Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why can't MC Make the Perfect Product?

Exodus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, when i bring up issues with it, people get all antsy pants. I guess its to be expected from...no offense, the older generation. Mastercam is going to have to start to work with the younger generation. Yeah, i'm a bit more outspoken on the internet with forums and whatnot (and obviously not everyone takes everything said online or on forums as "lightly" as i do)

Stork....Yes, we are making money with X, the problem I have here is the mentality you showed there "if you don't like it you can just leave" I felt that from the way peter rimkus responded here on this forum. We've been using Mastercam here since v5 (iirc) and I personally since version 8 (the privilege of my father owning the business). What ever happened to suppliers doing anything and everything to ensure the end user is satisfied? I understand that not everyone is going to 100% satisifed 100% of the time and I accept that, but the feeling is still there of "if you dont like it....leave, we don't care about you".

Yes, I am 21, and I'll be damned if someone referes to me as a "know it all". I work with X at least 6 hours a day here at work programming, designing, and running our machines and have been for the past 3+ years. I am in no way ignorant to mastercam, or machining in general. I understand that while I may not have been in the trade (or using mastercam) as long as some people, but I feel as though I'm trying to bring a different perspective of things.....a younger perspective to things.

I try with all the machine shop things I do to push the software, hardware(computers), machines, and most importantly myself to the absolute limits on a daily basis. That means software bugs, broken tools, and stressed human CPU. I'm not in this for a quick dollar (if I wanted that, I would have stayed at an engineer position I previously had). I'm in this to help my fathers shop to succeed, not just for now, but for when the day comes that I can assume position as "head honcho" to provide for my familychildren and childrens children.

If you think that I have put no effort into learning this program.....I have 2 words that I'll kindly refrain from using.

While what I say may come off as apparently "harsh", I am truely looking to help further mastercam. We've got enough going on that switching software isn't practical, but not only that, we have product loyalty and we don't need anymore confusion for the other programmers at the shop here.

I've lost my train of thought here, but long story short, don't excuse me for being a "youngin". I am far more willing and open to new things (i'm the one who pushed for using X here at the shop and dang, i've been feeling the heat for it here. haha) I'm just outspoken when it comes to bugs that get on our nerves daily.

Andrew Gore

ps. no relation to the fellow who invented the internet....and blue jeans.

pps. seems like I should add some sort of "sarcasm emoticon" to my sig? I guess I can just read sarcasm online easier than others?

ppps....back to wrenching on the e30 for track day tomorrow smile.gif

I've sent in every error report, and had a few emails with some guys at mastercam. Not trying to make things look like pissin n moaning, but well things are never ready clearly online and it seems I end up posting usually right after something goes haywire. lol I'll try to spend more time on here with "better" posts and all, but heck, when I get home from work.....machining is usually blocked out of my head, and i'm more focused on carsrc funthe lovely lil lady smile.gif

As far as the car goes...by e30, i meant e30 325is. Fun car though (prior car = turbo mr2 that my dad smashed up and sr'd 240). I have an m50 motor im swapping in either late summerearly fall, or over the winter. Just need to get a gasket set for it, and she'll be going in smile.gif I gotta do that and make some rearsets and clipons for my 74 rd350. Too many projects...too little time

Andrew

cheers.gif

Well Andrew at 21 I'm afraid everyone is going to think of you as a youngin. It happened to all of us, it's frustrating but you just have to deal with it. And, "asking" people to listen to your perspective is fine. But as a youngin' you should try to learn what you can from the "old guys". Many people in here have used many, many other softwares and know what unstable software is. Mastercam is not that.

HTH

I'm 33 and I've been working on machinery since you were in Kindergarten, people still talk to me like a kid sometimes; you'll get used to it.

As far as 'pushing it' don't kid yourself, you ain't doing anything somebody else isn't; no such thing as 'revolutionary' in this business.

-----

"...the problem I have here is the mentality you showed there "if you don't like it you can just leave" I felt that from the way peter rimkus responded here on this forum..."

-----

andrewgore,

You've been paying attention to what goes on here, so you must know that is NOT my attitude. That was really the one time I came on strong to a customer and he accepted it in the context in which it was given - why can't you? That thread was along the lines of 'don't just bitch, show us what the problem(s) is/are and we will try to help'

I think the "jumping levels" issue has been resovled for X2. We didn't get a repeatable instance of this from anyone until the same week X MR2 was being released, so it didn't make that build. It is/was limited to extending surfaces and using a construction level > 255. If you can reproduce a case where it's happening somewhere else, please let me/us know.

I'm not sure what the 'haywire' colors issue is. Is that the case you sent me where create surfaces from solids was not taking on the current construction color? Fill in the details and I'll see what I can do.

Wow..quite a bit of arguing here. Andrew..sit down,relax and take a deep breath. I have nothing but great support from all the people here as well as my reseller. Don't angry because you talked the shop into getting X and now they all yell at you. Maybe you should have wited until a second release came out. (they always come out with a second release soon after) MAybe you should grow up and learn how to have an adult conversation instead of just plain bitching. You can solve more problems with kind words than with harsh words. I am disappointed in this entire thread (except for the idea of putting the print in the front and the part coming out the back..that is funny..I don't care who you are). We should all be working together to improve a software that is one of the top two in the country as far as I am concerned. Only one other program out there can come close to MCX.

Lets all think before we let our fingers make an xxxx out of ourselves!!

quote:

Andrew, You're not a youngin, I am. I'm only 16

You're both "youngins". tongue.gif

I struggled with X at first. Didn't like it much.

Then I discovered a lot of the "bugs" that were "bugging" me were because I just didn't know how to do them in X. I had to think rather than just do it automatically as I did in 9.

I really like X now, especially after MR2. I still use 9 on occasion because our 5 axis posts don't work in X. And when I use 9 now there are a lot of things that are really slick in X that are missing in 9. And that "bugs" me. cheers.gif

I'm not saying X is perfect...but it's definitely not bad!

Hi Andrew,

Its Chris Kozell from ShopWare. As far as I know you didnt have any more issues. If you remember, I stopped up at your shop about a month or so ago to see how things were going and go over anything you wanted to. You and your friends were mountain biking, which dont get me wrong, is fun to do but it was a perfect time that we could have gone over any issues you were having.

quote:

I'm not saying X is perfect...but it's definitely not bad!

If people would remember many of us that were saying "give it time", "seat time", you'll get used to it.

This is exactly what happens when you do give it chance.

I have had my aggravations, as have many of you but at the end of the day wer're better off now.

And getting better all the time

cheers.gif

quote:

This thread has gotten way out of hand. Will someone please lock it?

You think this thread is out of hand? Hang around awhile and you'll see that this thread is taaaaaaaame compared to some in our history. We've had some great battles: Brendan vs. Jack Mitchell, Andrew vs. Peter E, James and Matt vs. pretty much everybody. It would be cool to see those threads, I miss the days where I could read a page-long flame.gif followed by "OUT".

GOOD STUFF

quote:

This is exactly what happens when you do give it chance.

I have had my aggravations, as have many of you but at the end of the day wer're better off now.

And getting better all the time

100% agreement here. I had some minor learning issues when X was first released, but I never thought that it sucked, I just told myself it was something that I had to get used to. I learned mastercam on version 9, so that was what I was used to, but I like mcx way better, and v9 is kind of a pain to use now.

spade teh tryin to learn everyday!

I am getting MCX this week I am giving it an open mind, and I know it will take some time. I use MC9 now. The new X reminds me of Solid Edge a tad with the toolbars and menus and I know that program well so I hope that will help me a bit.

Like a kids at christmas can't wait for X