Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

curious feedback

bamavick

Let me first say that I don't program for the Mills here were I work but I was told something that I had to get some feedback on before I believe it. We currently do all our Cam work in Mastercam and I was told that Mastercam is not good with fine detail work because we are always breaking cutters... But it is great with the thicker parts where we are using larger cutter taking out a lot of material. I was told that certain Cam software was better with the fine detail than others and visa-versa. Any feedback, comments, arguments are welcome. Like I said, I was just curious what some would have to say about that?

I have done a lot of very intricate engraving using Mastercam. Is that delicate enough?

The software is as delicate as the programmer instructs it to be. Can other software do some things better, or easier? Yes and no. Each software available has its pros and cons. Overall, Mastercam does everything I have ever tried to program. Sometimes it takes a little more work in programming, but the job gets done.

shenanigans on that, perhaps said operator of the software that needs some work on his details,,, no problems with accuracy here small or large, we do mixed work and use a fair amount of the 3x milling toolpaths mcam has to offer, i would say the major diffrence between most top tier cam is the user interface and work flow.

Yep! that D@#$ program just won't work!!! Great way to get out off something wrong isn't it, just get another program and eveything is fixed...or is it.

There's an old adage that goes something like this "it's a poor workman who blames his tools" Get him some trianing

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've done a fair amount of machining with .010" endmills and did not break one due to problems with MC. I broke the little sucker touching it off... WITH MY Inter-rapid indicator. :o BUt MC did exactly what I instructed it to do.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have to agree with everyone else her.

I think the problem might be between the chair and the keyboard.

We run .010- .020 emills with tight tols. from time to time here with no issues from MC.

Now machine setting, bad machines, tuff materials and brave operators changing settings, different story all together.

i'm on board with everyone else. i just finished machining an intricate logo with recessed cross hatching using a 1/32" ball end mill, and mastercam performed flawlessly.

and... i'm a noob. been running CAM and a CNC mill for a total of 6 months now. never had any problem with mastercam producing detail of any level.

every broken tool has been 100% my fault. never mastercam. it does what it's told.