Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why is MCX unstable ???

RandleXX

I have used thousands of windows programs none have been as unstable and crashed as much as MCX.

X has become so bad that it is almost unusable for anything other than basic 3-Axis work.

CNC services would do better to invest into educated, more talented programmers to write their software. There is no excuse for shoddy software these days.

As I see it, Mastercam is starting down the slippery slope to obsolescence. Once loyal customers are now starting to look at other software companies such as NX, Powermill, Surfcam and various others who are starting to create some very powerful software.

Of course some of you MC loyalists will comment on how they never crash MCX and it must be my programming ability. This is complete BS, if you never crashed MCX then you are not using it.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run MCX on various PCs to eliminate the possibiliy that it is hardware related. In fact, I just purchased a new $5000 Dell workstation to try and make MCX more stable. Now it just crashes faster..

Don't get me wrong, I like Mastercam and have tried just about everything to make it work for me.

Randle,

Can you share any of these files you are having problems with. Maybe someone can pick up something that's either wrong or that maybe you're doing wrong.

I get a crash every now and again (about as much as I did on V9). I'm curious though, what, when and how is it crashing? Have you been posting questions on the items that is making it crash? Do you have the latest service pack? I get pretty ticked off too when the computer isn't working, but to get sympathy I think you need to be a little bit more specific than "it crashes".

quote:

Can you share any of these files you are having problems with. Maybe someone can pick up something that's either wrong or that maybe you're doing wrong.

Sure, I will upload the file I am currently working on to the ftp site.

give me few minutes and I will post the filename..

I crashed my version X other day but it pops up a sorry for the inconvienence message and closes... I reopen X and go to get the file again and poof the geometry is gone.. all tool paths and geometry disappeared..lolol.. good thing for backups or I might have been slightly angered..It was a large surface file so I believe that contributed to it.. with small files no lag no crashes... Just my two cents...

Ok, the file is located on the ftp site at:

MCX_Files/randles_MOLD

It crashed on me at least 4 or 5 times on regen and saving nci before I got it finished. This is the completed program. Enjoy

I welcome your comments, good or bad...

What kind of regen times are you getting Randle?

I regened the entire file in about 30 seconds.

I've messed with your file a bit changed settings regened, it is running in a 2nd session of MCAMX, without any issues so far>

Which path was giving you problems?

WTF? new box, re-install, created new machine and config files, still it crashes...

It just locked up on me while I was doing a regen after fixing the undercut issue.

banghead.gif

Could it be a server or network issue? All my files are saved to the server.

Moved the geometry all over the place and regen in about 30 sec evertime....no problems...

Are you on a network hasp?

Saving to a network drive?

What CPU, chipset and video card is in the Dell?

quote:

Could it be a server or network issue? All my files are saved to the server.

oops too slow......I would guess its a networking buggar....

Do you know anyone with a single liscence hasp you could try to see if the workstation works off the network?

I got a new Dell a week ago. Since then I have had X crash on me a few times when moving my mouse. No click, no picking an icon or a menu, no rotating geometry, just move the mouse across the screen and boom.

I'm not sure where to start. X is the only program that has done this, I can work in 9 all day with no problems. Does anyone think it may be hardware related? I have all the good stuff that MC likes in the computer as far as graphics, memory, etc. Not sure if I should try to hammer Dell, or wait for mr2 before trying to blame the hardware.

quote:

Did you get a promotion? could have swore earlier you were just a "Master Toolpath Engineer"

Now I see the new title..

"Extreme High Master Toolpath Engineering God"

I was wondering when someone would catch that. LOL! smile.gif

These are my stats:

Local Hasp

Saving to network drive

Duel Xeon 2.8

4 gig ram

Nvidia Quatro FX 3450/4000

Windows XP PRO sp2

smile.gif