Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fear of tapping

motodog

old school voodoo, new school voodo. its all good.

The important thing is that I'm surrounded by witch doctors.

Somehow I doubt that I'd get this kinda help at the dell users forum!

"pingggg-scritch".

"Have you tried re-booting your computer? Shutting it off?"

I've got a friend that swears by his homemade mini drillpress for tapping, but he whines when I borrow it....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run OSG Hy-Pro Tin form taps in softer materials with great success and use their ExoTap in harder materials [440C, 4340, 17-4PH].

For your application I'd start with 606RPM and hold the tap in a collet chuck.

Test with a bigger drill, like an M, and see if the minor dia is OK; if not I think the 7.4mm is a good suggestion.

Coolant only

Try picking the R point up to about .200 or so above the surface to let the machine build RPM before it hits the piece

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Somehow I doubt that I'd get this kinda help at the dell users forum!...

ROFL..... I'm pretty sure you're right on that account. biggrin.gif

quote:

...old school voodoo, new school voodo. its all good.

The important thing is that I'm surrounded by witch doctors...

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif That's hilarious!!!!!!

This place does rock!

To get the RPM try this : 1/number of threads = thread pich. then / feed rate you want by the pich, and get the rpm's

in other words a 3/8 16 thread = 1/16 = 0.0625 the pich of 3/8 16 thread. Now take the feed rate you want and / this by the pich, and get a rpm of 80

Do a search on the web for tap drill sizes.

Use a cutting oil ( tap magic )

Sorry Bill, but I have to disagree with you.

Those RPM's are nowhere near where thay should be for aluminum. A lot of machines can't even run that low. The RPM's on our 12K spindles don't go any lower than 200. Also IMO using tapping oil is a bad idea. Coolant contamination is one issue, and chips sticking to the tool is another. Coolant only.

I start my tapping feeds at about 25-30 ipm.

Use some sort of lubrication so that the aluminum

doesn't gall the tap. If possible I use a roll tap w/ an axial groove in it so as to relieve hydraulic pressure formed when coolant in the hole has nowhere to go to exit the hole (Jarvis's

Jar-Flow type taps). As far as the depth goes, just go for it or, if your machine can peck tap (Fanuc G84 cycle w/ a Q in it )

Thats the problem...I had too much time to research.

I've only been doing cnc for about 3 months now and still get cold feet every now and then.

Thanks again. I'm using the S508/F25 with the M drill. Its a spot sloppy but hey. Its really f'ing fast and predictable.

I guess now I'm a pro.... I've done it once.

I am really suprised about all the people tapping so slow and using cut taps to do it, Especially in aluminum.

I guess I am to much into a production enviroment to not tap at my machines max capacity of 3000.

Even prototype I still tap at a fast speed rate. If the numbers you have in the control are bad, well it will break the tap at 500 rpm or 3000 rpm. And feed hold works on very few machines if you had bad numbers.

Jim

2 things and I'll go away:

1. don't ever use a spiral fluted tap in aluminum. It's not that they don't work in aluminum but if you ever break one your in for some fun. I use them all the time in steel.

2. Roll form aluminum, period. You will probably have to increase your coolant mixture a bit, I try to stay away from cutting oils as much as possible. There are some water soluable tapping fluids that won't contaminate as much as molly dee. Your coolant mfg should give you a percentage to shoot for when tapping/roll forming.

I have to agree with Harryman about the 6061. I use it for all tests and it is easy to tap. I have a VF-0 and we use G84. Use peck whenever you can, I find that it stops a lot of problems with deep holes.

The cold feet thing will go away - just takes a little time. Good luck!

I have to agree with Harryman about the 6061. I use it for all tests and it is easy to tap. I have a VF-0 and we use G84. Use peck whenever you can, I find that it stops a lot of problems with deep holes.

The cold feet thing will go away - just takes a little time. Good luck!