Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Code Expert 8 Seconds for Splash Screen, Do the Math!

Jobnt

Who at CNC Software is patting themselves on the back making us stare at that stupid splash screen for 8 seconds instead of letting us get to work faster?

If you run Code Expert 10 times a day 5 days a week for 52 weeks: 

That's over 6 minutes a week wasted by CNC Software's ego-maniacs.

That's over 25 minutes a month wasted by CNC Software's ego-maniacs.

That's over 5 hours every year WASTED by CNC Software's ego-maniacs.

Someone at CNC Software is inflating their ego at a cost to us of almost $1,000.00 every stinkin' year per programmer.

Just now, Leon82 said:

mine takes longer to boot up i think.

i love how the camplete splashcreen prevents you from doing anything. at least you can turn mastercams off.

After you open it once, close it and open it again. With such a small footprint this weak little code editor should load in a second after the first time.

This is intentional. Run a task manager, expand Mastercam's process tree, then start Code Expert. Jumps for a split second then dies to 0% for 8 seconds, then jumps again to load the interface then closes the splash screen. 

A total and complete disregard for their customer's time and money. Pathetic if you ask me. 

11 minutes ago, Jobnt said:

After you open it once, close it and open it again. With such a small footprint this weak little code editor should load in a second after the first time.

This is intentional. Run a task manager, expand Mastercam's process tree, then start Code Expert. Jumps for a split second then dies to 0% for 8 seconds, then jumps again to load the interface then closes the splash screen. 

A total and complete disregard for their customer's time and money. Pathetic if you ask me. 

Not to take away the target of your rant, however , I find that security/anti virus scanning is my slowdown .

19 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Not to take away the target of your rant, however , I find that security/anti virus scanning is my slowdown .

A security/antivirus process would attach before it started loading the process. This slowdown to zero % is after the process has loaded but before the GUI is shown. 

I remember being LoL'd at when I asked the benefit of code expert (why it was written)  when it was introduced in the Beta days....because the historic editor worked so fast and well. And it still had more features at the time (IDK now).

But I was told "the historic editor was (at the time) 15 years old written in (can't remember the language now) and the new is blah blah C+++++++++++++++++ or whatever)"....

I remember at the time saying I didn't care what language it was written in, but it was a backward step....

• Thanks 1

Are you sure something else doesn't slowing you down?

I've got a pretty old (7 years i guess) and slow computer (Xeon E5-1650v3 CPU) and successive running of Code Expert takes about 3s to open (8s for first launch).

I use CimcoEdit (Pro 2023) which is a little faster though.

18 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

I use Cimco. 

+1

17 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I remember being LoL'd at when I asked the benefit of code expert (why it was written)  when it was introduced in the Beta days

I use Code expert exclusively for post editing, it has great tools for that particular use.

NC files, Cimco is great.

Anything else, Notepad++

4 hours ago, David Colin said:

Are you sure something else doesn't slowing you down?

Pretty sure. I've timed this with a timer over half a dozen times and the load time is within a few milliseconds Every. Single. Time. Even when I reboot the PC it's the exact same load time. 

This morning I started it when I got in. Then I closed it and opened it again right after. While it was sitting for 8 seconds doing absolutely nothing I had time to open IView, press C then press Enter then drag a box around the task manager to grab a screen shot of absolutely NOTHING happening.

I've written enough apps with splash screens to recognize specific behavior. I'd bet anybody a cocktail of their choice there's the equivalent of a Wait() statement in the splash screen code. And I take my cocktails VERY seriously so you KNOW I'm serious. :lol:

image.thumb.png.d843c04c2174a01a3d333e5ea13a7649.png

• Haha 4

Ever since the last couple windows updates I can't even use Code Expert, crashes on launch. (I'm not an update roll backer so I'm stuck with broken CE)

Solution seems to be use Cimco. Doesn't crash. Loads faster. Bonus, no splash screen. Or just don't close Code Expert. Then you don't have to wait for it to load every time you post.

19 minutes ago, MWearne said:

Ever since the last couple windows updates I can't even use Code Expert, crashes on launch. (I'm not an update roll backer so I'm stuck with broken CE)

Solution seems to be use Cimco. Doesn't crash. Loads faster. Bonus, no splash screen. Or just don't close Code Expert. Then you don't have to wait for it to load every time you post.

Yeah, this has been happening a lot but has affected any of our devices or machines windows 10 windows 11, nothing, but customers are affected, rolling back the update is not safe nor is it a solution that is working for everyone, 

6 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Have a shortcut on your desktop (/mastercam/extensions/codeexpert) and open it 1st thing in the morn.

Once it is open, any new posting (did) opens(?) virtually immediately. Then just close down that posted prog, keeping codeex-spurt open....?

This. I watch guys routinely "X" out of the entire code expert application and then repost code only to have the splash screen pop up again, not realizing how much time they're wasting. Just open the application once and leave it open.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

I still use Pfe32 for Post Processor editing.

:coffee:

And CIMCO Editor and Notepad.

:rofl:

Old. As. Dirt. :hrhr:

Just checked (memory) X Editor is what I was using before hand....even copied that into the X7 directory and used it for then too.

I used the default xspurt for 9 onwards though....

49 minutes ago, Fred @ Slate Industries said:

I figured out the 9 seconds to post , when the file name is posting the first time it goes fast..when you re post with the same file name and are " overwriting it " it takes 5 to 9 seconds...One drive / cloud awesomeness...

No, for me it takes 8 seconds every time. Even if I literally just opened and closed it then opened it again.

8 seconds.

Every.

Single.

Time.

I'm thinking this delay is caused by a licensing issue, but that is only a guess.

I have exactly zero experience with Code Expert .

I don't have any machines running dual channels and have never even tried it. 

Around here it is 2023 Cimco Edit, for the win 🙂

• Like 2