Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X4 MU2

quote:

I find it ironic that the ability to disable an "enhancement" from a previous release is considered an "enhancement".

That likely is my biggest gripe with CNC's trend toward bells and whistles instead of focusing on reliable rock solid performance of what they already have, then when you have an upgrade, wait until you can implement the entire upgrade instead half the toolpaths one way half another. They did the same thing with V7 with toolpath associativity...2D first 3D later and it was irritating to work with.

The trend with machine and control manager to "help tell you that machine wont work on that part" when you should know that, previews of obvious tasks that people 99% know what will aready happen, stairs- doors and art in 5 axis CNC mill package are very sad to see. Every customer pays for those developements, and the more components they add, the greater potential for problems...plain and simple. Like many people, I've learned to save file under multiple names, exit and re-enter MC, reboot machine...for multitudes of reasons. While I wait for improved system stability MC is off adding create window for my house that will come with 5axis mill package.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find it ironic that the ability to disable an "enhancement" from a previous release is considered an "enhancement".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That likely is my biggest gripe with CNC's trend toward bells and whistles instead of focusing on reliable rock solid performance...

This is what happens when marketing people take over. The guys doing the work are getting a bad rap. It's the marketing people that are (and have been for some time now) large and in-charge. frown.gif The fact they are steering the ship is the problem.

JM2C

Bullet Bob,

If you have a bug number, you can always send QC an e-mail and ask if it was fixed. Myself, I have a list of numbers I keep when they issue me a bug number. When I see it's been fixed, I remove it from my list. I usually use the Bug Fix list we get with Beta Releases.

HTH

quote:

This is what happens when marketing people take over. The guys doing the work are getting a bad rap. It's the marketing people that are (and have been for some time now) large and in-charge. The fact they are steering the ship is the problem.

I agree 100%. Who lets these idiots run the show anyways? One way to sink a technical company is to let marketing folks make the decisions. Sure, people might buy the product because of the great marketing campaign, but the second programmers start using the product they will realize it was all smoke and mirrors and they will be unhappy customers.

CNC needs to start focusing on quality and selling their product on its merits. They need to let the folks with the technical backgrouds make the decisions again. The technical folks need to grow a pair :-) The EXISTING USERS want reliable, rock solid performance. How do we get this through to the marketing idiots?

Perhaps not on topic, but since it was mentioned here, I strongly disagree with the statements in file size differences between solid and surfaces. Surface files are a pig for me. Programming off MC solids only since V7 without any problems. I did the simple test as described. Took a solid file (1788kb) with all the history, created surfaces from solid, deleted solid and all wireframe entities, saved surface file. Size is now 4093kb.

I'll stick with solids.

quote:

Your question about "why" a bug list is not provided aside, what would you gain from not switching to MU2

From a CAM administrator point of view, with many internal customers to support and several machines to update, I´d say that a bug list is á very reasonable request. As a Pro/E / Pro/NC admin I like the Update Advisor tool that PTC offers at their website. Before upgrading to a new datecode I can compare the current and target version and find out at a glance what have been fixed/changed... and if the upgrade is worth or not...

I think that it is much easier to justify to my boss why I decided to set a war operation to upgrade the software...

Besides, when I have to sit with him once a year to ask money for the maintenance bills, is very helpful to have a list to show off...

JM2C

quote:

Perhaps not on topic, but since it was mentioned here, I strongly disagree with the statements in file size differences between solid and surfaces. Surface files are a pig for me. Programming off MC solids only since V7 without any problems. I did the simple test as described. Took a solid file (1788kb) with all the history, created surfaces from solid, deleted solid and all wireframe entities, saved surface file. Size is now 4093kb.

I'll stick with solids.

Possibly I should further qualify my statement. With simple or planer models the solids in size will be reduced vs surface.

In complex curved, swarfed and irrigular shaped models the suface model will be 2-3x + smaller in size (especially with step import vs iges from customers...not the stp or iges file, the saved Mastercam solid vs surface file). Doing alot of large aerospace type hogouts you will notice this. And its these times when system resources are pushed toward limits, the system stablity takes a dive, and vulnerability or at least system lag will climb.

If you care to email me I can send you some examples of this.

quote:

step import

If you have access to SolidWorks, import the step files into SW and export them back out as parasolids..in my experience Mastercam behaves better with parasolid models.

Maybe thats because Mastercam's solid modeler

is UG's parasolid modeler.

I've had many step files that were a mess in Mastercam that came in clean after a stp in

X_B out from SolidWorks.

• 1 month later...

When you copy or move entities to another lvl

and they don't show in the level manager.

When you delete entities be they still show on the screen.

When you go to top view and all you geometry disappears but shows in all other views.

(for a few Examples)

Regen display clears that up so you don't have to

close and restart MC which also works. but as your file grows you may need to restart MC to clear up some display issues.

I don't use repaint because zooming or changing and rotating veiws constantly, does not require it.