Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X - SUCKS !!!!!

RandleXX

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Well so fare not one good thing has come out of Randall. Sure talks alott of Crap for one guy.

I carnt agree with you ther Jay.

So far today i have lear,nt from this thread how not to be a DIPS!@T on the forum. And from his other thread i lear,nt that Heidi wont be able to grace the Zoom,Uzoom and Unzoom by 0.8 icons frown.gif . All valuable information rolleyes.gif

now where did that sarcasim icon go to smile.gif

A lot of the problems are learning curve releated

Some of the tangent arc stuff is way different.

It's OK once you figure it out though and reading

the supplied documentation is a big help.

Single key 'Hot keys" are gone

"c for center of arc"

"e for endpoint"

"m for midpoint"

etc

I'm not sure why, I think its some Windows thing.

I'm not real happy about that myself, but old-school guys who don't use Autocursor are REALLY unhappy.

Posting is different. Its harder to post to multiple machines, I don't think CNC Software had any idea how many people needed to do that.

As always, there are some video issues. rolleyes.gif

I've worked them out with my 2 Quadro machines.

I don't know how ATI guys are doing. I don't own any ATI cards and never will.

Now that I have my video issues ironed out

I realy like the new backplot and I've yet to have a "watertight STL" problem in Verify.

As a beta sight, I won't comment on patches and updates, but there will be a Service Pack out before too long.

As a beta site, I've had a 15 month head start on most people. I've been using X for all my Mastercam work for about 3 months now.

I never realize how much I like X until I have to go back to V9 and tweak an old job.

Going from V9 to X is not like going from V8 to V9

Its a whole new interface and there is a lot to learn.

If you think you can jump into X and start doing your high-end production work right away, you're in for a hard time.

I started working with X doing simple tooling jobs and file conversion stuff and worked up to the hard stuff.

After 3 months with X and my new Space Pilot, I feel like I'm back in the Stone Age when I have to do something in V9.

The old-school guys can keep their Done Done Done DoIt routines

biggrin.gif

[ 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

So far,I must say that I am very frustrated with X.

I've played with it for 3+ days now and still haven't gotten it configured to my liking.

THEN when I had it just about cfg'd,somehow,someway my cfg for a certain machine got replaced by the default settings AGAIN!

I mean...come on!!! how many weeks does it take to config this thing! curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

Not to mention the post that I worked my xxxx off on for over a month to get perfect,got all f'd up on the trasnsition to X. and it's f'd up in my V9 folder as well. curse.gif

I am not very happy with it right now. To say the least.

Jeff, I've been there and done that

When you click Files/Edit in the OPS Manger

and edit your post, the edits only apply to that Machine Group in that file.

The orginal copy of the post is unchanged. When you start a new job in the morning, your edits are not there.

To edit a post and make it stick do it from

Machine Type/Machine Definition Manager

quote:

and it's f'd up in my V9 folder as well.

The update utility automatically makes a backup copy of your V9 post

It will be in your destination folder and will be named "postname".pst_V9

As usual, Randle has a very inflammatory way of stating something that I'm sure is felt, to greater or lesser degree, by many Mastercam users. I have X here but have not installed it yet, our computers don't meet the minimum requirements published to run it [they're actually not even close on the microprocessor requirements], but I did attend the one-day seminar offered by S4A last week and I have some concerns about the changeover. I'm sure that many of the things I didn't like at first glance will become readily acceptable when I use the software for awhile but the lack of keyboard shortcuts is irritating to me for sure; I would've sworn that in one of the early posts by CNC they said that the keyboard functionality would remain in X but I assume that when they actually tried to do it they ran into some kind of snag which made it impossible

quote:

Single key 'Hot keys" are gone

"c for center of arc"

"e for endpoint"

"m for midpoint"

etc

I'm not sure why, I think its some Windows thing.

I'm not real happy about that myself, but old-school guys who don't use Autocursor are REALLY unhappy.

I hate Autocursor and I don't completely get the 'Windows problem' explanation as AutoCAD still recognizes my keyboard inputs; can somebody explain this to me. I'm not bashing, just trying to understand the reasoning.

C

I've drawn several part using nothing but the keyboard. Hot Key's abound in X. I use the mouse very little now (as I did in V9).

As for configuring X: I believe you have to work with what's there to deceide what you like first before you start configuring. Some of the defaults might be nice if you just give them a chance. Once you get a feel for what you like, then make the changes. The only configuring I've really done is make some custom tool bars (End select, Unselect, Solid select).

Mike Mattera

quote:

As for configuring X: I believe you have to work with what's there to deceide what you like first before you start configuring.

Agreed.

Using Keyboard Mapping, I have X mostly setup like a Word or Visual Studio (Ex: CTRL+O = File|Open, CTRL+P = File|Print, CTRL+N = File|New) and set things up the way I did in v9 (Ex: F12 = mcamvb.dll).

Just gotta retrain your brain. I have an instructional video but it's only a Beta cassette...no VHS or DVD...sorry wink.gif

I realize that Randle doesn't express himself in a way that gets him anywhere, but I have asked a few questions about X that seem legitimate (at least to me) and haven't got much helpful advise.

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...ic;f=1;t=016379

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...ic;f=1;t=016302

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...ic;f=1;t=016240

I have only been using X for about 2 weeks now, but I don't understand why people that have been beta testing it for many months won't speak up to help me or acknowledge that functions don't work like they should, or at least like they used to. Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the software? What gives?

It is still new even to the Beta people, The final release and getting everything is not easy, also please keep in mind they will help and want to help but also have day jobs, and may not have encountered a specific issue yet that they are able to help you with.

Corey teh + 1 for the beta boys and +1 for X -1 for the hurdle but just keep pushung and hang in there.

I got to see the demo version . And I do not understand why mastercam decided to up root the whole interface. From a person who is very fluent in mastercam. I never use the little icons on top of version 8. I personaly could not stand them. Took to long to move the mouse up on top rather than the quick movements on the left side of the screen to navigate the tree fast and efficient.

I did not see anything ground breaking regarding mcam x. I saw a new interface that quite frankly seems to be a aquired taste. I do not understand why they could not of had a option to reset the tree for the folks who would rather have something more comfortable. Supposedly this was all done for faster mouse clicks. But when you have to constantly travel the mouse everywhere around the screen to get what you need, instead of 1/4-1/2" movements on left side of the screen. Seems like in reality it is going to be a slower process.

Imho so far what I can gather. Is that mastercam has not really produced anything new in this release except for this new interface. And coming from a small company who has to keep things tight to keep our head afloat. Paying a big surcharge to get to version 10, then pay another monthly fee so that we may have the updates to the software to fix the problems and bugs in the software is not a cost I want to afford.

Jim

Chris,

quote:

I would've sworn that in one of the early posts by CNC they said that the keyboard functionality would remain in X but I assume that when they actually tried to do it they ran into some kind of snag which made it impossible

I kind of remember someone saying we would be able to choose the interface we wanted. The old V9 or the windows style new interface. I am guessing this also didn't make it into MCX since no one has mentioned this.

I think we (I don't have it yet) need to put some time into MCX and learn how to work with it, but, it does seem that there are quite a few issues to be worked out. Especially with such a long beta period.

I am still looking forward to getting and starting down my own learning curve. I know there will be some bumps to overcome but getting big air has always been a rush.

Phil

You really need some persistence if you've been using the "old" Mastercam from years and converting to X.

While many things work the way they did in v9, some are far different.

You can't keep thinking that you want to do it exactly how you did it before. Think of this as if you are learning a totally different product (because it is, in many ways).

In total, complete, unvarnished honesty, I can say that I love this new product.

I'm sure there are "bugs" that will now be smoked out, and that would happen if CNC beta tested it for 100 years.

But these will be fixed soon, and with the new Mastercam you will get these updates automatically if you are on maintenance (see Help, Update Mastercam).

I get very frustrated when I "have" to go back to v9 as I am spoiled by all the conveniences in X. There are a lot of jewels in there, keep digging.

I keep reading lots of broad statements like what Charles is saying from some who have been using X for awhile. What I need is some help on specific things like I linked to earlier in this thread - not vague comments about how much better we are going to like it.

I am in the process of learning X it is going ok, but I keep finding the program really doesn't do anything more it just has a "windows" interface.The reduction in clicks everyone was talking about I haven't seen yet either it just seems like you click in more different spots than before.

I wonder why ver X won't open more than 1 file in a session so you can window back and forth like other windows programs

Been using X for almost 2 weeks now and I think I'm pretty much up to the same speed toolpathing with X as I was in 9. I think there are a lot of improvements to the toolpathing side in this version that are getting overlooked because of the brand new interface slowing everyone that was used to earlier versions of MC down.

Anyone tried the new edit common parameters manager yet? Freakin slick... the little bit Ive used it so far it seems to actually work now unlike v9. It's much more than we were asking for I think. Awesome addition that was sorely needed for a long time.

Most toolpaths seem to crunch a little faster too, which is very nice. I know I had one leftover path on a particular part that took over 3 hours to generate in v9 that generated in about 25 minutes in X.

I love the new Toolpath Manager, it's how wish it had been for a long time now.....besides a couple of things you could do in 9 that got left out for some reason (which Im guessing will be fixed soon). Only drawback for me is the fact that its always there on the left of the screen taking up valuable space on my monitor. I'd rather be able to turn it off and on like before..but I can live with it.

Like a lot of others though, I'm not liking the new interface at all with the loss of single button hotkeys. The new selection ribbon bar thing stinks IMHO...the whole thing is a big PITA that slows down workflow considerably. I find myself having to click more instead of less to get things done now.

Also, some of the functionality that used to be there is now gone.....In older versions of MC you were never limited to what menu command you wanted to use if you had it assigned to a hotkey or toolbar icon, except for not being able to delete while the toolpath manager was active. You could use any menu command you wanted to while the Toolpath or WCS Managers were active. Now you need to exit out of either to create/edit/xform/modify/etc...big setback IMO.

Overall, I think we did get a better product with X....but I am missing v9 already frown.gif

quote:

Give us a hint

He is part of this community...

As far as having to reach up soooooo highhhh in the sky for you icons on top....

Did anyone forget that not only can you move them but you can also place them right in your graphics area!

Now you only have to move an inch.

try doing this in V9 wink.gif