Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Model Prep, 2017 help

Thee Rickster ™

Well i guess, i will not pursue custom designing components in MC.

Don't give up too soon. Just keep the original model so that if something goes wrong, you can merge it back in and start over.

Sometimes, I keep the original Model on one level, copy it to another and make my changes to the duplicate.

It does take some trial and error, but all the new model prep stuff is powerful and worth the learning curve.

• Like 2

That's how I always do it.

Add me to that list. I have a part with 8 different solids in it. All done with Model prep at different stages of the manufacturing process. I had to add tabs on legs and then material for a Right Angle head and other things. Old school method probably 20 hours of work. Model prep about 3 hours of work.

Just push or pull it back to where you want is the easiest solution if using Model Prep commands.

On one action thats great

but i Design on the fly custom R&D stuff , lots of it and sometimes i need to

undo 12 things quickly whislt my design changes and evolves.

In space claim you undo as far back as you like and quickly modify your design from that

point to where you need it.

I always save my file before doing model prep...then if I screw up I just reload.

Model prep is DA Bomb!!!!!

so you are not designing from scratch in model Prep?

I dont use model prep, my issue is trying to use it as efficiently as SpaceClaim.

so i can switch to using it exclusively.

Opening and closing MC, hoping that it is at a point where i can redo

something is very inefficient.

thanks for the tips

Ill keep trying to find a good use for it

maybe i am expecting it to do more that it was designed for

i have not tried any thing from scratch , just modifying/editing a imported model

I have SpaceClaim and find Mastercam does some things it cannot. Vice Versa where I will use SpaceClaim. Each tool has it's place, but Model Prep and such are not un doable currently. Will that change I have no idea. I like the undo abilities of SpaceClaim in that regard.

so you are not designing from scratch in model Prep?

Oh hell no...

I use Mastercam for 100% solid design.  It is my only CAD system now and it is more than up to the task for just about any project I do.

And I do some pretty complex molds and tools sometimes...  I have seen some of the molds you do and I can do all that with Mastercam.

Using Mastercam for design requires you to have a couple copies of your model with the tree and then machine a dumb solid.

Sometimes there are problems creating toolpaths off models that have the solid tree associated....I dump all that when toolpathing is involved.

i just use model prep after I am done with design and have a dumb solid....or editing dumb solids I get from customers.

But there are instances I use Mastercam solids for editing a dumb solid as well and not model prep...just depends on circumstances.

Otherwise I make editions to my model using the model tree like all other CAD systems.

• Like 1

Prime example today. Customer sends a hot part need it ASAP. Model has one area with .175 Wall thickness, but the print says .175 min thickness. To get a new model from customer will take 1 week, but still need to meet original delivery. I removed all the fillets in the offending area. I pulled the surface .005 in 2 places and now have a .180 wall thickness where I have a .040 profile tolerance. I added back my fillets and had a new model back to them for approval in 20 minutes.

• Like 3

Prime example today. Customer sends a hot part need it ASAP. Model has one area with .175 Wall thickness, but the print says .175 min thickness. To get a new model from customer will take 1 week, but still need to meet original delivery. I removed all the fillets in the offending area. I pulled the surface .005 in 2 places and now have a .180 wall thickness where I have a .040 profile tolerance. I added back my fillets and had a new model back to them for approval in 20 minutes.

i do the same in SP, except the move tool allows you not to have to remove the rads first. 9 times out of 10.

It is nice that MC has started improving the solids functionality.

Glad i jumped from X7 to 2017 :)

Stock model had some issues in X8 and X9?

seems fine in X7

X7 stock model was a brutal mess, I refrained from using it on many,  many things

X9 stock model was better but left some undesirable moments.....

2017 is better yet 

I have used stock model daily since X7 (stl files before that)... it is a necessity in my programming and I rarely have issues. It's a great tool.

How complicated are your parts? do you use a combination of machines mill/turn and mill?

How complicated are your parts? do you use a combination of machines mill/turn and mill?

No, not mill/turn... but 3D surfacing, 3+2 and full 5-axis work... small auto-industry, prototype and medical industry all the way through 80,000 lb. castings for the energy industry... some files as big as 600MB+... so yeah.

Maybe I misspoke. I'm certain there are higher-end programmers than myself, doing far tougher work... but I love stock model... sometimes I have as many as 10-12 stock model's in one file... and it has worked nearly flawless for me.

Edit: 600MB