Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ERP Software

GoetzInd

Hi Guys,

We are currently looking to replace our homegrown job quoting and scheduling software that we wrote back in the early 80's using business basic. So far we have looked at Jobboss and E2. I was a little more impressed with the E2 demo and was pretty convinced that this was the system for us but after doing a little digging I'm finding some complaints on the reliability of the software. I have now put a call in to Global Shop to see what they have to offer. My question is, what ERP software do you use and how do you like it? Problems, complaints? TIA

Mike

If you have a person who is going to be using the software on a full time basis, and is willing to put in the time and effort to get everything just how they want it, JobBOSS is pretty darn good. I have a couple customers/friends with much larger shops than mine who have roughly $20-$30k into JobBOSS, with a handful of data entry terminals and bar code scanners. It's pretty cool.

It was enough to convince me to buy a stripped down version. We only use about 10% of it's capabilities though.

Joe,

Are you running Job Boss starter, or full blown? I'm thinking the starter might work for us as we already have pretty good job costing. Also, for you job boss users, is it pretty reliable as far as the software functioning as it should? Any E2 users out there?

Mike

We use Visual Enterprise from Infor. Startup and Maintenance costs are pretty steep. We ended up dropping maintenance and living without updates. I do like the software however.

We currently don't have an ERP system but this one looked pretty nice, had the rep come out and show us all the ins and outs, I was impressed. It seemed like the most intuitive and customizable that of the system we looked at.

The price per seat was very reasonable, but there was a catch, 5 seat minimum, then they wanted 20-30k to install the software, which included only a couple days of training for 2 people... LOL

JobBoss here.

We have a pretty robust version of it. I'm only a novice user but we have a few people here that use it very well.

Two things to take in to account with ERP systems.

1) Like any other software out there, the system is only as good as the information that you give it.

2) Make sure your network is reliable and rock solid otherwise everything comes to a grinding halt when your network fails.

I've used both, (Jobboss and E2) at different companies, and under different hardware.

Despite the JobBoss period being the most productive time in my life, I have NO memories, good or bad, about this product.

I'm using E2 now, and I have both. I'd love to automate this product, but I find the documentation lacking.

From a user perspective, I feel it functional and capable.

• 1 month later...

Joe,

Are you running Job Boss starter, or full blown? I'm thinking the starter might work for us as we already have pretty good job costing. Also, for you job boss users, is it pretty reliable as far as the software functioning as it should? Any E2 users out there?

Mike

I'm using E2 and I really like it. I'm still getting up to speed on it, but thier customer support is great. As far as reliability, I haven't yet had an issue. We used E2 at the last shop i worked at and were always having problems with it, but, our IT guy was a complete idiot, so I would put the blame on him and not the software.

Joe,

Mike

Completely missed this the first time around.

Back when we first bought it, there was no such thing as the starter version. Ours is just the base model with none of the attachments. No Shopview, bar code scanners, etc.

Based on what we do with it - we're probably using 10% of the capabilities of even the starter version. I never had any training or anything. Just watched a few of the web instructionals to get through the bare minimum of what we needed.

At the time we had a bunch of blanket orders of parts that had a bunch of outside operations before returning to us for assembly and delivery to the customer. It was a mind melter trying to keep track of what went where and when. JobBoss did an awesome job of fixing that.

Just get JobBoss and commit yourself (or whoever) to making the best of it - and I promise you'll be happy with it. Make sure the quote includes lots of training and support, including installation at your facility.

We have had both here. We started with E2 and changed to Job Boss a few months ago. E2 is the same system that was build back in 2004 with only eye candy and bug fixes since. They have promised since 2005 the release of Version 8 and it never happens. Its always in development or its coming out soon. We got tired of the run around and made the switch to Job Boss. We are still in the learning stages but like it much better than E2. E2 talks a good game but never honors what they tell you. Ask them when Version 8 is coming out.

They use E2 here and we spend more time working around the system than using it. It is not ERP or MPR - it's strictly a job shop floor control. I looked at JobBOSS several years back and liked it. We use PTC Windchill as our CAD PDM system. On of my tasks this Fall is to see about implementing the 'parts' Product Structure module. That way we can build the mBOM correlating to the as designed eBOM (from the CAD models).

• 2 years later...

We use Visual Enterprise from Infor. Startup and Maintenance costs are pretty steep. We ended up dropping maintenance and living without updates. I do like the software however.

We have been using Visual since 98' and its very powerful and easy to use on the manufacturing side.  I don't have experience on the accounting side but they say it works well.

• 1 month later...