Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

opening GE3, MC7 in MCAMX

Mark H

ARGH! Wouldnt you know it, the minute I get a new computer with windows 7 I need to open up an MC7 file (I havent had the need in years!) And of course MCAM 7-8-9 wont run on a windows 7 64-bit, and MCAMX doesnt open those old files.

Anybody have a chook for MCAMX?

Luckily I still have my old box, but what a pain to hook it all back up just to get a couple of dimensions.

banghead.gif

[ 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

Mark, I was about to start a new thread about this, I am the only 1 at my place using newer than V9 and just tried to get some info on this. I found on the FTP under VBscripts GE3_2_MC9.zip. this will let you do a folder at a time in V9 then you can import folder or something in X and do a bunch of files at a time. But it's no help in my case because I can't run 9 on my 64 bit system frown.gif . I need something to do this straight from .ge3 to X so I don't have to bug my co-workers to do it for me.

Weird, when I read the topic, I was wondering for a sec if I did create it.

quote:

Mark, Windoze 7 has an XP emulation mode. that should allow you to run V9.

I tried (as have others on this board), but it wont get past the hasp check on startup (searching for hasp - or whatever...) The only people successful getting V9 to run on Win 7 64-bit have the nethasp. With the regular hasp Mcam won't work. I'm all ears if someone has done this successfully. But doing a search on this site come ups with the same result - Nope! I tried a few things (compatibility mode...) but no luck.

Gunther,

Thanks for all your help with this.

I have one last problem. When I run the script on a folder. It still has the .ge3 in the file name. Here is an example of what the file name looks like after I do the conversion.

Before file name: Robert.ge3

After VBS conversion: Robert.ge3.mc9

I can open the file in MCX after the conversion. But I have to rename the file and erase the .ge3 from the file name. I would hate to have to manually rename all my old files.

Do you know what might be causing this?

Thanks

Robert

• 8 months later...

Sorry cant seem to find it, but from what I remember running V9 in windows 7 was problematic.

And as others stated...

Your best best is to build a dual boot system..(Win7 / XP) or just keep an old XP machine around..

• 6 years later...

Hello from the distant past!

I realize this post is 6 years old, but I'm in need of some info.  I'm trying to open up mc7 in mcam9, with the intention of then opening those mc9 files in mcx-9.  This vb file you've posted seems to do that (Convert MC8_MC7_GE3 files to MC9) but when I use it, it stops at every file to warn me that the nci file is updating to a valid directory on my system.  

Can you reccomend any way to get around this?  I don't even need the NCI file really.  The only info from the file I need is the drawing.  

If you see this, thanx for any info you might be able to offer.  

6 minutes ago, grimm said:

Can you reccomend any way to get around this? 

Yup, leave the past in the past  :)

In all seriousness though, these files reside I am guessing in different directories now....whether you need the nci or not, it is tied to the toolpaths that reside in the files...not sure you're going to find a way around it.

maybe a Form Filler, like the one Thad has linked in his siggy can automate those clicks for you

http://www.aformfiller.com/

Edited by Guest