Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feature Request

Hello everyone,

Actually I have two feature requests...

First, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... give us an option to control the auto-calculate fields based on tool diameter!

How about:

1 - Value based on % of tool diameter (current and only option)…value changes when tool diameter changes.

2 - Value is fixed – doesn’t change (YES!) :thumbsup:

We do a considerable amount of microwave component work using end mills from .005 to .020 in diameter. Most of the features have little to no room for movement due to the size of the tool required and so very careful planning for leads is required. Once set, changing a tool by .001 on the diameter can render the op useless until all the values are adjusted.

Second, make the PRMDEF Add-On an actual System Configuration Setting. :thumbsup:

I've been using this since I first found out about it and it's a great! Except for the fact that it must be installed separately, set as the Startup Add-In and you’re prompted every time Mastercam starts.

Thanks for your consideration!

John

More Feature updates:

When selection your stock, and you pick "Solid", please have Mastercam automatically disregard the masking you have set so you don't have to keep resetting the mask.

Please have the Verifier remember your stock, so you don't have to keep repicking it.

Please give us the option to NOT include tapping operations for the "lock feedrates" feature, so we can avoid obvious problems.

Please give us the option for changing the Feed/speeds on contour and facing operation finish passes just like you do with pocketing so we don't need to create separate ops for finishing, or having to use "toolpath editor".

Please allow us to change the length of a tool or comment for locked toolpaths (from toolpath editor) without having to unlock them so we don't have to go back and redo everything once we unlock them.

Please allow us to do lead in/out from negative angles or angles greater than 90 degrees. (I may not know how to word this properly)

Please troubleshoot the lead in/out problems we encounter when we select negative values for "stock to leave on walls" in the cut parameters.

Please fix all of the problems with the coolant. Does coolant REALLY need bugs? When I define a tool with coolant, and I have mastercam setup to use that tool's coolant, I would think the operation would turn on the coolant. When creating a large database of tools with coolant, I would like mastercam no to turn off the coolant.

Please highlight the coolant if it is turned on in the operations parameter list so we don't have to keep clicking on "coolant" to see if it is turned on. You already do it for a few operations, why not the rest?

Please allow us to have more than 750 characters with the "Manual Entry" process.

Please bring back the V9 style "solid drilling" op.

Please allow us to created GD&T symbols without having to deal with Verisurf.

Please associate drafting entities with the WCS in which they were created so they don't fly all over the place.

Please allow us to change the color of the mouse cursor.

Please throw an annual, government-style party with free beer and hookers for all of your mastercam users. Yeah, we all know you can afford it :)

Please tell your customers that if they do not like Mastercam that they should be forced to use Surfcam for 6 months so they can see just how nice mastercam is.

• Like 2
Please allow us to do lead in/out from negative angles or angles greater than 90 degrees. (I may not know how to word this properly)

please allow negative number in draft angle field for contour tool path; sure would make dovetail step downs easier.

perhaps only allow when dovetail or lolipop tool is selected to avoid errors and confusion for newer users. or just make a graphic to make it obvious which way it is going.

Hello everyone,

Actually I have two feature requests...

First, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... give us an option to control the auto-calculate fields based on tool diameter!

How about:

1 - Value based on % of tool diameter (current and only option)…value changes when tool diameter changes.

2 - Value is fixed – doesn’t change (YES!) :thumbsup:

We do a considerable amount of microwave component work using end mills from .005 to .020 in diameter. Most of the features have little to no room for movement due to the size of the tool required and so very careful planning for leads is required. Once set, changing a tool by .001 on the diameter can render the op useless until all the values are adjusted.

Second, make the PRMDEF Add-On an actual System Configuration Setting. :thumbsup:

I've been using this since I first found out about it and it's a great! Except for the fact that it must be installed separately, set as the Startup Add-In and you’re prompted every time Mastercam starts.

Thanks for your consideration!

John

John what is this PRMDEF you speak of and where can I find it >?? thanks in advance.

Hey Rick,

You can DL PRMDEF from Mastercam.com. It allows you to choose between having new ops default to "last used" values or use the values you have set in your DEFAULTS file. I have mine set to ALWAYS use my defaults file. It's a great add-on and I don't know why it's not already a basic configuration setting.

John

• Like 1

PRMDEF

… set as the Startup Add-In and you’re prompted every time Mastercam starts.

According to the PrmDef.PDF (included with the utility) the above should not be necessary.

(This PDF should be in the CHooks and/or HELP folder just below the main Mastercam folder)

I see this in the item #2 section in the PDF->

“You can also have PrmDef set the desired mode automatically when Mastercam starts up.”

And reading on, it tells you how to do that.

I'd like to see a "tool tip" in the operations manager list. When you have hundreds of operations, it's not possible to keep them all "expanded," but when you minimize the op you lose track of what tool it is, etc... I'd like to just hover over the op and have a tool tip box pop up and tell you the tool name, offset, and whether the coolant is on. Having to click each box to expand it, then minimize it just to find the tool / op I'm looking for can get tedious.

• Like 2

I'd like to see a "tool tip" in the operations manager list. When you have hundreds of operations, it's not possible to keep them all "expanded," but when you minimize the op you lose track of what tool it is, etc... I'd like to just hover over the op and have a tool tip box pop up and tell you the tool name, offset, and whether the coolant is on. Having to click each box to expand it, then minimize it just to find the tool / op I'm looking for can get tedious.

use the "Select' option and choose the tool number from the dropdown

Here's my 2 cents. If I have over looked something and there is a way to already do what I am asking for...even if it is a work around, I am open to learning something new.

MC Changes That I would like to See fixed, changed or enhanced

1. Level Manager:

1. Have the ability to set rows with a color. This would help to distinguish different sections or groups and make it easier to read.
    2. I would like to set up groups/ assemblies/sub-assemblies. This would behave like a typical tree structure except in a column format giving the user a way to control their levels better.
    3. List Levels: I would like to set multiple options. For example: Named Levels within the levels range of 300 to 400. Or Used Levels from Levels 10 to 50. (Ctrl + Click)
    4. Numbering Levels: I would like to see some right click options to renumber Levels.
      1. Renumber multiple levels
      2. Renumber Range of levels
      3. Have the ability to renumber to a set criterion: All selected levels based on the increment of 1, 10, 50, 100 etc.

[*]A column to show:

1. Only the entities used in the toolpath
      2. Level set is good but needs more functionality: I would like to see a drop down that allows the user to select from the levels named. Like in excel when you create a list for a single cell and you get the drop down and select or deselect the box to have the item show or hide.

[*]I would like a way to lock a level. This could be for things like revision changes or construction geometry. Blanking is kind of a work around on this one.

[*]Planes

1. Dynamic Planes:

[*]View Manager

1. Dockable, Dockable and Dockable!!!!!!!
        2. I would like the option to select a view and reselect geometry for that view/plane.
        3. When assigning a work offset for the view, I would like to use that work offset for all of the views. If you use a lot of views with the same work offset this can be time consuming. Once you change the value a dialog pops up and lets you know that X number of operations use this view, update all views? Click. X number of views have their work offset updated. X operation(s) require regeneration. Click. And Click to exit. Repeat for every view that you want to change. Wears me out just thinking about it.

[*]Solids

1. Associative: I would like the operation or toolpath to retain the solid or solid face when moving or transforming the solid part(s). Typically have to go in and re-select the solid or solid face. This requires creating surfaces from the solid just so that the drive surfaces will stay associated to the operation.

[*]Toolpath Manager

1. System Configuration: NC File /Append Values: I would like to have the option to have the operation number append at the beginning or at the end. We have a machine that doesn’t have a tool changer, so most of the time our toolpaths are presented with one tool for one toolpath. I would like to have the programs show in the order that they are created but….with a descriptive extension. For example: 1_Probe, 2_RUF , 3_Fin. This way the operator has a general idea right off the bat that there are so many roughing programs and so many finishing programs etc.
        2. I would also like a right click option to select multiple toolpaths and renumber/rename

[*]Work Offset Number: I would like this to be an option under the Display Options for the Toolpath Manager and to show on the collapsed operation line with the other information. For Example: [WCS:TOP] – [Tplane:TOP] [WO: G54] “Comment”

[*]When importing toolpaths: It would be nice if the toolpaths had the option to retain the NC file name if desired. For example: Certain parts are repeats or similar and share the same order, process and toolpaths so we just re-associate the necessary geometry to the imported toolpath. But….we now have to rename every toolpath in addition to the geometry association. (This can and usually takes longer than the geometry selection or required changes.)

[*]Chaining Manager

1. I would like to see an option that would allow the user to ‘add’ to the existing selection so that the user doesn’t have to reselect the chain from the beginning and can pick up where ever the user left off. IE; If using the curve 5 axis toolpath and cutting scribe lines and you didn’t go far enough or you selected a partial chain but didn’t go far enough.

[*]MC Simulator

1. I would like to select the stock that MC Simulator uses to run the toolpaths against. Stock under the Verify tab should allow the user to select the stock model, solid or part file.

[*]Tool Selection Manager

1. Search Function

[*]Offset Contour:

1. When offsetting a chain I would like the chain to consist of as many entities as the original. If the original is a single entity the solution should also be a single entity and not consist of 200 smaller entities.

[*]Create Letters

1. I would like to have a point at the center of the letters that can be used for positioning the letters. Similar to the options that you have for positioning a rectangle. OR: have different options for positioning.
          2. I would like it if letters allowed you to create a serialization when creating letters. Have a box for the Lettering or numbering that will remain constant and a box for the start number and end number. Plus a box to place the serialization at the beginning or ending of the constant.

[*]Surface High Speed (Scallop)

1. I would like to see the option “Order Cuts By Minimum Distance” as a choice for Cutting Method. When I use spiral the cut starts at the top or bottom and moves in to or out from the middle. This option would allow the toolpath to start at the beginning and continue to the end without the stop in the middle. (This would perform like the ‘old school’ constant scallop toolpath.)

[*]Surface High Speed (Area Clearance)

1. I would like to see an option for zone machining. Currently I think this is by level. I would like to see the toolpath cleanup an area or zone all the way down and then move to the next section instead of trying to clean up every level first.

[*]I would like a more clearly defined auto cursor. It disappears in certain functions or processes and some of the icons are too indistinct being that small.

[*]I would like a ‘repeat last function’ option. I would like to key map or button map this function.

[*]Multiaxis Drill/Tool axis control: If I want to change surfaces associated to this operation I have to make sure that the surfaces that were selected have their level ‘on’ in order to deselect them. Otherwise…you can only add more surfaces. In other dialog windows (within MC,) the user has options to automatically deselect whatever entities are previously selected. Can this be added to this functionality be added? See dialog window below.

1. When the multi-threading manager is running, I would like to see a bar that shows the over-all process status. Under the ‘status’ column it shows the individual process status but not the entire work load status.

2. Number plus extension
      3. Same number plus extension
      4. Right click option for ‘Toolpath’ (when the operation is expanded.) to rename. Or left/right long click and rename. (Same as windows.)This would avoid the whole right click menu when you select the ‘operation’. (Currently left click opens the toolpath in backplot or if you right click it will open in verify.)

2. There would be a button that the user could select to have geometry created that would represent the plane that the dynamic plane was creating. (Same as the Gnomon. Using the same color scheme (default) with the plane label would be a plus as well. This geometry is now associative to that plane and the view would update no matter where the geometry was translated to.
  3. This should also be applied to the Planes = GView and Planes by Normal
  4. Planes should also update when mirroring.

MORE:

I would like for the .SET file I use to be the one used without so much troubleshooting. All we need is ONE file location. Having it in the configuration files in 2 places and the control definition makes it a hassle to troubleshoot. Just leave it in the control definition and be done with it.

I would like the simulator to give you the option to stop after then end of the toolpath group and also the option to stop after the end of the machine group.

I would like the View Manager to be able to sort the view by every tab listed at the top of the grid. Especially Woff #

I would LOVE it if when we select a different "shared folder" in the Mastercam configuration that Mastercam gave us the option of NOT copying files to it. I am really tired of having to clean out all of the unneeded files due to this. Ie...posts, setup sheets, etc.

I would like the option of extending lead-ins for Core mill paths, particularly for using angled face mills. The major dia is not taken into consideration for some reason.

I would like the option to export Toolpath groups and Machine groups with operations.

I would like for imported operations to automatically change duplicate tool numbers.

I would like for Mastercam to force customer's IT people to read a list of what types of hardware do not work well with mastercam...IE...ATI/AMD video cards.

I would like for Mastercam to create a help document that defines all of the items in the Vericut interface.

I would like the WCS system for lathes to work as well as it does in mills.

I would like for Mastercam to properly update all documentation with every version update...IE...NCI parameter lists.

I would like for mastercam to allow the Manual and stock model operations to be incrementally counted in the NCI outputs just like all other operations; so, when we are using that count it does not throw off the operation numbering.

In other words. When I make my post output the operation number to a comment in the program, the number is not thrown off by manual comments or stock ops.

I would LOVE it if an error is made, that mastercam shows me only 1 popup message. "Yeah! I F'in get it already!!!!!!"

I would like it if Mastercam covered all of the costs associated for therapy after having to deal with all of the bugs in versions X, X1 and X6.

how about the option to change from metric to standard without having to go into the system configuration file settings. We have newbees where I work that are only shown how to do this one function when needed in the system configuration file but yet they seem to get nosey and look and click on other pages then get things out of wack and save it .. I always back up my config file so I can just go back and overwrite it to get things back to normal but its just a thought..

• 4 weeks later...

I would love it if CNC would devote at least one major version to just fixing all the known bugs and skip adding anything new. Fix all the little things we've been complaining about for years...bottom line it would be a better product and more appealing to new customers.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2