Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam against featurecam

saw

Hi all,

We are also looking at a featurecam/mastercam comparison so any other input is welcome, we were told that it was using powermill code for toolpath generation.

it is very, very quick to calc and post but I'm not sure I can get my head round creating features instead of the machining process.

From what we saw it is quicker than mastercam for the work we do and easier to pick up but some of the other guys (apart from me) have previous experience of mc so I guess that'll probably be where we go.

We hve also discussed powermill and were quoted 18k for 3+2 machining, maybe 30k for simul 5 axis + CAD package?

Not a very good intro here (sorry!), we don't have mastercam but I joined to research what the users were saying.

thanks

I would take cimatron over powermill anyday of the week. But all in all tell your boss as an examaple from a non mastercammer anymore frown.gif and from someone that has used Almost everycam system in some form for at least a little while, and is fluent (is that term applicable) with many systems including Mcam, Surfcam, Cimatron that depending on your work and if there is any diversitilty at all to it, then Mastercam pound for Pound is the best Cam programming software there is on the market. However it does not use HOOPS smile.gif

i have been using mastercam ver.6.13 for 12years

with no updates! will the x2 2 1/2 d help our prog. time ! we dont do very many 3d parts. alot

of 2d different parts all the time.thats why we

are looking at featurecam or update mastercam.my

boss wonts all info we can get. Thanks!!!!!!!

quote:

boss wants all info we can get.

Bring the FeatureCam guy in, hand him a blueprint

of one of your parts and say "Show me".

Do the same with your Mastercam salesman.

Do not let either of them get away with thier canned dog and pony show.

Make them demo YOUR part.

The FeatureCam guy will whine and moan that he needs a good model first... the Mastercam guy

will program your part smile.gif

• Like 1

thanks gcode the featurecam was here the show looked great but when you running a 12 year old

software all looks fast. mastercam will be here

friday the 14th. ill get him to use one of our models, we bring models in from solid works!

then change to dxf. files. right now. im looking foward to using the models to work from.

i just came from a shop that had featurecam (Delcam) . It was terrible!! curse.gif It caused me to look for a new job. Nobody there liked it at all. So I got a new job. biggrin.gif DON'T BUY IT! There was so many things I and the other guys didn't like about it, to many to list. It took all the fun out of programing.

For me there are a couple of things.

1) how easy is it to find people that already know the software?

2) service (forum included)

3) Mastercam combines 3d and 2d very well. The simple things are still simple! while it can handle the toughest job to come through our door.

4) POSTPROCCESSOR!!!!!! You can edit it yourself any time. This is not a minor thing at all, no matter what anyone says. Support for this is also free in our area.

HTH

• 3 years later...

Look, you can't even compare Mastercam to Featurecam at all. Featurecam is a basic, 2D/3D machining package, period. Think of it as Powermill Lite. Very limited types of toolpaths available, with basic control functionality. If you want all the bells and whistles then you have to step up and get Powermill. Double the price of course, but worth the expense.

Look, you can't even compare Mastercam to Featurecam at all. Featurecam is a basic, 2D/3D machining package, period. Think of it as Powermill Lite. Very limited types of toolpaths available, with basic control functionality. If you want all the bells and whistles then you have to step up and get Powermill. Double the price of course, but worth the expense.

You do realize you are posting in threads from 4 years ago yes?

Featurcam was an American made, later bought by Delcam, So do not assume it is brilliant !! as Powermill software.

Delcam just owns it.

If you were still using MC6, till 2011!!! do not worry you'll be much much fine with MC X5. do not distract from path.

Change is good, but MC6 to X5 is quite good enough!!

Feature base machining recognition - Ask yourself if your parts are alike need FBM.

2 cents