Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why oh Why

TERRYH

It really pains me to see MC come out with new versions and change stuff just to change something and not make any improvements in the change, then to break something that I personally use all the time. it would be nice if our requests are actually addressed and stuff fixed rather than saying we'll send it on up the chain and turn in a ticket, only for it to get lost in the great big ticket jar, that sucker has to be huge. I am not sure how many people use this for the same sort of work we do tool and die, inspection fixtures and assembly fixtures, vs mass production machine shop work but it seems this is a trend that has happened since I have been working with it for 13 years this year. Sorry for the rant but they broke my favorite button and you have to select it every single time you use it rather than turn it on and leave it like it has been in previous versions. 

CNC.png

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TERRYH said:

Sorry for the rant but they broke my favorite button and you have to select it every single time you use it rather than turn it on and leave it like it has been in previous versions. 

Weird, I used the window selector and chainged it from the default "Inside" to "Instersecting"

It stuck there and I haven't been able to get it back to "Inside"

23 hours ago, TERRYH said:

It really pains me to see MC come out with new versions and change stuff just to change something and not make any improvements in the change, then to break something that I personally use all the time. it would be nice if our requests are actually addressed and stuff fixed rather than saying we'll send it on up the chain and turn in a ticket, only for it to get lost in the great big ticket jar, that sucker has to be huge. I am not sure how many people use this for the same sort of work we do tool and die, inspection fixtures and assembly fixtures, vs mass production machine shop work but it seems this is a trend that has happened since I have been working with it for 13 years this year. Sorry for the rant but they broke my favorite button and you have to select it every single time you use it rather than turn it on and leave it like it has been in previous versions. 

CNC.png

Hi Terry,

The change to the User Interface is saved through the Mastercam.Workspace file. This is written to you "My Mastercam2023" Folder.

If your company and IT group are running OneDrive, this is likely where you are having issues. Your "Workspace" File is being restored to the original.

Go to "My Documents", and find the "My Mastercam 2023" Folder. Inside is a subfolder called "Mastercam", and inside that is a "CONFIG" Folder. this is where your Workspace File is stored.

If it isn't "OneDrive", it could also be your IT Security permissions. Contact your IT Department, and ask them to do the following:

For your User Profile, set "Full Control" for the following folders:

C:\users\___________\Documents\My Mastercam 2023 < Your User Profile, "My Documents" Folder. Could be OneDrive, could be server-mapped, etc.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Mastercam 2023 < Your Shared Folder.

C:\Program Files\Mastercam 2023 < Your Mastercam Install Folder

• Like 5

THIS! I don't get it. Also I don't get the new icons for operation manager and tool manager. Who cares? They bring zero value to the product.

And now that we're here.. here's my #1 rant on 2023. The wider tool list is actually the main reason I decided to try 2023. Yet somehow they still managed to make it a double edged sword. Stop hiding information, we're not idiots (generally) and don't get confused if "too much information is put on display at once". Ty.

rantrantrant.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

THIS! I don't get it. Also I don't get the new icons for operation manager and tool manager. Who cares? They bring zero value to the product.

And now that we're here.. here's my #1 rant on 2023. The wider tool list is actually the main reason I decided to try 2023. Yet somehow they still managed to make it a double edged sword. Stop hiding information, we're not idiots (generally) and don't get confused if "too much information is put on display at once". Ty.

rantrantrant.png

This one bugged me, too. We did a lot of work to expand and rearrange this tool page to give you guys better visibility into a larger chunk of the tool list and to actually use this space in 2024, and do things like get the tool #, length, and offset #'s all in one column with a one-after-another tab order so that it's easy to visually pick out when there's a difference or a problem between offset #'s. There are a bunch of controls that you don't see in this screenshot that can appear in some of that empty space when you do things like use an MT machine or other special scenarios, but we still ended up with what we think are some big visibility gains.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

This one bugged me, too. We did a lot of work to expand and rearrange this tool page to give you guys better visibility into a larger chunk of the tool list and to actually use this space in 2024, and do things like get the tool #, length, and offset #'s all in one column with a one-after-another tab order so that it's easy to visually pick out when there's a difference or a problem between offset #'s. There are a bunch of controls that you don't see in this screenshot that can appear in some of that empty space when you do things like use an MT machine or other special scenarios, but we still ended up with what we think are some big visibility gains.

Making the table wider was a great idea no doubt but by limiting the number of visible rows it adds to more scrolling activity, and every lost second counts.

Just now, SlaveCam said:

Making the table wider was a great idea no doubt but by limiting the number of visible rows it adds to more scrolling activity, and every lost second counts.

That's the exact impetus for going back in and expanding this vertically for 2024. Looking at your tool library through a keyhole is not great for visibility and speed and we wanted to improve this.

4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Terry,

The change to the User Interface is saved through the Mastercam.Workspace file. This is written to you "My Mastercam2023" Folder.

If your company and IT group are running OneDrive, this is likely where you are having issues. Your "Workspace" File is being restored to the original.

Go to "My Documents", and find the "My Mastercam 2023" Folder. Inside is a subfolder called "Mastercam", and inside that is a "CONFIG" Folder. this is where your Workspace File is stored.

If it isn't "OneDrive", it could also be your IT Security permissions. Contact your IT Department, and ask them to do the following:

For your User Profile, set "Full Control" for the following folders:

C:\users\___________\Documents\My Mastercam 2023 < Your User Profile, "My Documents" Folder. Could be OneDrive, could be server-mapped, etc.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Mastercam 2023 < Your Shared Folder.

C:\Program Files\Mastercam 2023 < Your Mastercam Install Folder

We do not use OneDrive , and like I said it used to work before we changed to 2023 select it once and it stayed for the entire session, or until you changed it, but there are other things they changed for no apparent reason other than to add clicks. And they changed the names of stuff but if you hover your mouse over something with a new name the pop up window still has the old name. 

• Haha 1

Just here to vent as well ...

There has been a lot of let's change this and add more clicks to access features that used to be much more simple in the last few releases.

One of my biggest complaints was why did they have to change  the trim function to 2 or 3 different menus from 2019 to 2020.

I'm sticking to 2022 for now....

Maybe I'm just getting set in my ways and old and cranky. The V9 I started on was so simpler quicker and dirty LOL.

• Like 3

One of my many gripes for 2023. I recently updated from X9 to 2023 so I don't know how long this has been going on. 

Solids- Boolean-Add: User is prompted to select Target body. User clicks Target body. User is prompted to select Tool bodies. User clicks the first Tool body. ERROR!  User has to right click in the box on the left, click Add Tool body, then click Tool bodies. (Going from memory so some of the verbiage might be off)

No, this isn't the end of the world,  but how about some consistency? 

34 minutes ago, Thad said:

One of my many gripes for 2023. I recently updated from X9 to 2023 so I don't know how long this has been going on. 

Solids- Boolean-Add: User is prompted to select Target body. User clicks Target body. User is prompted to select Tool bodies. User clicks the first Tool body. ERROR!  User has to right click in the box on the left, click Add Tool body, then click Tool bodies. (Going from memory so some of the verbiage might be off)

No, this isn't the end of the world,  but how about some consistency? 

This one I can confirm is fixed by the CAD team in 2024. You no longer have to go over and click in the panel and can immediately go and add tool bodies. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Again, going from memory...

When you rotate or scale, there's a center of selection (checked by default - I like it!) as the From option (or center of rotation option). But when you Translate, the option isn't there. A visual cue of a point will appear at the center of selection, but it's not selectable. It used to be selectable.

6 hours ago, Prototype_guy said:

Just here to vent as well ...

There has been a lot of let's change this and add more clicks to access features that used to be much more simple in the last few releases.

One of my biggest complaints was why did they have to change  the trim function to 2 or 3 different menus from 2019 to 2020.

I'm sticking to 2022 for now....

Maybe I'm just getting set in my ways and old and cranky. The V9 I started on was so simpler quicker and dirty LOL.

I will let the Cat out of the bag on this. It is going back to one drop down for all those functions in 2024.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Thad said:

Again, going from memory...

When you rotate or scale, there's a center of selection (checked by default - I like it!) as the From option (or center of rotation option). But when you Translate, the option isn't there. A visual cue of a point will appear at the center of selection, but it's not selectable. It used to be selectable.

In 2023 and 2024, I have the "checkered ball" center of selection/center of mass available for Translate and Rotate both, and if I start to move the translate/rotate gnomon controls, the checkered ball appears and I can drop the gnomon on the ball. Is this something you can't see/select?

On 2/18/2023 at 3:05 AM, crazy^millman said:

I will let the Cat out of the bag on this. It is going back to one drop down for all those functions in 2024.

I had put an enhancement request in wayyyy back in the day, to split out trim/divide so I could have an individual (separate) mapped key for the one operation.

So any pain, gripes and general dislike can be thrown my way. I have broad shoulders :hrhr:

18 hours ago, Chally72 said:

In 2023 and 2024, I have the "checkered ball" center of selection/center of mass available for Translate and Rotate both, and if I start to move the translate/rotate gnomon controls, the checkered ball appears and I can drop the gnomon on the ball. Is this something you can't see/select?

Yes, I do see that. Here's my problem:

Try the Translate Vector From/To option. Press Reselect. A visual cue of the center appears but it's not selectable to be the From location. 

On 2/17/2023 at 2:27 PM, Chally72 said:

Terry, I tried and couldn't repeat this in 2023. I'm on Update 3. What version are you on?

we are on 2023 update 3 we stay current hoping at least a small portion of the stuff we find and report will be fixed. 

5 hours ago, Thad said:

Yes, I do see that. Here's my problem:

Try the Translate Vector From/To option. Press Reselect. A visual cue of the center appears but it's not selectable to be the From location. 

Ah, I see what you mean in 2023 for specifically that Vector From/To control. The CAD team apparently tagged this one as well. In 2024, you're able to grab that center of mass at any point in time during the Vector From/To process.

1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

we are on 2023 update 3 we stay current hoping at least a small portion of the stuff we find and report will be fixed. 

I can't get that option to NOT stick when I test it. Back to Colin's points- perhaps there is an issue with your workspace file that's the root cause of this. If you delete (or move, so you can move them back) your workspace files and allow Mastercam to recreate them fresh upon startup, do you still have this selection issue?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Here is something new I have never seen before, when we do our trim dies we cut the trim steels and punches leaving .02 on the trim edges, then the die is assembled and we put the whole assembly back in the machine and do what we call a hard cut (remove the .02 stock on the trim edges) this had 6 different tools total, and a total of 26 programs because we have them run all programs and give finish points for them to check to verify stock and then we give them programs to use as "spring cuts" with larger step downs so they run faster and they can us new tooling if the others were dull or chipped. in 2023 all program names match my instruction sheets and all tools match corresponding programs, all programs were posted at same time 1 thru 18 were fine BUT 19 thru 26 all had the wrong tool numbers and wrong tools for the corresponding programs not sure how that even happens. the operators seen it when they started the programs watching the header info in single block so luckily nothing but time was lost. I re-opened the part double checked my stuff did nothing but re posted them with zero changes in MC and they were all correct. stuff like this drives me crazy because we don't know why it happened, and just continues to add to the list of things we have to watch and worry about.