Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T I was so much older then!

Jack Mitchell

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im with you chris m ive had those days like im sure weve all had where this trade sucks ... but all in all i like doing something different week in week out not shoving paper .. or frezzing my a** off etc... it might not be the most money$$$$ job but the job satisfaction sure is rewarding!!! i think ill stick it out for 20 or more years started in this trade right out of high school 1983!!! cheers.gif

Ive been in this trade for almost 7 years now.

the first 4 years Ive spent with a reseller as tecnical support engineer for all software they were handling... Mastercam, Delcam, Renishaw and even japanese 2d CAMS. The bulk of our customers is more inclined on mastercam (it's the truth).

one time Ive also teach mastercam in an institute too.

Then the past 3 years Ive been using mastercam programming airplane parts. Ive never operated a Machine though.

But there are a lot of times when I regreted having been involved in this trade...But having to sit down from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM in front of the pc imagining the cutting process, I guess it was just normal... But every time a first part is finished! It just feels amazing that when I got home, I have to tell my wife.

quote:

But every time a first part is finished! It just feels amazing

I know how you feel Jerome. We do Prototypes here, mostly all one of a kind and the first time anyone sees the parts in reality and not on a computer screen. Sometimes at the end of a project when it's all painted up looking better than it ever will (until it leaves our place and some sales guy throws it in the trunk and speeds off across a few states while it rolls around back there eek.gif ) I just stand back and go - woah, I made that? Especialy if it's something that I did all the CAD/surfacing/solid work for. I love taking something from paper, creating it in MC/Rhino toolpathing and machining it.

I can remember the first year I worked here we had no CNC and all our models were built by hand. Talk about getting satisfaction out of your job, man you really felt like you accomplished something after you've carved it out yourself with your bare hands a file or 2 and a bridgeport. Sometimes I miss those days, but I would't trade what I do now for anything (except maybe the same job in a more professional environment rolleyes.gif ).

cheers.gif 2/7/66 cheers.gif

I'm with Zero on how it feels taking something from paper (and now a video screen!) and machining it. This may not be the most prestigious or best paying trade, but I get alot of satisfaction from what I do and having something tangable at the end of the day to show for your time is great biggrin.gif . I still can't believe that I have been in machining half my life now cool.gif !!!

I don't want to appear to preach so just take this as my opinion.

Some here seem to have a poor us attitude when it comes to machining. Most of us working and I hope no one had go to bed hungry last night. I agree with those who said they take a lot of pride seeing a project to completion. As a challenge, take a look around you and try to find something that a machinist DIDN'T have a hand in making. This won't be easy.

I think we all would like a dream job (different for each of us) but life is about realities and in the real world being a machinist is a pretty good way to feed yourself and your children.

Phil smile.gif

PhilCott:

I agree with you. It puts food on the table and a roof over our head. I just wish the food was lobster and the roof was in Hawaii 3 months of the year. But seriously, I love this trade. I love to make stuff. The sense of accomplishment is great. I also love it when people think making stuff is so simple but they hire me to get the stuff made because they can't seem to get it done right.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry guys, been buried at work and not much time to come in and chat. I saw this thread and just figured I'd get around to looking at it sooner or later. I'm taking a break, and pulling another all-nighter probably.

Well I just turned 33 the day before Christmas. I'm still a pup. Only been in the trade for 11 years and I still am passionate about "making stuff". Oh 12/24/69

[ 02-06-2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]