Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam on CNN

Glenn Bouman

quote:

Good story, but not exactly "new" technology. We were doing that 15 years ago and I don't claim to be an old timer.

The words of the reporter are not to be taken literally, especially since the reporter has tailored his story to people outside of the metal working industry.

The spirit of the story is what’s important – manufacturing jobs aren’t dirty, skill less jobs anymore. That’s the point and that’s what is really important to the growth of this industry and what is needed to attract young people to it and in some ways what’s needed to convince the politicians how important manufacturing is. If you think the politicians already understand this, you are dead wrong.

This story really has nothing to do with new technology; it’s all about the change in factory worker’s responsibilities and roles in manufacturing. Although CNC manufacturing is far from new, the perception of manufacturing has yet to be changed for the many who are not a part of it. That’s the whole point of this story.

Dave,

It was presented as "the new way of doing things", or lean manufacturing. CNC has been around for 40 years (which, in and of itself, I wasn't even referring to, although I may not have made that clear). Someone programming AND running the machine has been around for a long time. I think the reporter has no idea what goes on in a machining facility. The script that he was reading probably said "C & C."

People were bitching 15 years ago that "everyone thinks we work in a dirty, dim lit barn." You're right, it still hasn't changed.

I *did* compliment "the story," BTW. wink.gif

Thad

Sorry guys I loved the story. I have been saying this about our profession since I got into back in the 80's. I caught so much flack for getting into this profession. Why not be a Doctor or Lawyer or Engineer. Guess what I make a lot more than many of them do. I am a lot happier and feel I have gained a life only doing this would have given me. People still see my job as a get your hands dirty profession, but sorry I would rather get my hands dirty with oil, coolant, or other metal related things than blood. Do not get me wrong blood doesn't bother me, but I would still rather do what I am doing. I also have nothing but respect for other professions. The thing is you do not see that same kind of respect back to our profession. We are just mechanics is most people's mind. Again nothing against mechanics, but what we do as CNC programmers is very technical, requires a lot of training, and yes some intelligence.

I tell everyone I have a PHD in manufacturing. Years ago people were considered educated and professional at their job just by doing it for years. They were respected for that and not looked down upon. I always try to educate people about this profession and what it takes to do this type of a job. I have got a lot of people in this profession. To many are leaving or not getting into this profession. Willingness to help others, train others, and get people excited about this is what more ne3ed to be doing. That is why I like the story and like to see a good light shown on it.

Improving the perception of what we do will get more people into this profession. I talk to people all the time I think would be interested or good in this profession. What are others doing to keep this profession moving with this type of involvement care and concern?

Good find and thanks for the link:

"Crazy", the profession has to fit the person. This trade is a good fit for a thinking person that is fascinated by things mechanical...look at all the gun/ motorcycle / flying posts in off topic.

I would not want to do anything else...

They had a retired aerospace Machinist on CSI last thursday night with a shop in his garage and basement....pretty cool except he shot and killed his neighbors!!! course not his fault, a serial killer had hired him to make some special fixtures for brain surgery and then used them on him (did surgery on him on his surface plate). He somehow knocked him out and planted radioactive material in his brain and he woke up and did not know what had happedend, etc. Bad headache that made him crazy hot tempered killer.

My ER doctor a few years back when I hurt my knee was asking me the normal questions (to keep my mind off the pain) about what I did for a living. I told him I was a CNC machinist. He was saying that he was thinking of becoming a machinist before he became a doctor and the nurses actually laughed at him. Then the doctor tried to convince them that he was serious. The thing I thought was the most impressive sadly was that he knew what a machinist was. In the end the nurses still had no clue but I have a lot of respect for that doctor.

Like Ron said I also take any chance I get to talk to people I think would be interested or good in this profession. This is a fun job to have in my opinion and I love sharing that with everyone I can.

Kevangel I think that is exactly what Ron is saying, you need to be a good fit into any trade.

mig, I honestly think that it's not too late but people like us have to sell more and more people on this trade and manufacturing the US in general.

I really wish we would see more things like this on the major networks. The more we can get it out there that this is not a dirty job the better things will get. Can anyone really say a news story like this is a bad thing?

"Mathematical computations on the fly if adjustments are needed"

Offsets?

"Each worker is a Computer programmer, machinist, and Quality Control Engineer. It's called lean Manufacturing."

Sounds expensive.

"And it pays like a white collar job does. 50k to 80K a year depending on experience and job training."

50k for a Noob down south, livin large. Does anyone believe this?

"We're asking our employees, What are your ideas, what is the best way to get there?

Is this before or after they quote the work.

IMO, there is nothing in that video that couldn't be performed by an ambitious High school grad that took trade related courses in school. All the work looked simple and could be programmed at the machine. We've been down that road in other post. 1 programmer, 5 machines or 5 programmers with 5 machines, where the spindles are sitting idle too often. Too many chiefs, not enough injuns. That whole video was nothing but filler.

"The words of the reporter are not to be taken literally, especially since the reporter has tailored his story to people outside of the metal working industry." I totally agree with that statement

Wow, how many programs have you seen on TV that covers machining and manufacturing lately. I think any airtime that us machinist can get is good airtime. The general public could care less about how they operate the shop, but seeing the machines and showing people that it's not a sweat shop, should help the image of US manufacturing.

I'm not saying that with just this one show it's going to turn it around. But it might just reach a few people that thinks that looks pretty cool. Make a good living, learn a skill that you can take with you and find a job almost anywhere. I'm sorry but if your bitchin about this show then you just don't see the bigger picture.

quote:

Why not be a Doctor or Lawyer or Engineer

Almost nobody can get into medical school anymore as they have so many top top applicants.. biggrin.gif my last biz partners daughter just got into a D.O. school and still waiting for a M.D. school. (she got accepted at several D.O. medical schools and was top of her class,etc)..