Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X8 Public Beta 1

Same old crappy, broken Lathe.

I hate to bash on a forum, but come on. I love Mill, but Lathe makes me want to quit my job and work at McDonalds.

Lathe to me is freakin simple. Milling kills me though. Been a lathe guy for 20+ years, now programming mills for a couple years. Getting better but still not my cup of tea.

Lathe to me is freakin simple. Milling kills me though. Been a lathe guy for 20+ years, now programming mills for a couple years. Getting better but still not my cup of tea.

I guess that's my problem. Was always using Mill, now using Lathe is like taking a step back in time 20 years. It needs a major, major overhaul to bring it up to speed. Our reseller actually told me that it was overhauled for X8, but, I guess he was wrong. And for that, I want to step on his big toe. FIRMLY.

I guess that's my problem. Was always using Mill, now using Lathe is like taking a step back in time 20 years. It needs a major, major overhaul to bring it up to speed. Our reseller actually told me that it was overhauled for X8, but, I guess he was wrong. And for that, I want to step on his big toe. FIRMLY.

You believed something your reseller told you? Perhaps you should step on your own big toe for that one! :shock:

Something other than Mazak and Okuma's being supported in MT...

Sure MT is it's own deal. (James you prolly want Omnitturns and Ganesh's bulit, right?) :D :D :D

But as far as regular lathe, people rip on it all the time, but frankly I'm not sure why. Sure it's old, but has been updated and what does it need to do that it doesn't now? (pinch turn, etc is a MT product alone)

• Like 1

an Okuma VTM-1200 YB would be nice, but I think it's pretty far down the list

I wish they would just open it up so we could do our own. That would solve quite a bit of discontentment. Or Just create generic FANUC 1 turret with 2 Spindles, FANUC 2 turret with 2 spindles, FANUC 2 Turret with 2 spindles, FANUC B-Axis Upper with B0 Perpedicular to Z, a Lower Turret and a Sub-Spindle. Then give us the keys and let us do the rest. $#!+ would get done then. Granted, I don't have a ton of time to do all the sheetmetal but I'd certainly get something useful going PDQ.

After transition from X7 to X8 lost my .kmp and . mtb files. Is there is the way to convert them ?

I believe someone in the new Mastercam Beta forum (Mastercam not eMastercam) mentioned being able to do that and being happy about it.

I know I am in a different boat as I work in education now and not in production. I can say that I have used Mastercam since they released it on 5 1/4" floppy disks. It has only been 2 days and the students and I have not used all the new functions yet but this update not only went very smooth but the interface is much cleaner and the functions easier to manage and navigate. When I saw that 8 was released my initial thought was "Oh boy here we go again" So far I am all right with it. Currently we are teaching NX and Cimatron as well as Mastercam. When the students saw X8 yesterday there were many comments like."That looks like what (NX or Cimatron) has been doing for a while now.

So far...so good!

I just went to the beta site and logged in (ok).

None of our pc's here at work are on the net - I put the USB mcam dongle into this pc, let it instal ok and then ran the link and got the attached.

Jim - I'll PM you.

:cheers:

Are you an official beta tester?