Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why I have stuck with X7sp2

Why I have stuck with X7sp2

For many reasons

1 the sort of work I  program now does not demands from me 

new features

is stable and for my work free of bugs

It is heavily customized optimized specific to my work

Why I have to get used to the new interface

AND why to pay maintenance

So you see folx sometimes it worth to think before rushing to update you system every half a year

BR

and once you decide it's is a good time to move forward...

at this point you are 4 versions back and being that far behind, and off maintenance, your fee to get a new version will be substantial.....

but I digress :)

Hope all is well Alex!

Well guys that`s the difference between you and me .

Doing now very specific work typical and simple from technological  and programming point  of view

I simply see no sense in  update

Thats my plant

I make extrusion dies .

Returned  to my roots

First I made dies for allumium and bronze ,after that plastic molds ,now extrusion of alluminum

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I'd find a new job if I had to use X7.

Funny you say that...

2 years ago, before I accepted the job where I am at now, I had accepted a job in another place......the $ money was the same, bene's better but a fair offer, I tried to talk them into updating their version of Mastercam........X6 I "think"......didn't want to do it.....when this place came a calling, that was a consideration....in my experience, a company that won't stay current with their software versions is "usually" cheap on other things as well...

I've known many people who have stuck with and older version.

For some it was financial, some refused to learn a new interface and for some the old version did all that was required.

In most cases what forced an upgrade was hardware issues.

Diehard V9 guys have a hard time keeping a compatible machine running.

That is becoming the case with X thru X5, though I think it will be many years before it will be difficult to buy a compatible X7 machine.

I think X6 is the sunset version with the release of MC2018 so X7 will sunset next year when MC2019 is released.

I purchased V7 in 1998.

I think maintenance was introduced in 2001 and I've always kept my personal seat current and will renew this year.

I've always had a day job that kept maintenance current, though fighting about it led to such bad blood that

I left one job over it.  Maintenance is coming up at my current job and it's always been a given that it will be renewed.

Under our new management, that is no longer the case.  I'll just have to wait and see.

As many know, was forced to look for a new job this year, company I was working for was on an older version. lack of experience with the latest cost me some serious opportunity.

jus sayin.. it has many ways of bighting you in the behind. but then again there is a cost.

5 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

As many know, was forced to look for a new job this year, company I was working for was on an older version. lack of experience with the latest cost me some serious opportunity.

jus sayin.. it has many ways of bighting you in the behind. but then again there is a cost.

+1...   owning and being current with the latest version of Mastercam has brought me many opportunities that would not have come my way otherwise

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gcode said:

I purchased V7 in 1998.

I think maintenance was introduced in 2001 and I've always kept my personal seat current and will renew this year.

I've always had a day job that kept maintenance current, though fighting about it led to such bad blood that

I left one job over it.  Maintenance is coming up at my current job and it's always been a given that it will be renewed.

Under our new management, that is no longer the case.  I'll just have to wait and see.

Gcode soyou know maintenance came in 2004 actually at the end of V9.

You know some for some of these versions I don't call it moving forward. I liken it to moving from Windows 98 to Windows ME. Some features are really great moving into new versions but man there are some bad spots.

• Like 1

I know switching from v9 to x2 with in  one day it was better, switching from X9 to 2017 after a month it is worse, if the quick access toolbar was bigger and better I would not mind it to bad. THE TOOL BARS ARE MY LIFE, ONE CLICK!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mike93 said:

I know switching from v9 to x2 with in  one day it was better, switching from X9 to 2017 after a month it is worse, if the quick access toolbar was bigger and better I would not mind it to bad. THE TOOL BARS ARE MY LIFE, ONE CLICK!

switched from x8 to 2017 same opinion. Not exactly lipstick on a pig scenario, because I like Mastercam, but superficial changes to a 'click rich' interface that don't add a lot of value, waste of money and especially time. Maintenance should be invested in innovative, substantive changes driven by user demand.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, pete_hull said:

switched from x8 to 2017 same opinion. Not exactly lipstick on a pig scenario, because I like Mastercam, but superficial changes to a 'click rich' interface that don't add a lot of value, waste of money and especially time. Maintenance should be invested in innovative, substantive changes driven by user demand.

But how could they keep sales targets if they didn´t look fresh?

You know, I´ve been for many years a critic of many things in this industry, and I finally got the message in the last couple of years.

It´s almost an irony that a niche that has so much innovation also has a lot of status quo in their sales & marketing practices. In these two areas, they only change when there´s a big opportunity to make more money. A good example is the subscription model that some companies are pushing. I think Mastercam and Edgecam are in the right path to keep things as they are.

We´re seeing so many quality issues in our CAM product (Not MC) but they never bother to skip facelifts and add new stuff that is not ready for prime time. It´s a nightmare to get 7 bugs out of 10 support tickets and I believe that is the situation Mastercam was 4-5 years ago. Believe me, MC now is not as bad as you may think compared to this.

If you show up in a demo with a software that looks too much 90´s or 2000´s, odds are high you are going to be dumped. NC-Simul went through a massive facelift even though the product is robust for many years. Same with VERICUT. Same with Edgecam. Same with many stuff out there. It´s a business model.

One that´s working for the past 40 years by the way.

• Like 1