Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What are operators allowed to do while machine is running

ScottyB

Hi,

We are having a problem lately with machine operators pulling up a stool or playing solitare or pocket poker machines while the machine is running. We all know that keeping a close eye on the machine for 8 hours will drive you insane, but what is acceptable for the operators to pass time? Our operators are expected to check sizes, quality, quantity, etc. but what else?

I need to put in writing, guidelines and expectations of operators conduct while the machine is running and I'd like some input with your policies or ideas.

Thanks much!!!

ScottyB

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some places I have worked don't allow reading. I however did not have a problem if people were reading trade magazines, machine tool, books or anything related to the trade. If the machine was clean, area was clean, and tools were ready for the next job, and I could not get anything else from them to do then I did not care as long as their job was done.

Thanks for the ideas. Good stuff as always.

I should mention that we are a cabinet/fixture/wood shop. Cleaning is the first priority, but while the machine is running the safety mat does not allow getting close to the machine. I like the trade magazine idea.

This wasn't a problem until the powers-that-be went against my judgement and moved our second machine 100 yards from our main machine. I loved the 1 guy 2 machines deal. 2 for the price of 1 if you ask me. Oh well.

I will be looking for more ideas before I put some guidelines in B&W.

Thanks much!

2 for the price of one. Hmmm, thats going on now where I work, only we also have to program the mills. Not a bad concept if you dont mind one machine sitting idle while the other one gets set-up. If your looking to maximize spindle time, one man, one machine, on time, quality parts. Of course, part quantity and complexity would end up governing how many machines a guy could run. On occasion, I have up to 4 machines running. Reading? Other than prints and machine manuals, we have no spare time. Incentives such as monetary bonuses for increased production would weed out the slackers.

It really depends on what you are running, I've been in shop's with a 4 hr run time on aluminum, all you had to do was make sure the coolant was full and the cutters last forever. So cleaning up was first , if the area was spotless,reading a book or newspaper was no problem.If your running tight tolerance inconel, different story.

We have several open machines so cleaning is a big priority. We have one operator and one setup/operator for nine mills. Our operator usually runs 4 machines and cleans. Our set/up guy is usually running 1 machine and setting up another. The other programmer and myself are usually programming, setting up and running brand new jobs on the other machines. We do not like operators to sit down. In fact we just let a guy go a while back because he would push the button and have a seat. I never sat down as an operator unless I was deburring or polishing and I always cleaned. We have a relaxed fun enviroment but there is always something to do in the shop. In my opinion operators should keep the machines running, check parts, keep the machines in good working condition, keep their area clean, and in our case do the reqiured paper work for each job.

quote:

we just let a guy go a while back because he would push the button and have a seat

Wow tough shop. I also never sat down as an operator until this job, but as long as the work is being done, I dont really see the difference. The shop I am at now, you dont usually have the option to run more then one machine, and the shop is always clean, so there really isnt alot to do while the machine is running. As long as you arent in the cafetera all day, and you get the job done, the bosses are happy.

work starts at 5am, unscheduled coffee and b/s session break till 5:20 then make your way to the machine (if you dont get sidetrcked on the way by more b/s) then run parts at your leisure, make phone calls and read just sit during your long cycle time and dont forget smoke breaks.

and this is on dayshift while the bosses are here. off shifts have it much easier.

a couple weeks ago a guy got taken to HR and was told he need to be here when his shift started and not leave early for break or lunch and not be late coming back and he told them " I guess I'll have to decide if I still want to work here".

part of the problem is the high volume of work we have and the lack of experienced machinists available. anyone that is halfway decent can get away with murder because we need them.

its very frustrating trying to get jobs through here. of course these comments are my personal opinions and only reflect a percentage of the people here. but at any rate you could do as you please for a long time without being reprimanded.

luckily we have new upper management in house and the ax is swinging and things are changing.

so there is change a coming!!

Mcam Nut,

I can see your point and I realize every shop is different and every situation is unique. We have been expanding over the past year so there have been a lot of extra tasks that needed to be done aside from just making good parts. If the operator has idle time we try to figure out how he can spend it most productively. Our owner does not like operators to sit down or just stand around and watch machines run. That is one of the reasons we don't have one operator for every machine. As a programmer I still set up machines and run parts on a daily basis. It is a very demanding evnviroment to work in no matter what your position in the company. They also take very good care of us here so I don't mind the extra effort.

quote:

work starts at 5am, unscheduled coffee and b/s session break till 5:20 then make your way to the machine (if you dont get sidetrcked on the way by more b/s) then run parts at your leisure, make phone calls and read just sit during your long cycle time

Do we work together ?? LOL tongue.giftongue.gif

We got PCs at all the machines so the forum is always near. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

I have 2 guys that setup/run 4 barfeed lathes. Four more guys to setup/run 6 stand alone lathes. Four more guys to setup/run 6 vertical machining centers. One lathe department surpervisor/programmer, and one mill department supervisor/programmer. No maintenance department. We run lean so there is no time for reading, pc games, chit chatting, cell phones, or any of that. There is always another machine to setup/run/clean/or repair. Thats the way the owner wants it. The pay is better than most but you must produce.

I have just the opposite situation, I program and operate our CNC machine. During long run times, I program the next job(s), deburr my parts, rough cut stock for my next job if needed, clean the machine and my area, order tooling and set stuff up for the next job. When the boss is gone, I get to be the boss on top of all my other responsibilities. I try as hard as possible to keep my machine running the whole time during my shift, which means I have to make simple yet effective fixtures and plan ahead, not to mention hustle when the thing shuts off. I also have to do routine maintenance and repairs myself. For my attention to detail and quality, and my desire to constantly improve, I get paid the same as the manual machinists in our shop, including the slackers that take umpteen smoke breaks a day and the guy who whines like an old lady anytime he gets a job he doesn't like, and consequently under-produces on purpose. But what keeps me going is the dream of seeing the look on my bosses face when I find another job and he realizes no real programmer/operaters will work there.