Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool stuck in spindle

CNC-ERIC

Hi there,

can anyone please tell me how to release a tool stuck in spindle?

our machine is HAAS VF2, after 1 hour running with coolant on, the tool was just stuck in the spindle. in MDI mode, I could not release the tool while I pressd the tool release button, just heard air puffing. I checked the air pressure was 95 psi. it was good.

thanks very much

Eric

Scott,

you are right, I climb cut with slitting saw for slot. the saw is 4.5" diameter with 3/32" face, slot depth is 1.47", one cut at 300 rpm feed 4.1 IPM on Al t6061. seldom use slitting saw, not sure the RPM or FEED was properly set. but sound scared.

can anyone please point me the right direction?

thanks very much

Eric

I would NOT personally hit with a Hammer...I put a block of wood under the stuck tool (apx.1 inch clearance), then while pressing the release button I pry between stuck tool and machine with a die-bar and tool will pop out....unless its REALLY stuck, then I use a bearing puller from harbor frieght ( the kind that uses a wedge action "behind" the bearing) and put it between the stuck holder and machine spindle. Just what I do. i suspect if I have tightened the snot out of bearing puller and it still has not released I would give a light tap with the hammer , just like I would with a bearing puller on a motorcyle flywheel, except I would try to hit both sides of the wedge puller at the same time with 2 hammers...block of wood under contraption.. Have someone else push tool release button while doing. biggrin.gif

When we have a tool stuck in our Haas we get someone with a deadblow hammer and while one person presses the tool release button the other hits the toolholder on the side to get it to release. We place a box filled about half way with rags under the toolholder, so that when it pops out it has a soft place to land.

• Like 1

We had our Haas repairman in here Tuesday about this same issue.

1. He put clump of red grease on top of the pull stud then clamped and released the tool several times. Then put another clump of grease in same place and clamped and released several times again. He said there are rollers that need it on the ends of the draw bar.

2. He put a collet holder without cutter into the spindle then moved the bottom (collett nut) down over the flat of a vice about 1/8 above the vice then clamped and released tool without touching it by hand. This indicated that the draw bar was adjusted properly.

3. He checked to see that the pull stud was not torqued in really hard, but just tightened snuggly. The tool holder should make contact near the top and bottom of the taper. If it contacts in the middle, the stud is too tight and the tool holder will rock on the high spot.

4. He said the taper, both spindle and tool holder need to have fine scratches on them, like you get with fine ScotchBrite.

5. He said dont use any lube at all, run dry. He also said 2 of our 3 machines had a draw bar mechanism made for coolant through the stud and tool holder and said they have a stronger pull.

That's his story and he's sticking to it.

We had a a Hass which ripped the tool carousel off the mountings because of this problem.

We started using a dry lube spray recommended by our techs,the name escapes me at the moment.

End of problem. And it helped protect the taper on stored holders.

Pull stud torque as mentioned above is also important. Its surprisingly easy to deform the taper on the holder, especially 40 taper

Cheers

Nick

thank you all for the inputs.

finally, I got it out. I tapped around the holder with a brass bar. then repeated pressing release button, it worked.

I did some experiment today. looked that WD-40 make it worse. more easily get stuck. rapid tap oil worked best.

thanks again

Eric

I used to run a couple of Hass VMC's and tools sticking in the spindle was a near daily occurance.

The causes were heavy cuts, prolonged

toolpaths at high spindle RPM's and driving

large drills.

Getting them out was pretty simple.

We kept a 1" x 12" brass bar at each machine.

One guy would hold the tool in his left hand

while tapping it with the brass bar.

A second guy would cycle the tool release button. A light tap, metal on metal works great

while a heavy hit with a deadblow hammer did nothing.

There are things you can do to prevent it.

High quality tool holders help.

Keeping the spindle clean helps too.

Every morning I'd run the spindle at low rpm

and stroke the spindle with a shop rag soaked in WD-40.

You'd be amazed at how much crud builds up in a spindle.

I also cleaned each toolholder and gave it a shot

of spray-on lubricating oil.

I also cranked the toolchange pressure regulator to the high end of the specs.

All this helped, but never stopped it.

After all.. a Haas is a Haas.

We have tools stick all the time. Mainly because of heat from running to long or to heavy cut. From what I have herd the spindle oil needs to be flushed out because it make extra friction on the bearings and makes the spindle hot if the there is a bunch of excessive oil.

We have found that using a grey scotch bright pad, then cleaning with IPA, then adding a thin film of LANO lube, they will stay stick free for a good period of time. If your coolant doesn’t shut off and floods the taper, then the LANO lube won’t last as long.

Anyway this works for us.