Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

should we update to X now?

Elad

Load it side by side with 9.

Then make sure your posts translate to X correctly and verify that they output the nc you need. My lathe post which worked perfect in 9 did not perform well in X and I was told it would take major mods by CNC (I guess it was an old post). I went ahead and used mplfanuc X and edited it to my needs so that I would have a modern post. Took many hours but seems to work good.

Migrate your tools and make sure the are correct. Lathe tools translate ok but the coolant will be off on every single tool and you will have to manually turn coolant on one tool at a time. (took me lots of time, lots of tools.)

Once all is perfect then use X.

You will like it better after you learn it. For me after 7, 8, 9, it was a big learning curve, but you will like it better eventually.

And, yes, keep 9 in the shadows in case you get in a pinch.

Good luck,

I told Elad what I think about it - I will migrate

only when I will be not able to continue in ver9 .

I still don`t need it (may be in 5 axes or high speed machining ) but in most of our cases which are general machining I am super fast and extra comfortable with ver9 .

I bet noone will show me the speed of work close to ver9 in parts of middle complexity up too 200 toolopathes .

Still X lacks lot of functionality and have lots of bugs

quote:

Like what Murlin? can you give an example of certain thinks.

Well Jay,

I have had alot of issues with scanned in surface models. Toolpaths take forever and a day to crunch in X.

9 breezes right thru them.

Some toolpaths gouge in X when they will not in 9 at all....on same said model.

I keep it around for when I am having trouble like this.

Sometimes I don't have the time to waste a few hrs trying to get things to work right in X....

Like I said I keep it for the small % of the time X gets my A$$ in a crack wink.gif

The files are laser scanned off point cloud data that comes from various sources. Sometimes even the customer doen not know where the files come from. Probably been translated so many times.....

Most of it is rock bit mining stuff that are nothing but complex blending coons....hardly any strait walls on them at all.

It has been scanned off a plaster cast or even a forged part and turned into a solid.

quote:

Geomagic Studio to convert to surfaces

lucky you biggrin.gifcheers.gif

phone rings....."Oh sure I can do that is a day easy".......meanwhile 2 and a half days later.....phone rings.....

Been in that scenerio too many times to delete 9 just yet wink.gif

Don't get me wrong....I love X now.

Now being the key word....