Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Clear Colors - A poll from CFP data

After spending a few minutes analyzing the CFP data (Customer Feedback Program). We realized that the Clear Color function was used over 250,000 times over a short period of time. Looking at that information further leads me to ask a few questions regarding Mastercam Defaults

First let me explain Clear Colors a little better

- Everytime an Xform function is completed Mastercam creates two temporary groups that can be used for selection.

- The groups are called “Group” which is the source geometry used during the Xform operation, and “Result” which is what Xform produced.

- By default Mastercam temporarily changes the colors of the “Group” geometry to red, and the “Results” geometry to magenta.

- The only way to restore the geometry back to its “real” color is to use the Clear Colors function, which also eliminates the group names.

- It is possible to change a setting in Config that eliminates the color change, thus eliminating the requirement to use Clear Colors.

So given that information I have these poll questions…

X-form has been working fine this way for a long time and the visual confirmation of what you just did is worth the extra click.

However, I'm not impressed with the repaint issues. With a Quadro FX1800 card, I shouldn't have to constantly force a repaint with F3, mouse wheel flick, or tap my space pilot pro.

That's something I spend way more time doing.

All joking aside,(CNC you're listening, right?) now that its been mentioned in the forum, I'm noticing how much I have to "clear colors".

I wouldn't mind a radio button or similar on the Xform toolbar so I can choose whether or not I want the group/result colors while I'm in the function, rather than a switch in the config settings.

BTW - The trojan episode was a Vista thing or a corrupt download. IDK. Advanced heuristics was turned on and Norton didn't like the file. The second time went without a hitch though. All in all, I think Vista just doesn't work at all.

Win7 64bit hasn't crashed on me yet. :fingers crossed

Bullet Bob, please start a new thread about your crashing issues so you can get some help, it shouldn't do that.

But it does say you also run ProE, if you graphics card is setup to work well with pro I have seen issues with Mastercam. Set it up to work well with Mastercam and you'll likely have issues with Pro...

I send in the crash reports most of the time but after a few YEARS it gets tiresome, especially when it is midnight and I really need to get parts done. I haven't changed any graphics settings and I am not sure what settings I should change to make things more stable. These issues have been present on two computers I have used. The old computer used a Nvidia Quadro 1500 graphics card and the new computer is a Dell Precision 6400 laptop with a Nvidia Quadro 3700M graphics card.

My maintenance is due at the end of this month and I don't think I will be cutting a check this time. I have been paying close attention to the threads regarding the higher end CAM systems (Powermill, NX, etc...). I might just save my maintenance $$$ to get into one of those packages. For full 3-axis the prices are VERY competitive with Mastercam.