Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Customer Feedback Program

Müřlıń®

Customer Feedback Program  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Participate?

There used to be a lot more participants

Back X6, maybe X7 days, the server that collected the info got full and caused all sorts of trouble.

One morning, users who had Customer Feedback Program turned on, crashed on launch.

It took several hours to figure out the cause and the simple solution, turn off Customer Feedback

Many never turned it back on.

The problem with the customer feedback is the data doesn't have any context. Places like a school can have a large number of workstations participating skewing the results. Basing improvements/changes off that alone is flawed logic. I normally participate in it, not sure if its active at the moment because of the issue Gcode listed. It has come up a few times, not just back in the X6/X7 days. I would like to see a serious overhaul in the way they value enhancements but I know that's not what the marketing department wants so it will never happen. This 80% complete and move on mentality just isn't working for me anymore.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, do they respond?

I´ve seem many software out there to have a customer feedback tool but rarely the vendors respond.

How´s that with Mc?

the feed back program just collects data on what functions and commands are being used

no user info is collected, so they could not respond if they wanted too

that data is used to decide what needs attention, what can be dropped etc etc

I was once told that  "Clear Color's" was used most of all

That was before the X9 graphics overhaul, so that may no longer be the case

the feed back program just collects data on what functions and commands are being used

I see... I thought they had a feedback form like HSMWorks for example...

It´s just metadata collection then... In this case you´re right... they can´t identify the user... only the license ID I suppose...

Tks G

I'll bet the decision to drop Quick Mask Levels was the result of the Customer Feedback Program

Now that it's dropped users are wondering what happened... and complaining

so they're restoring it.

My conclusion .. the levels of participation in Customer Feedback are too low to use it to make

accurate decisions on dropping unused commands

http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic14857.aspx

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, do they respond?

I´ve seem many software out there to have a customer feedback tool but rarely the vendors respond.

How´s that with Mc?

I am referring to speaking directly with my reseller, tech support etc. I hate emails and written responses, it is sometimes hard to detect a tone.

Actually CGTech did call me couple of times!!

Maybe it would be useful to have regional user group functions, similar to CGTech's Vue set up?

The main goal is to make the software better.

Cheers!

John

So if you have a few technical colleges with 25 seats who are in the feedback program, and all they learn is how to mill a square and drill some holes,  this would skew the results then as they maybe using only 1 or 2% of mcam's capability.

Surely, decisions can't be made this way?

Personally, I don't believe any software company is capable of conducting their own user study.  Although they may enter into it with the best of intentions, they'll still find a way to see in the data exactly what they want to in order to justify their decisions.  

This is not a criticism nor am I placing blame, it's just what I believe.  In my opinion, only a disinterested 3rd party could conduct such a study and the participants should be actual full time users, not schools or casual users.

That said, I would love to participate in a real users study however the time required to fully test and document the issues/experience would require far more time than I think any of our employers would allow.

But hey, that's just my opinion...

John

There used to be a lot more participants

Back X6, maybe X7 days, the server that collected the info got full and caused all sorts of trouble.

One morning, users who had Customer Feedback Program turned on, crashed on launch.

It took several hours to figure out the cause and the simple solution, turn off Customer Feedback

Many never turned it back on.

I turn it off for this reason. There were a few days this happened though not just 1.

I do on the computer that is on the internet, but I have a customer system that is not allowed on the internet due to ITAR that I have a done a bulk of my work for the last 12 months on. Far I know they also don't allow their systems which is about 20 seats to either. I would think most big companies IT departments would not allow such behavior, though I could be wrong. 

I would think most big companies IT departments would not allow such behavior, though I could be wrong.

I'd say that except for the companies with ITAR and that are paranoid about data leakage and industrial spying, most don't have a clue about these sort of outbound connections and systems call home in a breeze...

Personally, I don't believe any software company is capable of conducting their own user study.  Although they may enter into it with the best of intentions, they'll still find a way to see in the data exactly what they want to in order to justify their decisions.  

This is not a criticism nor am I placing blame, it's just what I believe.  In my opinion, only a disinterested 3rd party could conduct such a study and the participants should be actual full time users, not schools or casual users.

That said, I would love to participate in a real users study however the time required to fully test and document the issues/experience would require far more time than I think any of our employers would allow.

But hey, that's just my opinion...

John

Likewise, after a few months, MC users will have developed ways to rid themselves of the pathetic ribbon interface through enormous right-click menus, quick keys, quick access toolbars, etc...whatever it takes to get around it and there will be no more complaints. Meanwhile, the folks at CNC Software will be kicking back, congratulating one another on a fine job with the new interface that no one is using, saying "See, they were all just resistant to change. Now that they're using it, they love it and would hate to go back to X9. They have to be...since no one's complaining anymore! Now, everyone back to work. Let's get back to the re-design of MC 2030 where everyone will have to program from their watch!"

• Like 3