it just the way x was used to sell manintenance

latest ver 9 was fine for me so I didn't need or use maintenace but I felt a complete redo with x I wanted to have all the updates as thing are changed.I,m a 1 man shop that does motorcycle racing and the cad/cam just supports this so i,ts hard to shell out money whenI feel misled, I think my reseller was just passing along what they were told.cnc software should make this right. when you let a customer think he is going to get something down the road with the money hes,s spending and then you tell him the when he pays some more he can get it he does,t stay a customer to long.he may even have one of those list some times called s___ list.

quote:

also my reseller said ten wasn't going to have much because 9 was reworked alot as of last so to get any valve from ten i needed to renew manitance.

It is and has always been my understanding that anyone who purchased Maintence before X was released will get X no matter if they donot keep Maintence becuase I know it has been over a yearfor alot of people and some have elected not to keep maintence becuase of their unhappiness of the relase. I could confim that X is so different and so changed that I for one have recommed we keep our 9.1 going and used for atleast 6 months while we switch to X. We are a Job shop with anywhere from 20 to 50 different jobs a week comign through our shop. We will use a transition from 9.1 to X and think in our situation fits us best.

HTH

quote:

It is and has always been my understanding that anyone who purchased Maintence before X was released will get X no matter if they donot keep Maintence becuase I know it has been over a yearfor alot of people and some have elected not to keep maintence becuase of their unhappiness of the relase.

Ron this is true.if Phil got maint he will still get X even thow he opted to stop mainttell the release.

So Phil when you get X are you going to get back on maint?

My employer just let maintenance lapse on 11/30. My IT mgr was not happy with the 10% penalty with our reseller. The mgr who brought in MC is no longer with us so maintenance is not likely to be renewed soon. They are 8 months behind on Surfcam maintenance renewal. When and if they purchase MC maintenance again, they are putting it out to bid to 3 resellers. I hope to see X sometime, we were sold on maintenance with that promise also

Phil, I know the delay in X has frustrated many users but let me assure you that you can be thankful for the delay. One of the things that has always impressed me about Mastercam is that they do their best to deliver as bug free of a product possible. Do bugs show up after release? You bet. There is always someone who will try something after release that no one has ever tried before. But, they are quick to fix major problems. At least this has been my experience. And yes, X is way different from 9.1 and you will love it after you find your way around. Any reseller who would tell you it is not that different has not done their homework and done their share of Beta Testing.

I can see your situation jimspac. Hang in there and keep plugging for Mastercam. I have Router customers that have Surfcam and it seems ridiculous some of the steps they have to take to create a simple program with it. They appear to do everything in 3d even though they are just drilling and pocketing plastic. I believe Mastercam to be the best there is. I have been to school on Mastercam, Alphacam and Cabinet Vision and our company has given the POS Bobcad away with our machines for years and given the choice I always program with Mastercam. When we decided to become a dealer for a real CadCam program we went with Mastercam after much research for one reason. It is simply the best and easiest to use product for what we do.

quote:

I know the delay in X has frustrated many users but let me assure you that you can be thankful for the delay.

yes, I am sure than MANY people are thankful for CNC software not living up to their promises. Only in the software business can you be 9 months behind schedule and have people thanking you for the delay. I know lots of people laid out $$$ for the maintence, for what?? Minor improvements and when X is released, they will get it. Problem is, when X is finally put out the door, you are really going to have to be on maintence to get all of the bug fixes (ummm improvements) that are sure to be released, which means laying out more $$$. I am glad that I recommended to stay off of maintence till now.

quote:

Problem is, when X is finally put out the door, you are really going to have to be on maintence to get all of the bug fixes

Where does it say you won't get bug fixes.

It says pt. releases and enhancements. If you do

any 3d work at all you'd see the speed at which

FZT processes. And know what a remarkable improvement

it is. An enhancement!!!

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

FZT is an improvement, but not exactally added fuctionality

I think the FZT enhancement is a whole new application which was purchased from a third party. If you don't use it, you probably don't

think you got much from your maintenace $$$.

If you do, FTZ alone is worth the price of maintenance.

I have maintenance on my personal SIM, my employeer does not. Last month I programmed a

surface pocket rough operation on an aluminum plate 150 X 48 x 6

V9.1 SP2 took over 40 minutes to compute the toolpath. MR0904 did it in under 10 minutes on the same computer.

quote:

FZT is an improvement, but not exactally added fuctionality. I think FZT is more of a bug fix, the original code for figuring z depth cutting must of been poorly written (tho very fuctional)

Not a bug fix at all. Its a whole new way that the

toolpaths are processed.

Hence the name:

Fast Z-cut "Technology"

PEACE biggrin.gif