Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SurfCam ??

Robert Barton

We have a new 5 axis machine and now we need to start programing 5 axis toolpaths, which would mean at least an upgrade from our current MasterCam Level 1 OR we could go to another platform, like SurfCam ... actually SurfCam is the only other software we've looked at and from what I've seen SurfCam seem better at 5 axis stuff than MasterCam X2.

I really like SurfCams TrueMill ... any thoughts ?? Should we stay with MasterCam or go to SurfCam for the 5 axis stuff ??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Surfcam for 5 years prior to my current job (last 4 years). I liked Surfcam, but I equally like Mastercam. Mastercam has a great multi axis package. Also I think there are more third-party add-ons for Mastercam. Add-ons like Caimax 5x or Cimco-hsm.

As far as TrueMill, we have the Cimco-hsm pack for Mastercam. http://www.cimco-hsm.com/

They have several toolpaths called adaptive roughing. They are almost identical to Truemill and the price is very reasonable. If Truemill is a big reason you are thinking of switching, try the 30 day demo from Cimco. It runs in Mastercam as a Chook. You will be able to make toolpaths within minutes of intallins. In fact Challenge your local Surfcam dealer to compete against the Cimco demo.

I will be honest, when X first came out I was very disappointed and actually got a trial of Surfcam. We were considering switching. We decided to stick it out with Mastercam, and I can say that I am glad we did. X2 is now a great product. We have since then purchased 2 more seats of Mastercam.

I used Surfcam for about 7 years, doing a lot of 5 axis work. Unless things have changed dramatically in the past year, I thought it sucked. It had no gouge avoidance. It didn't allow for containment, so if tool needed to go near an adjacent wall you would have to break the surface back at least the radius or it would gouge because it always cut to the center of the cutter. It sort of had multi-surface for 5 axis cuts but it worked like crap. First you would have to program a 3 axis cut then convert it to a 5 axis. It left a very poor surface quality. Be careful of those canned demos they use, they can be pretty deceiving. I can't tell you how well Mastercam works with 5 axis, I only do 3 axis stuff at my new job. I'm sure other guys will though. But thats just my experience with Surfcam. Good Luck with your choice.

No personal experience with Surfcam.

I used to work with a guy who was a Surfcam

tech support guy for a local dealer. He said

X2 has it all over Surfcam.

If you really can't live without Truemill

check this link out.

Two ex Surfcam guys offering "Truemill for Mastercam"

quote:

What heck is a Hardees sir?

Mr Cadcam,

Hardees is a fast food restaurant chain. Similar to a Carls Jr, which I believe is out your way. In fact if you check their websites they have the same logo, probably owned by the same parent company.

I am a daily surfcam programmer for the past 4 years, full seat of velocity 3 mait up, and very versed with it, I would be way more happy with Version 8 Mastercam any day, surfcam has 3 strong points over mcam IMO, 1 i build thermoforming molds nothing to have 3000 holes on the back of block at differant depthes, when importing a sldprt from solidworks it gives you an option to add centerpoints and center lines to arcs, and Surfcam has a very solid drill on centerline option, also work cooridinat creation could not be easier, and its 2D truemill is outstanding, 3D WEAK. Anyhow As a former Mastercammer from V6 to beta X I do not put these softwares on the same level, Surfcam may help me pay my bills but I have it a notch up from BobCam. In an unbiased opinion, a strong 5ax software that could be considered is espirit. However from someone who is versed in 3 to 4 Cam softwares meaning I am comfy behind 4 differant including Mcam, Surfcam, Cimatron, and Smartcam, and a little edgecam, Mastercam #4# is the whole package, from 2ax to 5ax it is the best.