Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Resellers, and hard copies

Roger

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That will be a nail in MANY coffins IMO.

That's why I said Option. I wasn't told directly (since I'm not welcome at any official engagements :)), but someone who attended a roll out, was told that by an employee.

But like I said, it apparently will be an option, not mandatory.

Option for the first 2 years and then permanent like Autodesk???

Read my siggy if you want to know where we stand as a company on it.

Heh, yeah, I know it is a sore point with you :)

I'm personally not a big fan of it either, but it seems that a lot of the industry are heading that way.

Heh, yeah, I know it is a sore point with you :)

I'm personally not a big fan of it either, but it seems that a lot of the industry are heading that way.

Just because other companies do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The way the whole industry is following eachother reminds me of the story of the Emperors' clothes...

• Like 4

I believe part of the reason they have moved to a 'request only' policy is because it is better for the environment. Many years ago, they would print up 100K+ DVD's, and boxes, to ship out. Many people said they don't use them, and it goes in the garbage, or on a shelf, and then eventually ends up in the trash years later. I think it is a smart and responsible move on their part. It saves resources and money by not printing copies of things nobody needs. They still do print up packages for each release, although I think they give you a USB Drive now, since many computers no longer have DVD Drives, and the amount of information in the install and accompanying documentation/samples has exceeded the storage capacity of a DVD.

They will still mail you out a package to anyone that makes a request. In fact, I'm in need of a new mouse pad. But, I should probably get a VERICUT one...

• Like 2

Cell phone carriers are ditching the "Free phone , Two year contract" it's all same phone bill + a lease for each phone on the bill.

The work around is to buy your phone elsewhere  and bring it in to have there Sim installed into it.

(My carrier only let's you carry  in a iPhone or a Samsung unit)

Again , "Lease"  you no longer own it again

Small fissy for you there Colin.

:D

I figured someone might draw that conclusion. One thing I can tell you about CNC is that they do not pinch pennies. Ever. They have a very successful product and business model, that has worked for the owners and employees for decades. If they felt there was enough interest from their customers, they would have no issues with sending every customer a package for every license the customer owned, every release.

I think the decision was also driven by the natural evolution of software delivery over broadband Internet becoming the industry standard. It's just easier for everyone involved. It used to take 1-4 weeks after the 'release date' for customers to receive their packages. Now it takes minutes once the software is available for download.

Trust me, this was not a cost cutting decision. Environmental Stewardship is a huge concern for the owners, and they are not afraid to spend money if they can see the value in what it provides. For example, does every user need a new mouse pad on a yearly basis? No. And the ones that does get replaced end up in a landfill somewhere. Now, I've worn out my fair share of mouse pads over the years, and it's nice to get a new one when needed. So when it's time, just call up your Reseller and you get a new one. I think it is a great policy change, done for much more conscious reasons than profit. Remember, CNC Software is a family owned business. They are not beholden to share holders, so every decision is made on a personal level by people that care about much more than money. Sure, remaining in the black is important, but that comes naturally by making a good product. I saw a lot of decisions that were made when I worked there that were based around the health and happiness of their employees, and taking care of this small planet we all call home.

• Like 6

I figured someone might draw that conclusion. One thing I can tell you about CNC is that they do not pinch pennies. Ever. They have a very successful product and business model, that has worked for the owners and employees for decades. If they felt there was enough interest from their customers, they would have no issues with sending every customer a package for every license the customer owned, every release.

I think the decision was also driven by the natural evolution of software delivery over broadband Internet becoming the industry standard. It's just easier for everyone involved. It used to take 1-4 weeks after the 'release date' for customers to receive their packages. Now it takes minutes once the software is available for download.

Trust me, this was not a cost cutting decision. Environmental Stewardship is a huge concern for the owners, and they are not afraid to spend money if they can see the value in what it provides. For example, does every user need a new mouse pad on a yearly basis? No. And the ones that does get replaced end up in a landfill somewhere. Now, I've worn out my fair share of mouse pads over the years, and it's nice to get a new one when needed. So when it's time, just call up your Reseller and you get a new one. I think it is a great policy change, done for much more conscious reasons than profit. Remember, CNC Software is a family owned business. They are not beholden to share holders, so every decision is made on a personal level by people that care about much more than money. Sure, remaining in the black is important, but that comes naturally by making a good product. I saw a lot of decisions that were made when I worked there that were based around the health and happiness of their employees, and taking care of this small planet we all call home.

Well said and the same feeling I got when I was on site at CNC HQ. I have also got the same feeling from the over 30 dealers I have been to over the years also.