Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

another "extra click" example that has become my nemisis

jlw™

gentlemen, can any one tell me how to permanently disable the check box in this picture?  it has become quite bothersome to me that I can not make it default to no filters.  i mean, come on, it's like perma-stuck on endmill and to be honest some times that helps me.  however, most of the time it irritates me.  especially on drill toolpaths.  I do use an endmill OCCASIONALLY on drill paths but I have to uncheck that sucker all the time.

thismotherfucker.png

• Like 3

Jeremy,

The filter really is your friend. Click on the "Filter" button, then "Double-click" the the tool type you are looking for. This saves me a ton of time. Why sort through 300+ tools, when you can just grab what you want quickly? Once someone told me about double-clicking the tool type, it saves me so much time vs. scrolling up and down in that main window...

If you really, absolutely, have to disable that checkbox, there might be a way. Let me check real quick...

I very seldom use the filters because there is simply not enough tools in the house for it to save time. I wish the "Filters..." subdialog didn't exist at all but instead I could quick select the filters in the library window.

Mastercam should open source their GUI and only the back-end (core, toolpaths etc.) would require a HASP. This way everybody could make their own GUI and be happy.

• Like 2

I very seldom use the filters because there is simply not enough tools in the house for it to save time. I wish the "Filters..." subdialog didn't exist at all but instead I could quick select the filters in the library window.

Mastercam should open source their GUI and only the back-end (core, toolpaths etc.) would require a HASP. This way everybody could make their own GUI and be happy.

Do you know they have a full C++ SDK Available? Want to write your own Tool Manager? Knock yourself out. The database they use is SQLite, which is open source.

Have you ever seen Verisurf or RobotMaster? Two incredibly complex programs that use Mastercam geometry and/or toolpath databases as the back end.

True open source would just invite more pirates. The SDK is pretty much wide-open for you though, and well documented. Heck, there is even a Development sub-forum here.

So you've got more than enough resources available to get started and customize Mastercam to your heart's content...

Do you know they have a full C++ SDK Available? Want to write your own Tool Manager? Knock yourself out. The database they use is SQLite, which is open source.

Have you ever seen Verisurf or RobotMaster? Two incredibly complex programs that use Mastercam geometry and/or toolpath databases as the back end.

True open source would just invite more pirates. The SDK is pretty much wide-open for you though, and well documented. Heck, there is even a Development sub-forum here.

So you've got more than enough resources available to get started and customize Mastercam to your heart's content...

Yes I am aware of Mastercam's extensibility, which is a very very good thing. But I understood that while it's possible to add new features and functionality via hooks, it is not possible to modify the existing components. While I'm still quite a novice with the program (7+ years compared to the 15-20 years of many of you, any polls ever made?) I think less message boxes and more "don't never ever show this message again" checkboxes would be quite welcome. Not going to mention ribbon bar now... :)

I hope to find a less draining job sometime in the future (totally away from the machine, it's not healthy in the long term) so that I had the energy to dig into Mastercam's programming interface. I already downloaded everything there is on Mastercam.com

Don't get me wrong, Mastercam rocks. I wouldn't touch the alternative software I previously used with with a 10 foot pole.

I've said it many times but I'll say it again...A Form Filler. ;)

Yes, it helped me get rid of the pesky "not all operations selected" message, thank you! It is a "hack" but it works.

How about adding a "send a click to a control on form" feature? In the original question, the asker wanted a certain checkbox to get unchecked automatically. You could type in {TAB}{TAB}...{TAB}{SPACE} but a straight click would be a bit "cleaner" ;)

It is a "hack" but it works.

I prefer to call it a productivity tool. ;)

How about adding a "send a click to a control on form" feature? In the original question, the asker wanted a certain checkbox to get unchecked automatically. You could type in {TAB}{TAB}...{TAB}{SPACE} but a straight click would be a bit "cleaner" ;)

Try contacting the developer. Rob was very open to suggestions when I emailed him about issues that I was having. We emailed back and forth for a week or so and he made some improvements at my request. Nice guy!

You want the filter box UNchecked by default? 

Oh man, that would be counter-productive for me,I'd go crazy! Unless you have custom tool libraries with only a couple of dozen tools, but with 1,000+ tools it would be madness searching for the one you want without a filter. 

• Like 2

Thad what exactly does it do? Can you make a screen recording?

John,

It will not record the screen, like recording a macro, if that's what you're looking for. It allows you to automatically check/uncheck checkboxes, radio buttons, click buttons, fill in fields, etc, all VERY QUICKLY whenever it detects the dialog box, or form window. So if you have something that you always click the same answer to... "Retain depth values of merged drill points?" for example, it will click no for you automatically.

I downloaded it but is asks for a password to run, no where on the website does it say anything about a password.

I'm not familiar with a password being required. I've been using it for over 5 years and I'm not currently running the latest version. My only recommendation is to contact the developer.

I was asking if you could produce a screen recording demonstrating how it works within Mastercam?

Oh, now I see. :laughing:  To answer your question...no.  :p

I don't have the time, software, or desire to. The documentation is perfectly adequate. Sorry John. :(

Perhaps I could help you out with specific questions?

Here's what I use it for...

aff%20settings.png

Ugh, with almost a thousand, and growing, tools & assemblies filter is a sanity saver

I'm guessing many of you don't use the diameter filter either

I don't use that....yet.

Just checked, and my main library has 871 tools, so right now just filtering by tool type is good enough for me. But I probably should start using it for my drills since I have a bajillion of them.

Honestly when you make the filter part of your routine it will end up saving you clicks. Of course if you only have a small tool library you work from then it's just in the way and having the option to set the default to unchecked would be great. 

• Like 1

I have machine specific tool databases I have tailored to our shop and therefore filtering usually gets in the way.  If I need to add a tool to the db, I do it by building it thru the stand alone tool manager.  I rarely pick from the generic tool dbs.