Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X - SUCKS !!!!!

RandleXX

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course X sucks...

It requires learning and some study in order to get anything out of it, it will not come automaticaly.

it has had some very experianced people as beta testers real CAD/CAM programmers working on it Me I am as thick as a short plank, however by reading and pratice I find that I get on well using the demo until my ungrade comes.

I see from your profile Randle. that you call yourself a Toolpath Engineer I have a feeling you could not stand in the shadow of guys like Mike Mattera and the other beta testers.

In closing I would like to say thanks to the beta testers for all the effort they have put in, and apologise for the morons they have been working for.

Yours thicky Geo...

quote:

Ahhh....you got a Davis Manual

Nope....

I hate reading.....

Next clue:

Why read the book,when you can watch teh movie????

Another clue...... :

quote:

you could not stand in the shadow of guys like Mike Mattera

I have heard and know for a fact that this dude does seminars in front of many mastercam re-sellers and users (which takes Balls) and shows them things that they have never seen before.... eek.gif

The only thing that sux about X is the fact that I don't have it. I haven't had 9 for very long and I have only been doing some very basic stuff. I don't want to get it to entrenched in my brain and have to relearn everything X style. From what I have seen, X looks like it has a lot in common with my low-end TurboCAD that has made me very happy, I'm looking forward to taking the courses with InHouse and starting to fly.

Steve

All you guys complaining about X, I have 2 words for you.

Seat time.

Spend some with it and you will begin to "get" what is going on.

It is different.

As good as V9 is/was, if you were just sitting down to that for the 1st time you would be pretty much just as lost, a week or 2 later, you'd be cruising along and doing most tasks easily.

Give it some time.

Or maybe if you're really that messed up. Go take a class, they are not all that expensive.

JM2C

quote:

The update utility automatically makes a backup copy of your V9 post

It will be in your destination folder and will be named "postname".pst_V9

That's what I've been trying to say... BOTH of my posts in my V9 folder are corrupted and changed! the .pst AND the .pstV_9 curse.gifcurse.gif

after 30+ hours on X,I am ready to stick it somewhere and forget about it 4ever.

I have yet to post a program yet cuz all i've been doing is F'ing with sh!T!!!!

quote:

I actually admire the man for just ringing you all up with such a minimal effort.

That's easy Jack when you have a moron that has never contributed one ounce of effort to help someone, instead only to come on here and b!tch and complain about the tools we use to make a living. It shows his intelligence. If he had enough to contribute something, then maybe we would take his opinion seriously.

quote:

I know it's my fault,
bonk.gif
I'm just really frustrated.

And thanks for letting me vent.

Vent away, my friend. cheers.gif

I have a copy of all of our posts locally on each seat, on the network, on a floppy, burned on a CD in my toolbox, on my home computer, and burned on a CD at home. tongue.gif

Thad teh overkill?

quote:

That's easy Jack when you have a moron that has never contributed one ounce of effort to help someone, instead only to come on here and b!tch and complain about the tools we use to make a living. It shows his intelligence. If he had enough to contribute something, then maybe we would take his opinion seriously.

Yeah, what the bird said!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

...........nuff.

PEACE biggrin.gif

OK, here are some specifics of things I like about X; so far and in no particular order.

If you have specific questions about how something works in X, just ask.

We may want to start another thread for that, like "How it Works in X" because "X Sucks" is such a stupid and negative topic. We need to focus on the future. No whiners; let's get serious and work in a serious and constructive way.

• Zip2go utility allows you to automatically pack up all files associated with a job (post processor, MCX, etc) with one click.

• Update Mastercam automatically (like Norton Antivirus) using Help, Update Mastercam.

• Attributes always visible, and much easier to change.

• Planes have been re-worked and are simpler to use.

• Preview any Xform operation.

• Trim is far easier to use. Click once to single trim, double click to trim two entities.

• Pick a chain by simple holding the Shift key and clicking on an entity in the chain.

• Double click to end spline selection, polygon select, and more.

• Just keep creating entities. There is not need to End anything, and say goodbye forever to Done, Done, Done, Do It!

• Pre-select or post-select geometry. In other words, pick your geometry and then the function, or pick the function then select the geometry.

• Click one to select, click again to unselect.

• To window anything in, just click and drag. No need to select Window first.tc.

• polygon select, double click to end

• Many consolidated functions. Only five Line functions that do what it took nine to do in X.

• Fields remember previously entered values

• Gradient background support.

• Operations and Solids managers always accessible. No need to stop what you are doing to view the Operations Manager!

• Alt-O to temporarily hide the Toolpaths/Solids manager to maximize your drawing space when drawing.

• CPU usage is flat-lined unless you are doing something.

• Infinite undo/redo!

• All/Only selections are very fast and efficient.

• No more File, Converters, Next Menu, etc. Just File, Get, and select the file type.

• Multi-surface machining FZT fast Z-cut…. 3D surface toolpaths faster and better

• 5-axis continues to get better and better

• Live entities” give you a chance to preview and change any entity parameter before your commit to it.

• The menus are reorganized and grouped in a far more logical way. The menu is “flat” meaning everything is there, and you can get to it with usually only one or two clicks.

• Zoom is cursor sensitive. When you start to zoom with the mouse wheel, cursor location determines the center of focus.

• Program any machine in the same session. You can program, verify, and post a part as it moves from the lathe to the mill, and then to the Wire EDM all in the same MCX graphic.

• Accept and stay in function. No need to continue to select Line when creating lines.

• Complete customization. Program the right mouse button or any keyboard key to be exactly what you want. Create your own toolbars. Make Mastercam display only things you want.

• Support for space ball.

• Divide is a single click.

• And on, and on, and on……

Hey RandleXX

All I got to say is stop and pull your head out of your arse and look where your at. You can't be very smart if your going to come in here and say that kind of stuff. Which is very obvious by your remarks.

Yes X most likely has some bugs, but it is still

SAAAWEEEET.

The right mouse menu is awesome. You can have menus and submenus with more menus and so on and soforth. Just give it some time. Unless your not "MAN" enough. Its easy to stand on the sidelines and pitch a fit and criticize INHOUSE for X. Where's the new software you wrote. If its so perfect can I have a copy. I know I bet its just like your programming skills. VAPORWARE!!!!!!!

PUNK.

I'm not going to bother responding to Randle, it seems obvious to me that this thread was just meant to amuse him. I just come in here once in a while to try and help where (and when) I can (actually, I do seem to remember working on a certain individuals setup sheet at 10 PM - last time I do anything like that for him).

In any case, I just want to see if I can help Jeff with his post issue. From what I gather Jeff, you updated a V9 post with the target directory set to the V9 posts folder (I highly suggest leaving the target directory where it is, or at the very least, make it where you wish the post to live - seperate from the V9 post folder). I am guessing that you then attempted to update the post that had already been updated - the result being that the backup files of the V9 post ended up being overwritten by the backup files of the X post. I'm sorry, but there really isn't much we can do other than to strip out all of the changes X made to the post. The .txt file will still be ok because it isn't used anyway.

So, if you want to email the post to me I'll see what I can do. Or, you can do it yourself. Easiest thing to do is to delete the first line, then delete all dollar signs, then delete all of the post text at the end of the post. Look at any error messages update post may have placed (Do a search for <<) and fix the logic if you need to.

As far as X goes, I'll need to know exactly what is wrong with your output in order to help.

Putting up a bunch of curse.gifbanghead.gifbonk.gifmad.giffirebounce.gif icons is not going to help, but sending me the post and control file and explaining what prolems you are having just might... [email protected]

X is more than and interface change. It is a whole new program. Instead of bogging down your CPU it runs much more efficiently. Because of this it takes some learning and trial and error. Once you learn your way around you will be programming faster than ever before. I am still learning myself and I love all the new stuff I can do in X. As for the bugs, I have not had any bug problems with the final release version and I believe most of what people are experiencing are not know how to use the software. READ READ READ the installation and transition information that came with your software guys and gals.

I have to agree with Charles Davis on his opinion of X, I see it being much more streamlined than 9, with "SEAT TIME".

But, to go along with Mr. Davis's list of things to "like" about X, here is a list of things I have had problems with in X....

*When "merging" files the merged surfs turn "red" and will not go back to their assigned "color" no matter what I do. In analyze/properties it says they are the correct color but there is no mistaking color #12 on the screen!!! (and, no, I am NOT color blind.)

*Bounding box origin jumps from "center" to lower left corner. I cannot change it back for nothing.

*I get a "lockup" whenever I have tried to edit a tool in the ops manager. I have learned to use the "toolpath manager" for any and ALL tool edits if I do not want to re-start MCX!

*I miss single digit hot keys, and the auto-cursor is WAY too small. (note to CNC Software, "AUTOCAD")

*Saved files are much, much larger in size than the same exact file in 9.

*Posting programs seems to take longer than it did in 9. (9 seemed to take longer than 8 also.)

*Delete operations take longer due to the constant "end-selection" routine. I would like to see item deleted as soon as it is picked so I can see "behind" it instantly. (note to CNC Software, "AUTOCAD")

*A "dockable" ops manager would be nice so it is not stuck on left side of screen when picking geometry for toolpaths. I use the "toggle ops" option ALOT.

*Machine and control definitions seems a little like OVERKILL. Posts should do most of this anyway.

I have posted a few questions concerning these problems, but like jctjct, I have had little response from forum. I am definately NOT trying to be a "Randlexx",just voicing an opinion and would like to hear if any of my fellow programming brothers have had any of these issues, or found any of their own?

Also, I have a copy of Mike Matteras "Tips and tricks for manufacturing-mill level 3" from V9 that I purchased early this year. I did learn a couple of things even though I have been using MC since V7 pretty much every day. He seems a little more relaxed on video than he does on this forum, ease up on the caffeine Mike.

Question

quote:

*When "merging" files the merged surfs turn "red" and will not go back to their assigned "color" no matter what I do. In analyze/properties it says they are the correct color but there is no mistaking color #12 on the screen!!! (and, no, I am NOT color blind.)

Answer

The merged enities have become a group and take on the group's color. You can fix this with the group command in the far right corner of the screen.

You can kill this behaviour in the Color section of Screen Config.