Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small tool touchoff?

BenK

If your setting something that small. . a good method is a dowel pin of a known size on top of a 2 inch block..

Check to see if it stops rather than rolling under .. if it does move up .0001 and try again.. since its rolling its putting out almost no force on the small endmill..

• Like 1

If this is something you do on a regular basis I would look into getting a presetter. We didn't realize we needed one until we got one.

Mike

Yes I touch off a lot of tools every day. The goal is more spindle time. My company is moving more and more into micro-machining also. I do the gage pin method right now, works great but we are looking for a more automated way of measurement. Management wan't a measuring method that doesn't allow for operator error. Who am I to argue against them buying me a new toy. :thumbsup:

Just installed a Zoller here. Sweet piece of equipment! I use stuff down to .005" and it's no issue at all. It's also extremely quick and can be done while a current job is running. Just push your tool down (CAT 40 here) slightly in the presetter spindle the same every time and your with a tenth or two.

322-elect%20locating%20gage_Page_1_Image_0005.jpg

I have used these at a few different places. If you do not have a probing system these are the next best thing. Will pay for itself in a short time for those of you still using blocks, pins and shim stock. Will cut down on touch off times. A few different styles and price ranges. Just google tool height setters. Do small tools all the time.

322-elect%20locating%20gage_Page_1_Image_0005.jpg

I have used these at a few different places. If you do not have a probing system these are the next best thing. Will pay for itself in a short time for those of you still using blocks, pins and shim stock. Will cut down on touch off times. A few different styles and price ranges. Just google tool height setters. Do small tools all the time.

+1000

I use this thing almost every day. It is accurate to a couple of tenths. Just make sure the batteries are good.

We use base masters and touch probes (Big brand) on all our machines that don't have on-board measuring. I set the touch probe as zero and measure all tools relative to it, then you don't have to remeasure for each job, and drills taps etc. that live in machine are always good to go. More accurate than the machine (0.001mm)

Got sick of touching (and chipping) real quick

Use down to 0.3mm ballend

I have a laser in my machine and wish I had a presetter. Either way I would not go without some sort of tool setter in the machine because they are very useful for break detection.

+1 That is all we use our Renishaw lasers and TRS27's for. Too many errors or mis readings to use for setting tools. The presetter is a lot more accurate and allows you to check for things like runout and tool wear very easily. The nice ones can also interface with tool management.

Mike