Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X - SUCKS !!!!!

RandleXX

Brett,

Do a search. The jittery backplot has been covered a couple times. It was one of the first few issues that was talked. gcode has provide some help on them so use his member number in the search.

It was a video issue IIRC but so far, everyone has been able to correct it, AFAIK.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

I like the divide function it works great.

Me too! I was doing some sample drawings today at work and used it.

There are 2 things that I like about fillets. I like the preview and if you put your mouse about in the center of the rad, it only takes one click to create it!

Still haven't done any 3D wireframe with it though. I've only done simple pockets and contours as far as toolpaths go.

Thad

Chipps...

----------------------

There are so many differences even the help is not F1 like windows software. The undo with solids and geometry has many quirks and is not windows just to name a couple. The graphic card problems that are there and the necessary settings to get it to work affects Solidworks too so it wont handle standard windows graphics either.

----------------------

1) It's easy for you to change F1 to be 'Help'. It's hard for us to re-train tens of thousands of users who are use to it being 'zoom'.

2) The only known "quirk" is that anything you do involving a solid is not undo-able. But is modifiable in th Solids Manager. It has nothing to do with being "windows".

3) In V9 you most likely had to turn down your hardware acceleration to run Mastercam. If so, turn it back up to run X. I've got X and SolidWorks (& Inventor & SolidEdge & and a handful of CAD viewers) and I run fully accelerated all the time. Again, this had nothing to do with being "windows", but with our OpenGL implementation.

In general, I don't know where you're getting your information about whether a software product is what you call "windows".

one thing i liked about V9, you could click the question mark then the function in question and you would get an explination, it would work on anything not just certain things. the help section worked better, when doing a search you only had to type just a few letters and it would start searching, but now you have to type the whole word.

I'm not sure which functions your talking about but most menus and boxs have ? for quick access to specific help about the function you clicked on.

Look on the ribbon bar when you have a create function there is a ? right there.

They are context sensitive.

HTH

Well I did not elaborate too much about X not being Windows because the fear of being berated for even mentioning.

In front of me I have a Microsoft keyboard and I will list some of the keys F1=Help F2=Undo F3=Redo F4=New F5=Open F6=Close just to name some.

On this work PC there are 16 programs that we basically use every day and all these keys work on 14 of them the other 2 are Mastercam 9.1 and Mastercam X and you must know the result.

I hear what you say about previous users but perhaps if you had not let it go for 10 years to attempt Windows programming you wouldn't have this time warp gap of using Windows commands. It is the Windows age now not the stone age.

We have 3 CAD software here that we use one especially a lot because of the inadequacies of Mastercam modeling and in the solids we click undo and it undoes the the solid thats why I was saying that Mastercam has undo quirks and not like windows either. Maybe I should have added like what we are used to.

I was merely raising the points of what I had encountered.

• 5 months later...

Oh yes, geo creation is much quicker if you like clicking your mouse 36 times to make one entity. Not liking it so far, but everyone keeps saying it gets better.........

I just started using MCX MR1 and haven't had this level of frustration in years........

Why do I have to go to "Analyze" now to change a color and how do I cahange multiple entities QUICKY and EASILY??

Why can't I renumber an existing NC file? (It never fails, I always add something AFTER I post the job.)

Why do I need to open the editor to communicate with my machine? How do I open the editor from MCX?

I've been using MC since V3.1 and learned more in two days with the tutorial book earlier this week than the last ten years. I feel dumb and don't like it.

Will hopefully find mucho help here, but feel that if "they" hadn't changed and eliminated so many aspects of MC that I wouldn't need to be here asking these questions.

Thanks.

quote:

Why do I have to go to "Analyze" now to change a color and how do I cahange multiple entities QUICKY and EASILY??

You don't, you can access it by preselecting the things you want to change and right clicking on color on the bottom of the screen. You could also add this function to you RMB and have it handy right there. You could add it to a custom toolbar at the top. Where you want it is up to you.

quote:

Why can't I renumber an existing NC file? (It never fails, I always add something AFTER I post the job.)

If you still want to use Cimco this is doable, I don't use the MC editor so I cannot speak to that. I'm sure somebody else will.

quote:

Why do I need to open the editor to communicate with my machine? How do I open the editor from MCX?

setting >> configuration >> start/exit, you can set your default editor there

Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck

cheers.gif

quote:

Will hopefully find mucho help here, but feel that if "they" hadn't changed and eliminated so many aspects of MC that I wouldn't need to be here asking these questions.

Changed I'll give you. There are too many changes to count.

Eliminated ? I can't think of a single thing I am missing. There were lots of things I couldn't find but every feature I can think of is in there somewhere. Just keep asking. You'll find them all.

Thanks to those with the quick and helpful replies.

As far as being "Randle XX Jr.", please do not compare me to someone I don't know. I did say "frustration" and tried not to resort to some kind of knee-jerk sophomoric terminology. Once I'm familiar with y'all, you can bust my onions all day long. Just bear with me for a bit as I'm sure almost everyone who went from 9 to X didn't exactly have a seamless transition. This thread just happened to be eye-catching when I did my first search and looked like an interesting place to add my first 2-1/2 cents.

Elvis has left the building...........

quote:

In the mastercam Editer under NC Funcations you can renumber if you are running te latest release being at least SP2 or MR1

quote:

This was answerd correct. Right click easer then before.

quote:

Under Settings / Customize go to "File" and there is a Communications Icon.

Remember to ask here we will do our best to help.

We are all learning were all the tools are and how some of the new cool fetures work.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks Jay, jmparis, Matt, Todd...

I did not know about the right-click customization(wasn't covered in my "training"). Will now use and abuse it.

As far as "class" goes, I've never been accused of having much and after reading four or five dozen threads BEFORE posting, didn't feel it was a prerequisite here, sorry. I don't actually think X sucks, was just looking for others who were equally frustrated with the changes. an "X-SUCKS" thread couldn't have been much more obvious.

My thought is that we're here to help each other and if/when I can find some new info, I'll be glad to pass it along as opposed to just lurking and sucking the well of information dry. I'm new to this board, but the turnip truck passed by a while ago. wink.gif

Thanks again......

Steve

Well Steven I think alot of people share your ideas. The thing is there is alot in X now and you are correct most of us are here to help each other. I along with others got involved some time ago with X and from what it was to where it is is becuase of people like James, Terry, Jay and so many others who did Beta testing. Mastercam was stuck in a rock and hard place and they has to shelf some very important projects like MATTS to get X out the door. The whole thing (though I think you will find anyone there that will admit is openly) has been a big learning curve for them as well. I like X and if you see I keep pushing the mulitmedia page. The highspeed toolpaths offer so much now that if you are still only using the old toolpaths you are goingot be kicking yourself once you use them, but if noone is using them and giving them a workout then they complain there is nothing new and think this new stuff is just going to flow well that is just crazy talk. I liek the fact they support tollholders now with a customize-able spread sheet for the tool holders. I like the ability to add radius transitions and other thing this offers. I do have some complaints about things that I would like to seen handled different but I sent those directly to CNC and posted them in the BETA forum. X is what it is and is what it is going to be different. As with any new challege in life we either imbrase it, we move it to the side for later, or we watch it pass us by. I have had computer issues to the extreme that they are willing to give me a loaner to solve my problems to bad I do restrised defense work or I would. They care and they want a good product but liek anything(THIS POINT ALOT OF PEOPLE FORGET)they are human just like everyone else and going to miss things, make mistakes or just cant not do the impossible without the proper time. I ask my guys all the time find me solutions and then we can fix the problems. Can we fix them with this no, but maybe if we point them out and show them then it get every step closer to being a better more stable product that keep the X scusk from poppping up.

Just me 2 cents worth.

X is a different transition... I'm also a SolidWorks user and I like learning new things, It's just sometimes my Downs Syndrome get in teh way. I've learned to humble myself. Cause a lot of these veteran MC users can do circles around me.

Actually teh X transition was and is taking a lot of work. especially when there are parts to be expiditied. Some of my collegues are'nt taking the transition so well. We are sometimes under a lot of pressure to build these molds. Hey I can difinitly do a lot more stuff in V9. That is until I learn a lot more in X. I know X has the capabilties. I hear your frustration sometimes....

I get paid when the molds are finished and making parts in Production. I don't get paid to sit a learn MC. That makes it even harder on me. I wounldn't publically bash MC their programmers and their years of knowledge, Then go ask for their help, If you don't like something, stick with it, use another software. Every here is on the same side.

I guess I could go home work on practicing it there. After doing this stuff all day. Another computer is the last thing I want to work on. I think Steve said it well. This is the first year of MC X and it should only get better from here! Jay's a good guy. I know he means well, After all, the're only here to help! biggrin.gif

[ 02-11-2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: chip ]