Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Did I just lose 3 days of programming?

gms1

I have been working on this part for 3 days now with tons of geometry, toolpaths, and levels. Today I went to save the file and I got an error while saving and Mastercam CTD'd (No big deal, I get these on a daily basis). I reopen mastercam and the file I have been working on and its empty. Everything is gone. No toolpaths, geometry or levels.

Is there any way possible to get this file back? Did mastercam just screw me? If there is any possible way I could get this file back please let me know.

Using MastercamX-Mr1 10.1.3.34 (Jan, 6)

If you were using backup files (not autosave) you should have more versions to open up. I feel for you, I lost over a weeks worth of SolidWorks due to corrupted files and it's a tough pill to swallow. From that point on, for large jobs, I not only use the softwares backup function but copied the whole directory (solidworks files, mastercam files, etc...) to the server every night.

good luck!

We also backup to a separate computer (actually several) every night. Throughout the day I rely on Mastercam's BACKUP FILES to keep me safe.

Just to be clear... Autosave is nearly worthless now that we have BACKUP FILES.

Anybody who has not taken the time to set up this feature ought to think about it before it's too late.

As Eric said, X2 is much more reliable for me also. I think I had one crash in the past month of all-day use.

I would actually suggest turning Autosave off

I use the backup utility available in MC, I save 5 instances of the file to a separate directory.

This has saved my butt more than once.

Sorry to say but in all likelihood, you are starting over.

If you search for posts from Colin Gilcrest, he had a nice writeup he shared regarding backup utility. If you had Autosave on and attempted to change something while it is trying to save, unfortunately it does seem to crash and wipe out the file from what I've seen. I copied Colin's writeup and added it to my tech tips I pass out to our customers.

Does this backup utility thing even exist in my version? I don't see this anywhere only thing I have is autosave.

edit: What I dont understand is all these people have had the same thing happen to them and in order to get a fix my company would have to pay some maintenance to get this working right.

quote:

I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls but not having a daily backup to another location, regardless of file size, is poor business practice.

Thad

Thats the beauty with this. My backup file *was* in a different location. Mastercam decided that it wanted to wipe my backup as well. It looks like when it crashed to desktop it did an autosave on the crashed version of my file.

Hate to sound like im ranting but this just puts me in a bad situation.

I was referring to a daily backup (tape backup of the server, etc) of your working directory, not autosave. At worst, you're out one day's work.

BTW, backup files are not the end all. It's only happened once, but your backup file got hosed along with the current file. I was hoping the new backup feature would eliminate the 0 kb file problem that has popped up in the past. Now I know it's not fool proof.

Thad

"Does this backup utility thing even exist in my version? I don't see this anywhere only thing I have is autosave."

Time to upgrade GMS. As John said Mr2's backup options would have saved your bacon with nary a bead of sweat, I have saved my own aspidistra several times using the MCX Backups.

I would suggest that you try a system rollback to recover that file, it might work.

If you do upgrade to MR2

In system config go to Files - Autosave/Backup. You will see both the autosave and MCX backup files options there.