Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X2 Maintenance Release 2

Chris Bell  CNC Software

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I saw that Ron. I'm just annoyed that another "maintenance release" rolls out with bugs. Sure would be nice to get releases without bugs.

And before anyone starts ragging on me, we've been using MasterCam since it was shipped on the big 5.5" floppy discs (back in 1989). My username "Newbieguy" only refers to me being a newbie to the forums.

quote:

I'm just annoyed that another "maintenance release" rolls out with bugs. Sure would be nice to get releases without bugs.

quote:

And before anyone starts ragging on me, we've been using MasterCam since it was shipped on the big 5.5" floppy discs (back in 1989).

Then you shouldn't be suprised that software has bugs. rolleyes.gif

Thad

gcode

Did you download and install

vcredist_x86.exe

first??

Yes I did. I had MR1 working on the computer with no problem installing that from the web.exe install file. So I dont know what was going on, but like I said it worked when I made the CD from the MR2CD1 ISO file I got from my reseller.

quote:

Not renewing the maintenance contract any more. Company has decided to freeze solidworks, mastercam at this point in time, as we cant see any justification for the added expense.

Then you shouldn't be surprised when you can't open your customer's files in a few months. SW2008 is rolling out now, X3 should show up probably sometime next year, and I'm sure everything else is putting out new versions too. Up to date translators are a prerequisite to doing business.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If nothing else, AT LEAST keep one or the other updated. Transators alone are worth the cost. Case in point, company I know of (I heard this from a friend), a company they farmed work to, they did not keep up on maintenance for either Solidworks or CADKey, anyway, they imported about 75% of their work, going from drawings or sketches the remaining 25% of the time, well, half of their customers (representing about 2/3 of their workload) said they "...would not convert their files to ANY format. You read our native files or no more work from us...". Long story short, they nearly had to re-pay for their Solidworks/CADKey seat to get it up to date.

Moral of the story, be prepared to loose work not being able to read in customer files.

JM2C

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got back from vacation and I thought I'd take the jump into MR2. Brrr! Maybe I'll jump back out. MR2 keeps crashing on me for NO reason. I mirrored a part with toolpaths and I couldn't get a good contour program from the one curve even though I reselected the curve, remade the curve by putting points on it and then creating a new spline, remade the curve using different adjoining surfaces. I finally got a good contour program after wasting 1/2 hour or more.

On backplot/quick verify I have to hit the button twice before it will display the entire toolpath???? I also get the veeeeery slooooooow start up like others are getting. My prompt for toolpath names, even though set to "always" doesn't prompt for the first toolpath of each group.

Well done, though, on fixing the create curves bug! I was so ready to move up once that bug got fixed but now it crashes so much that maybe I'll just stay in X2 SP1 longer.

I do like some of the new features, but I don't understand this insane rush to add more and more features when mastecam can't produce a product with minimal bugs. In my opinion X MR2 was the best release and I'm still kicking myself for moving up to X2 when I lost how smooth_running that version was. How about just one maintenance release that would focus on killing the majority of the bugs that are infesting mastercam?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

+1 to it being VERY stable.

When I have a ton of Transform Ops it gets slow, or very slow, but it still does not crash. I just have to give it it's time to complete whatever it needs to complete and all is well.

Personally I'd re-install it, or rather, do a complete un-install, deleted the mcamx folder, check the registry and clean if necessary. It should be clean but in case it's not, do it. Then re-install.

JM2C