Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dual monitors

cadcam

Somebody explain the advantage of dual moniter set-up to me. How does it work? Can you have one app on one moniter and one on the other? I have a dual monitor video card I think, Is this all that is required for this set-up? Thanks and howdy to Trevor Bailey, hey man thanks for all your help while you were out here. I hated to see you go.

quote:

Somebody explain the advantage of dual moniter set-up to me. How does it work? Can you have one app on one moniter and one on the other?

Thats right, you can do that, And from reading some graphics cards that arent normally dual monitor have an adapter.I think, although Ireally dont have this exp. but I am looking into it.

Dual monitors is the best thing ever! My productivity has increased exponentially since getting another monitor. I've got e-mail and cimco on one, and mastercam on the other. It just works like a single huge desktop. If you click maximize, that app will maximize on the monitor it's on only. You can drag windows between monitors. Also, your windows will always open up on the monitor on which they were previously placed. True dual monitor out video cards are the best. I've got a laptop monitor as the main and the second monitor plugged into a regular video card. Just check out your screen properties to set this up.

Brett

Jay that looks cool.

I got a question. What about desktop dual monitors? Can you dripfeed with one and still be able to do other work using the other monitor?

Our computer tech guy suggests a dual monitor hookup. I say get a DNC software. Any opinions?

We tried dual monitors on my older computer a while back. I didn't like it, but the computer was a dinosaur so I can't judge it off of that.

I was gonna start a topic on dual monitors today until I saw this. Kinda weird!

jay,

now im druuling on my key board. ive been working on getting my dual set up here at work with a couple view sonic monitors(with the help of forum of course)but now it seems i just cant keep up with the jones' so to speak.

trevor

I've got dual 19in Samsungs and work and dual 17in

Dells at home. I was at Sam's Club last weekend

and they had Samsung 21in flat screens for $1040.

Talk about lust a first sight!!!

gcode teh caviar tatses and Budwieser budget

I have a Nvidia XGL980 also. You will LOVE that card. There are zero hickups with it, it is fast, and you can run two different monitors in two completely different modes and resolutions; no problem.

Working on post: One monitor with Mastercam and the PST file open. Second monitor with a sample NC file and the result of the current post in a side-by-side compare.

Programming: Mastercam on one monitor, email, web and dnc on the other.

Once you get used to two monitors, you realize how much time you waste doing an alt-tab between applications.

If nothing else, go buy a cheapie 15" lcd as a second monitor. Trust me, you won't regret it.

The problem with laptops is most feed the same screen to both monitors; you can't dedicate different apps to different monitors; at least with the Dell's.

quote:

The problem with laptops is most feed the same screen to both monitors; you can't dedicate different apps to different monitors; at least with the Dell's.

I have a dell and that's exactly what I'm doing. My video card is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 and has dual output support.

Brett

There is 2 ways to do duel monitors.

One: buy a duel monitor card. This is a video card that has 2 plugins. Normally a VGA and a DVI. WARNING not all DVI plugs can be converted to VGA (regular monitors) So you want to verify the DVI port is analog/digital not just digiital. A DVI-VGA adapter will be needed.( this assumes you dont have a flat pannel DVI monitor)

Two: Add a PCI video adapter to your existing system. This even works with onboard graphics. AGP and PCI use differnt adresses for video so there is no hardware conflict. I have read that the newer ATI and newer Geforce card dont play well together on the same system. Once Win XP/2000/98SE sees the second card just go to video propertys, setting there should be a picture of 2 monitors. Make sure the AGP is set to primary and pick extend my desk top to the second monitor.

Three monitors??? Oh yea, You guessed it a twin monitor set up on the AGP and a single monitor on the PCI. Thats 3. I have done it. I never got 4 to work tho. I do have a twin monitor PCI card but it seems the secondary AGP and the Secondary PCI tend to conflict. I guess a twin PCI and single AGP would work but I've not done that one.

Twin monitors since 98SE 1998 smile.gif

I have not tested the Matrox suround video 3 monitor system. Its OpenGL is abit buggy.

• 2 years later...

Dell M70 here with the NVIDIA Quadro FX GO 1400 and I can maximize apps to one screen. I use the laptop display and a dell widescreen for the second screen. It does work well for post editing, mastercam on one screen, post and code on the other. Although I've needed to speed my mouse up, there's a lot of real estate to cover now.