Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ULTIMATE MACHINE SHOP TOOL CART IDEAS

WOODS7

Okay, so here is the idea. I want to build the ultimate tool cart for my operators to have by their machines to cut down on running around getting things they need out of the cabinets and speed up our production. I have just started the brain storming process and would like to hear your ideas on what all to include on this build. I have attached some pics of ideas I would like to incorporate into the cart but I am open to suggestions.  So far I am leaning towards having it mobile with a work station on top, Cat 40 holders, a set of drills, set of parallels, hammer holders, and some other tool storage. I am interested in hearing anything that has come in handy that you would see as beneficial at a workstations minus say a built in keg-a-rator :beer: . 

AND GO!!!!

post-70001-0-87301800-1467901168_thumb.jpg

post-70001-0-38978600-1467901182_thumb.jpg

We have dozens of the carts with holes in the tables. These are great unless you have a safety guy who makes you put plastic end mill tubes over the cutters to avoid cuts because of the exposed sharp edges. You constantly have to remove the tubes to see what's under there.

Because mobility wasn't a concern, the solution in my dep't was using the surplus heavy duty 5 drawer filing cabinets we had in our warehouse. I built plywood inserts with holes for the top three drawers to hold my tool holders and use the bottom drawers for occasionally accessed items. I also anchored the top of the cabinets to the machine enclosure so they wouldn't tip over.

You have probably determined by now I'm also a cheapskate.

Also as RaiderX stated, all constantly used hand tools, clamps, etc. are hanging on the enclosure.

• Like 1

When I was making chips, one of the shops I worked in gave us carts to use.

I had my small Kennedy 7 drawer on the cart with extra standard & metric allen wrench sets, standard & metric box/open wrench sets, kept extra 0-1 mic and calipers, parallel set, matched set of 6 1/2/3 blocks,..

oh yes and a small first aid kit (not quite a full blowout kit but enough to shut down a fairly significant cut)

• Like 1

I have found it incredibly hard not to look for tools and wander around all the time even in our "tiny" shop. For best results, everyone should have their own tools inside their own lockbox and engrave each one's tools with initials. This way you can only be angry at yourself if your tools are missing. And if somebody else touches your tools... :)

• Like 1

We have mobile Lista cabinets at each machine with a surface plate on top and the computer workstation attached to access working files. Each tool box has all the necessary hand tools in drawers that are shadow boxed as well as some basic measuring tools and full set of gage pins at each machine. The cutting tools are pre-kitted in the tool crib so there really isn't a need to store tool holders at the machine so the carts with holes in them for the tool holders are only used to transport the tools back & forth to the tool crib. The only thing missing maybe is a set of jo-blocks and the keg-a-rator :)

We have a couple of mills that are dedicated for a family of parts where the cutting tools are managed by the operators at the machine, not the tool crib. They have an area behind the machine to store and work on their tools and they load the tools in the magazine right there so no tool cart there to transport the tools.

Cheers!

Len Dye

post-15010-0-21112100-1468004424_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

We have mobile Lista cabinets at each machine with a surface plate on top and the computer workstation attached to access working files. Each tool box has all the necessary hand tools in drawers that are shadow boxed as well as some basic measuring tools and full set of gage pins at each machine.

In our shop I would worry about damaging the surface plate with the angle grinder and ball-peen hammer.  Actually I really like this setup but how do you get operators to take care of the surface plate?  I would worry about wrenches, micrometers, and other hard items being placed on them constantly.  We have a rule here where only items used every cycle are allowed on the table top and it includes hard items like wrenches, etc...  Each of our machines has a Lista cabinet in front of it as well but no computer or surface plate.  Cool setup and thanks for sharing.

Hi Bob,

Just get or make a cover for the Surface Plate. Or make a moblie "inspection only" cart that has only measuring tools in the drawers. I've had success with doing this in other shops. The inspection cart can be placed by the machine when proving out a new part, or when making parts that require in-process inspection.

Hi Bob,

Just get or make a cover for the Surface Plate. Or make a moblie "inspection only" cart that has only measuring tools in the drawers. I've had success with doing this in other shops. The inspection cart can be placed by the machine when proving out a new part, or when making parts that require in-process inspection.

I made covers for our surface plates , not one is used!

• Like 1

In our shop I would worry about damaging the surface plate with the angle grinder and ball-peen hammer.  Actually I really like this setup but how do you get operators to take care of the surface plate?  I would worry about wrenches, micrometers, and other hard items being placed on them constantly.  We have a rule here where only items used every cycle are allowed on the table top and it includes hard items like wrenches, etc...  Each of our machines has a Lista cabinet in front of it as well but no computer or surface plate.  Cool setup and thanks for sharing.

We don't have any Haas machines so no need for the ball peen hammers here :) The surface plates are up on 3-point risers so there's a gap between the cabinet top and the surface plate and the cabinet has about 6" more depth than the surface plate so there's a decent size ledge there to put the wrench and dead-blow hammer while working. Typically the only tools on top of the surface plate are the measuring tools and they are on top of shop towels.

BTW, also no personal tool boxes here either!

Cheers!

Len Dye

We have mobile Lista cabinets at each machine with a surface plate on top and the computer workstation attached to access working files. Each tool box has all the necessary hand tools in drawers that are shadow boxed as well as some basic measuring tools and full set of gage pins at each machine. The cutting tools are pre-kitted in the tool crib so there really isn't a need to store tool holders at the machine so the carts with holes in them for the tool holders are only used to transport the tools back & forth to the tool crib. The only thing missing maybe is a set of jo-blocks and the keg-a-rator :)

We have a couple of mills that are dedicated for a family of parts where the cutting tools are managed by the operators at the machine, not the tool crib. They have an area behind the machine to store and work on their tools and they load the tools in the magazine right there so no tool cart there to transport the tools.

Cheers!

Len Dye

that sounds like the pinnacle of lean. nice job

• 4 weeks later...