Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T How many got Blasted??

Müřlıń®

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovesan was/is pretty impressive with one exception, they made the DoS attack go to http://windowsupdate.com instead of http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. MS used to forward the first one to the correct one, but turned off the forwarding 2 days before the DoS payload was gonna execute. If they had gotten the URL right, I don't think MS could have thought of a good response in time..

Maybe it's not cool for me to think that someone unleashing DoS payloads on MS is cool. But I can't help it, it makes me smile.

What, Murlin??? Virus bug got you? Holy sh!$

How bad? E-mail attachment? Or are you talking about something else? Sounds like a virus to me.

Fill us in, be more specific.

Website browsing can bite you too, just not as common as e-mails.

Damn hackers!!! mad.gifmad.gif

They hack, make viruses, hack, make viruses. Who gets off on this crap?

O/T I heard Israeli Intelligence source said Al Qaida hacked our computer systems to cause the big blackout! The sources have been right about stuff in the past. More terrorist bombings... mad.gifmad.gif those sons of bitches!!!

Well I had a friend that wrokd at a major provider for the country that the fellow worker where just sitting around writing viruses to send to customers. He said they fired 50 people in one week for doing it. I have got them on several occuasions and just bug the system got one once hard to reload the whole system that sucked.

I have put in a firewall to avoid Tojans attacks.

Crazy Millman

A couple of funny things about Blaster .

It uses the notorious sequrity hole of RPC service port 135.

This service only available for NT family ,so all the family is vulnerable .

Now it sends tcp package on some random IP address

If you have NT famyly sistem it cause buffer overflow .

This guy designed it so that it will write a worm dropper to the memmory.

But buffer overflow is a tricky thing and differs from NT to 2000 and XP.

He wrote virus so that 20% of sending packages will be for 2000 and 80 % for XP .

If the package are wrong it will crash computer and that`s all.

So it will only crash NT every time and with XP you are 4 times more vulnerable than with 2000!

Anyway , you must remove virus ,patch the windows kernel with Microsoft patch and firewall is the must.

Good luck to all the Windows users and consider to use Linux at home.

Just pay attention how much time and money loss took Windows to patch a hole that was known from the NT times!

Iskander teh just helped to remove virus from my friends computers 3 times in 2 days !

Murlin it is kind of funny you brought this up. I didnt get the "bomb" but I get 11 emails yesterday all carrying viruses to my email account that is listed here. This is the only place I have this particular email available to everyone.

I am sure it is just a fluke, but am I alone on this? My personal account has not recieved any of this?

edit: I just checked my email from over night, I got one email from Thad, and 33 emails that contained "W32.Sobig.F@mm virus"... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif the xxxx

[ 08-20-2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

quote:

As in The latest Worm Virus?

Yup.....I have a firewall up and never open up any e-mail attachments.

Haven't got a clue.......

I have XP and I couldn't even stay in Windows long enough to do the fix.

Tried to boot up in safe mode and that was a mistake. My PC wouldn't get out of that screen.

Kept rebooting from there. C: drive was crashed.

I was using the NTFS.

I am guessing it was the Blaster Worm.

But I didn't know that one would completly crash your HDD.

But I'm kinda ignorant about that stuff...

Still don't have all my software loaded....

That's it....I'm Ghosting my whole system on a CD.........shoulda done that from the start......

**throws a coconut at Ripper** biggrin.gif

Murlin

[ 08-20-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

I got 173 emails in a 1/2 hour period yesterday, all related to the W32.Sobig.F@mm virus.

I'm using the SpamBayes Outlook Addin:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/spambayes/

SpamBayes filtered them all as Possible Spam.

BTW, I'm also using SAproxy for all POP3 mail:

http://saproxy.bloomba.com/

Both are free and are helping significantly with Spam, and in this case Spam with virii.

[ 08-20-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

We got the blaster at 2 computers here at work. My boss got it, and I got it. He had a few problems with his being he was running Win2k pro with no service packs...nothing too bad though. I didn't have any real problems on my box, heh I had it for at least a week, if not more, before I realized it. When I first heard of it, I checked my task manager and no blaster, but it was there lurking somewhere. It was plasstav's post in another thread mentioning that copy & paste not working is one of the symptoms (thanks dude cheers.gif ) that tipped me off.

As for e-mails, I don't even look at them if I don't know the person that sent it.

[ 08-20-2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Yup.....I have a firewall up and never open up any e-mail attachments.

Murlin !

If you under firewall doesn`t mean that you are safe.

If your port 135 is opened to everyone you are in danger !

Just check who uses the 135 port and block the virus from using port 135.

Disconnect yourself from internet,try to boot using last good configuration ,Disengage files restore function using control panel, delete the virus,install the patch from Microsoft and reconfigure your firewall !

quote:

I didn't have any real problems on my box, heh I had it for at least a week, if not more, before I realized it

Generally speaking I found Win2000pro far more stable ,safe and better made than XP, I think it is the best OS Microsoft ever made !

Computers is my sorta hobby ,repairs ,viruses,upgrade,networking,protection that`s what I do a lot and am saying this from my humbe experience!

Never will change one 2000pro for ten XP.

It is one big hole that has even the old holes in security that 2000 and NT have and a lot more !

/edit

removed by Rekd request

/edit

TO PROTECT YOUR DATA YOU MUST PROTECT YOUR PC FROM NOT TRUSTED PEOPLE , NO PASSWORD PROTECTION IS SAFE ENOUGH !

[ 08-21-2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

Just a tip i learned a while ago, if you put this in your address book [email protected] it will prevent YOU from spreading viruses. This will place it self FIRST in you addy book. It cancelles that particular email. Some of the viruses that we get, grab your address book, and attach themselves to a new message and send it to EVERYONE in your addy book. If more ppl did this it would help stop the worm's.

JM2C cheers.gif

[ 08-20-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

Hackers are just programmers that have been enticed by the "Dark Side" of the net. Most of them just snoop around, and are responsible for alot of the cool security devlopments on the internet.

There are alot of vb programmers, script writers web wizards etc.. That have access to your system via windows/explorer. If its on you hard drive then it is exposed. Carnivore(or whatever they call it now) and other programs interact with your pc hardware directly. (nutella, etc.)

It is the morals that keep people (most) from sending out malicius programs that do harm.

I think that Charles Davis brought up the waterhead that wanted to embed worm type software in mp3's to destroy your data if your secretary downloaded the latest metallica song. I thought innocent till proven guilty. The guy wanting to do this is a senator or something. If he gets some sort of law saying it is ok to embed this stuff in files then we will have to go back to the old days of kermit. The net wont be safe.

I am curious as to how many of you have ever seen a "virus" on a pc that did not have anti virus software installed?

Jimmy

Jimmy you would have to go pretty far back in memory to see a comp that does NOT have some sort of protection. HP, Dell, Gateway, Compaq, all of them come with either Norton or McCaffee already installed on them. Most comp. manufacturers would preffer you to have this rather than the countless suporrt calls the would inevitably recieve.

I had a computer for 5 years with windows 98 on it and got a virus 1 time with no anti virus software on it at all. When it gut struck by lightning this year for the 6th time, it was finally time to get a new one. Got a 2 gig hp, never registered the anti virus software on that one either and just got a virus on that. With a 56k modem at home, which is my only option other than satellite, when I get on, I want to play, not download "updates" all the time. So 2 viruses in 6 years with no anti virus protection. Coincidence? Lucky? Who knows.....

quote:

So 2 viruses in 6 years with no anti virus protection. Coincidence? Lucky? Who knows.....

Probably a lot of luck, but a little common sense helps a LOT.

Iskandar, while I can appreciate your knowledge and insight on this, I can only wonder how many of the 6,000 plus members here may take what you suggested beyond what it was intended for. Most people don't know about this, and it's prolly for the better. I don't suppose you'd consider removing that part of your post, would you?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

'Rekd teh knows just enough to get into serious trouble

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

COuple of things I do are NEVER open up attachments you are not expecting or that have strange file extentions. NEVER, and I mean NEVER open up an e-mail with an attachment from someone you don't know. Also, I turn off the preview pane in Outlook. So if someone were to have malicious HTML code, I get a chance to delete it before it runs.

HTH

I have uninstalled the anti virus software on my laptop and home office pc. (One of the first things I do. Along with taking out everything else just about.) I have never had any problems.

Knock on would. I am very particular about what I open as far as emails go and also check installed software. I have thought about reinstalling norton, but I have noticed that pc's with anti virus loaded are bombarded on a weekly basis with one thing or another it seems.

As a precaution to folly, I DO back up my files on a hardrive that is only attached to backup and then unattached. That is the only way noone can get to it.(Recently I took a backup of my backup and hooked to"protected" pc and scanned with norton and it showed up clean.)

Maybe do a poll? Who has been struck, how frequently? Antivirus installed?

I have dealt with alot of pcs over the years and there seems to be a pattern there.

Jimmy