Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What's TrueMill? Oh, I was conservative too. I could have cut the cycle time more, and may, depending on tool life. I think the customer would be ecstatic with a 7 minute roughing cycle, don't you agree?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's right... I totally forgot about SmurfCAM Rick Sometimes I forget they exist. I see it around so infrequently now. Mainly run into MC of course, then probably a tie between Esprit and Delcam's offerings, after that probably a tie between UG and CATIA, then Gibbs, then Pro/E... after that would probably be SurfCAM, then Hypermill I think. Anything after CATIA/UG, I run into only about once a year.

This particular part was 2D. Got a 3D project I'm working on that holds similar promise as well. Have a couple of Timestudies to do first, then onto the 3D/5-Ax stuff.

:sleeping: I think that this might be more exciting to me had I not been using volumill for a year prior to any of the dynamic tool paths. That included 3d roughing which came two years before opti and then rest roughing far before opti-rest. Its hard to get excited when youve already had the functionality the whole time.

Maybe thats why my point of view is skewed. I'd rather see bug fixes. ;)

Just saved a customer today with a dynamic toolpath. Roughing used to take 16min... now it's a shade under 9 min. 15-5 stainless job. They used to have to change the corners on their insert tool after every part. They just ran 5 parts with a 1/2" endmill and it shows no sign of wear yet. They make 5,000 of these parts each year.

For those following along that would be in the neighborhood of 583 machining hours saved per year or 14 days of somethign else that machine can run now. Depending on the shop rate, they could have bought a few seats of software brand spanking on the savings of that one part.

Not saying there are not issues because there are, but... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 1

Just saved a customer today with a dynamic toolpath. Roughing used to take 16min... now it's a shade under 9 min. 15-5 stainless job. They used to have to change the corners on their insert tool after every part. They just ran 5 parts with a 1/2" endmill and it shows no sign of wear yet. They make 5,000 of these parts each year. For those following along that would be in the neighborhood of 583 machining hours saved per year or 14 days of somethign else that machine can run now. Depending on the shop rate, they could have bought a few seats of software brand spanking on the savings of that one part. Not saying there are not issues because there are, but... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Wow 42 hours per day. Ohh tru, in US everything is bigger, better and longer :thumbup:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

:sleeping: I think that this might be more exciting to me had I not been using volumill for a year prior to any of the dynamic tool paths. That included 3d roughing which came two years before opti and then rest roughing far before opti-rest. Its hard to get excited when youve already had the functionality the whole time.

Maybe thats why my point of view is skewed. I'd rather see bug fixes. ;)

That was not for your entertainment... narcissist much? In this sea of negativity, I wanted to throw something positive in there. Some of us have been modeling some these toolpaths for years so it's nothing new to us either, but the fact that one does not have to model a custom toolpath anymore is a good thing and not everybody knows about them.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think they're dividing 583 hours by 14 days... = 41.64ish.

Fat fingered... I saw 41 for some reason, I guess my eye saw wat shoudl have been there and didn't see what was there... DOH! My bad. :D

Not being narcissistic, just having a hard time seeing the positive when there were solutions around years ahead of CNC's offerings that were very decently priced. I could just as easily give 50 examples of how much time that I have lost finding work arounds and battling crashes and other bugs so forgive me for sounding "narcissistic". I have a feeling that if people had been aware of how well these paths worked 5 years ago they would have been happy to have purchased Cimco's or Volumill's addon had they been guaranteed that CNC would have spent those years focusing on fixing all of their xxxx ups rather than developing new xxxx ups. At least then everyone would have been given a choice. You realize that some people do not even use this xxxx.

I know that you are just trying to shine a positive light somewhere in this dark thread but I think that CNC really needs to pull their heads out of their xxxx and realize how important it is that this stuff get fixed.

That was not for your entertainment... narcissist much? In this sea of negativity, I wanted to throw something positive in there. Some of us have been modeling some these toolpaths for years so it's nothing new to us either, but the fact that one does not have to model a custom toolpath anymore is a good thing and not everybody knows about them.

• Like 2

LMAO. :)

My definition of narcissistic in this case, is to continue to release software that is bug ridden year after year and then continually brag about being the #1 software company in Cad/Cam.

Thats right, you tell em Neurosis.

In time one of two things will happen.... they will either finally listen to you and fix the problems.... or you will die of old age , so you won't have to worry about it anymore, and they won't have to listen to it, and therefore continue on as normal.

My bet is on old age.

Thats right, you tell em Neurosis.

In time one of two things will happen.... they will either finally listen to you and fix the problems.... or you will die of old age , so you won't have to worry about it anymore, and they won't have to listen to it, and therefore continue on as normal.

My bet is on old age.

You're quite the optimist. :thumbsup:

Depending on the shop rate, they could have bought a few seats of software brand spanking on the savings of that one part.

I agree 100%. This improvement could have bought a few seats of ANY CAM package. Daily productivity increases are worth serious $$$, enough that the cost of the package is really pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. I am seeing this first hand after taking delivery of my new Makino horizontal mill after running Haas machines exclusively. It doesn't take much of a productivity increase on a daily basis to justify the increased expense of better equipment and this is exactly why Mastercam had better get with it when it comes to the bugs. If Powermill can save me an hour per day in programming or machine time (single shift) over Mastercam is would equate to around $20k of additional annual income. That would easily justify the best CAM package money can buy. For a business owner looking long-term the cost is pocket change. The $1500 additional monthly payment of the Makino (over my Haas VM3) is a small price for the increased productivity and quality that it brings to the table and the exact same holds true for the CAM side of things.

As you have illustrated above, it pays to stay at the leading edge of technology and CNC had better make sure they are in that position, otherwise their software will be costing their customers serious $$$ in lost productivity over the competition. As a shop owner this is exactly how I look at it.

• Like 3

Not trying to be a pessimist here but be care full what you wish for. Old bugs, new bugs, whatever the case may be, it's hard to beat the over all functionality of MC in a 2d realm. And to be quite honest, I don't have very many issues with the old school tool paths in 3D work either. I've dabbled in some of the HST tool paths only when I have free time and definitely understand there allure. Once you get the 2d HST to work, it's awesome. Powermill, NX, Catia and others may be just fine at making a 5X tool path dance, have better stock set up functionality and machine tool simulation, but they suck at 2d. Way too many pages and options to go through. Nasty learning curve as well.

OT.. James, you mentioned Catia launching in about 30 seconds with a SSD. Heh, I literally timed a launch at over 2 minutes using a standard 7200 rpm sata drive, on a quad core machine in a 64bit OS,  I thought the machine had crashed. WTF is that about? Is this the norm?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
OT.. James, you mentioned Catia launching in about 30 seconds with a SSD. Heh, I literally timed a launch at over 2 minutes using a standard 7200 rpm sata drive, on a quad core machine in a 64bit OS, I thought the machine had crashed. WTF is that about? Is this the norm?

That's pretty much thenorm. I've seen anywhere from 1:30 to over 4:00 depending on the system. I have no idea why it takes so long. I know there's ALOT to it but sheesh. 30sec is not bad though. I can live with that.