Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Design Software

chowquoe^

It really depends on what your industry application is to decide on a design software. At Timken on the automotive side we use ProEngineer Wildfire 3.0 - ProE is really good for tool design (progressive, complex die assemblies, etc.) Catia does the best job at the surface creation but you'll pay big for it. If you're looking for a great general design package you really can't beat Solidworks, they do a pretty good job at everything. I feel your pain with UG, we are in the process of switching and I'm here to tell you I hate it.

HTH

We use use PRO/E here for both design and manufacturing, and in fact, it is a great CAD tool. But it´s very complex to be used, I mean, the learning curve it is not short, at all. I wonder if is a good tool for nurbs surfaces, human surgical implants and such. What is your opinion Joshua?

Neil, watcher.

We currently have about 17 seats of UG, we are looking to get that number down as the maint. fees are a tad salty. We want to find something that more "Engineers" will have less trouble adapting to. Say MCAM and Solidworks for example. We will still keep/use a few seats as that is the preferred platform for our customers. We do not do much design on product but rather fixturing and CAM in my department, so UG is a bit of overkill, if you know what I mean. Thanks for all the responses so far, would be great to hear more from all.

Hi Chris!

I know exactly what you mean. Moving to another high-end system will be costly as well, since the maintence fees for such systems are in the same level. As a PRO/E admin here, I know how expensive it is. If UG it´s not a must for you, then I agree that you should get a rid of it. Soldiworks maintenance is not cheap as well, so that I would try something "not so famous" as Solidworks, at least for a kick-off. Of course you don´t need to buy a new system to test it, so call a Rhino reseller and ask him to model some of your parts. I´m mentioning Rhino because it´s is a very powerful software for complex surfacing. But there are others. But if you need a CAD system for advanced assembly, assembly detailing and shop-floor documentation, then forget Rhino. In the past (when I worked with it), Solidworks used to be handicapped concerning surface modeling, so that I would test it carefully before made a decision. But honestly I could not say if today it is a bad/good surface modeler.

JM2C

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a seat of MCAM, get a DEMO of MoldPlus with electrode.

It makes this process extremely quick and straight forward.

Your local MCAM reseller should be able to get you set up with it