Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SurfCam ??

Robert Barton

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I personally have not seen Surfcam do anything that Mastercam cannot do and do it at least as well - thenagain I don;t get out much so... biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif That used to be a valid arguement (that Surfcam was better at 5-Axis)... back in Version 7, but we're better than 10 years away from that stuff now. The CIMCO-HSM package add-on makes the True-Path argument moot. CAMAIX has an add-on for 5-Axis Toolpaths if MC does not have what you need.

If you already have Mastercam, it would be an economically poor decision to go that route for a couple of reasons. Let's say for arguement's sake that Surfcam is a little better at 5-Axis. Is it so much better that investing another $20k + an adversarial maintenence policy, plus learning a new CAM system, is it really that much better? I have SERIOUS doubts that it is. In all honesty, your boss is going to be writng off $100k+ (in lost productivity, cost of training, cost of new software, etc...) for your and other programmers to get proficient. That's a big hit.

JM2C

We were looking at a 5 axis Micron machine and the application guys there were using Mastercam and Powermill by Delcam. Over all he liked Mcam as a complete package, but preferred Powermill to do complex 5 axis work. i checked into powermill and the demo is pretty cool but then again aren't they all. I didn't play around with the demo disk much.. but just giving you an alternative.

quote:

Would the HOOPS graphics engine make it better?

Possibly... it would also make it cost more.

Personally I have no issues with Mastercam graphics.

If you are running a decent video card and a good monitor Mastercam graphics are just fine.

Maybe someone needs to adujust their resolution, I didnt know people needed realistic renderings to machine, Mcam kicks the crap outta my surfcam and I think it looks good, Not like my solidworks of course but......... If it aint broke and it cuts parts well there you go.

quote:

JB 4.0 ???

Of course there is no way to know for sure but it is a dubious way for a noobie, especially on the subject matter to interject himself into a thread.

Perhaps it's time for a TOS change.

Anonymous proxy = gone, no sim check, nothing.

My guess is the IP was used to be able to track things "if" needed. You then had an address.

I know webby doesn't want to have to start policing the forum at that level but.....

what to do??