Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X-3

ATG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what did I get gong on this one.

The problem with software is all the conflicts between drivers, graphics ect. There are so many variables with systems, installed software configurations it would be almost impossible to simulate what everyone is running. So there is a bit of a difference. These fixes take time. I would agree that all issues should be addressed and resolved, but I don’t think that you can stop developing new functionality. I too am a lathe user and I can’t wait Intel all the current issues are addressed, but I use it everyday and it does what I need it to.

You think you have issues now ------ Dell and others can no longer sell you XP on a new system. Think you have issues now ------ try high end programming on Vista. Blame Mastercam for that too???? Don't think so.

JM2C

I've got 3 copies of XP sitting on the shelf for building new boxes or replacing Vista if required.

main·te·nance

–noun

1. the act of maintaining.

2. the state of being maintained:

3. care or upkeep, as of machinery or property:

4. means of upkeep, support, or subsistence;

5. alimony or child support.

6. Law. an officious meddling in a suit in which the meddler has no interest, by assisting either party with means to prosecute or defend it.

–adjective

I agree with ToolMan when you pay $***** for a

CD and have to pay a yearly "maintenance", it should be 100% working, and if not they should fix it. They developed the software they know what it takes to fix the problem, not make new stuff. As far as apples and oranges, when you buy a new car and the A/C doesn't work, when the service dept tells you "Learn it, live it and get over it", I'll be buying another car from someone else.

Vista...

Think you have issues now ------ try high end programming on Vista. Blame Mastercam for that too???? ....> YES

Mastercam System Requirements

Processor: 1.5 GHz 32-bit Intel®-compatible processor. 64-bit Intel®-compatible processors are supported.

Operating System: Windows XP® (preferred), Windows Vista® (Business or Ultimate), or Windows 2000®, including the latest service packs and recommended updates. NET 2.0 framework.

1.How many computers run Windows OS..Just about all of them. Including Vista.

2.Does Mastercam support other OS's -- NO

3.Maybe they should be tryin to get MC to run on Vista first instead of working on X3

edited to remove cost

[ 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

quote:

t should be 100% working,

Well, you can of course ALWAYS go buy another system.

However, while you may not deal with the same issues you WILL deal with bugs none the less. Then of course when they either don't fix them because there are viable workarounds or it is low priority or they fix it and at a later time break something else, you can of course ALWAYS move on again and incur some more cost and training time.

Sounds like a great plan and a place I would never want to work.

Bottom, line can you get your job done.

The simple answer is yes.

again and again the car analogy no matter how hard you try does NOT apply.

Sorry Toolman but if you can not wrap your mind around the fundamental design differences between software and a single use design piece of hardware, there's not much I can do help you out.

Good luck and have a nice day

cheers.gif

quote:

Well, you can of course ALWAYS go buy another system.

Like I said before, If you buy a car and your not happy with it you can at least sell it to recover some of your costs towards your new car. If you actually owned the software you pay for and you could sell it to recover your costs you could compare it to buying a car, but the fact is that you "buy" software and you are stuck with it unless you are willing to accept losing all of the money you have into it.

Never mind that Doug, that's ancillary.

The design and use.

A car designed for one use, to function ONE WAY on ONE PLATFORM, with one SET OF HARDWARE OPTIONS.

Software can be implemented MANY different ways on different platforms at different points in update times and used different ways in different manners.

If you are driving 55 down the highway and put the car into reverse, I wonder if that would be considered a bug?

headscratch.gif

Shouldn't THAT work too, the function is there, it is available.

Every vehicle ever made has a fundamental bug, I can't put it into reverse while driving.

As I read through this AGAIN, I think I need to clarify something.

You guys keep coming up with this notion of "bug free" software, that is never going to happen, it's the nature of software writing.

Now, here's the clarification.

If something is broken, it SHOULD be fixed without doubt. Then you have, What is the definition of broken?

All software companies that I have dealt with, to include Surfware, UGS, CNC, Solidworks and others, if the feature is broken AND there is a viable work around, the bug generally fell to the lowest priority. With UGS especially, it became a running joke if you submitted a bug and you already had figured out a work around, THAT became the answer. So we stopped submitting work arounds to try to pry some action.

broken and work around, those are what drive software developers not just CNC, all of them.

So if something is truly broken, should it be fixed, ABSOLUTELY

There are several that certainly should have long ago been addressed. I won't go into them, they are well known.

I understand software will never be bug free, do you?

I understand that a viable workaround will likely delay the fix, do you?

You're right John. There is no such thing as bug free software. But, what about the High Speed toolpaths that were not right in ver X. I got so frustrated with them not working I gave up. I paid for that functionality but never got to use it.

What about the tool numbers that change if you copy from group to group in lathe. That'll crash yur hunert grand machine. I haven't seen THAT get fixed....

I think Toolman is talking about functionality that we all paid for but can not use because it does not work.

Here is an example of the (unfortunate) lathe saga. The steady rest defintiion in X2 MR2 SP1 doesn't work. At all. You try to define a steady rest, and it just doesn't work.

Apparently, there is a C-hook, that you have to ask your reseller for. Why wasn't/isn't it available on Mastercam, as a download? It is a fix for a bug, but it isn't readily available?

Two of my programmers have been struggling along, adding in steady moves, when it could have been part of the MCX file.

Sorry, just my little gripe. On this count, I would have expected better from CNC Software.

Oh, and the steady rest function works in X3 tongue.gif

I got a bug for you does not function like it should. You go to renumber a program and it does not go to the dialog box you have to click on it. Do this for change program name it does do this, but not program number. So this is really a bug right do not function like other things that are similar. So if it take the program 20 hours to get that little thing fixed so it can be 100% bug free is that really worth their time or is getting something like MMT more important use of their time. Look I am not very happy about MMT and think that is well enough known, but I can make my parts and I can get my job done. Not sometimes easy, but I remember having 120 hours on a pencil and paper program to only found out I messed up an have to restart so for having anything I am grateful. X3 will be coming out and we will have one sim upgrade to it, we have one that will not for now. Maybe down the road, by I learned something a long time ago. You let your money not spent do your talking, and our money not spent may not be much, but if 100 or 1000 companies decided not to renew maintenance until MMT is out like we have done I promise you it would get as much attention as FBM, ART, and Router are getting. wink.gifwink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...If you are driving 55 down the highway and put the car into reverse, I wonder if that would be considered a bug?

Next time I rent a car I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works out. eek.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

quote:

I think Toolman is talking about functionality that we all paid for but can not use because it does not work.

Thats exactly what Im talking about. Its frustrating as hell. Is there going to be some bugs? YES But, one would think that if you have the same bugs 3 or 4 releases later something needs to be done.

Ron,

I agree with you 100 percent. I did the exact same thing. I have 4 seats, but recently only renewed the maintenace for two of them because I have not seen any real added functionality. My reseller seemed very surprised I would do such a thing. If everybody would voice their concerns with their money i bet it would get their attention. bs.gif

Maybe not Craig, It gives me money to put away for something else that does have the functions and abilities that I need. Someone will get the money and it may or may not be CNC software. Other companies are seeing the needs and have stepped up to the plate to offer things that may or may not be in the works at CNC that are out now and have been out with others for a long time. We are a growing company looking to expand or capabilities and abilities do not need to be handicapped by our CAM software any further than we are. It can do many things and I have done some pretty cool things with Mastercam, but at some great expenses to do it. This is something that has to change and I will need a viable solution to achieve that goal. If what comes out does not really do what we am after then we will cross the bridge of new software for CAM or the bridge of verification software and just keep using what we have. Then that money not spent on nothing in improvements for lathe will be used in the better place. If it finally gets to MMT and as you say they still get our money then it will finally be money well spent.