Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Bowling for Columbine

Müřlıń®

Wally, that's a 50 cal Barret. That one's not mine, (dang-it), it's my step-dad's. I've been told it's good for a couple thousand yards.

I don't have anything that big. Half a dozen peestools and a dozen or so rifles of different flavors.

My wife absolutely LOVES shooting. She can own me in skeet, and keeps up with me at distance/accuracy shooting. She is almost as accurate with an AR without a scope as I am with an M1A 308 Scout WITH a scope at 150 yards.

'Rekd teh Click, Click, BOOM!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rekd, that sure is a nice piece. The biggest piece I own is my M-14 from Viet Nam. I have a 1000 yard night vision scope mounted on it. That was a trick getting it home.

If you shoot at a distance - try taking off your belt and putting it around a small tree, loosely. Put the barrel of gun, face down, into the belt. As you swing the stock down to fit the shoulder the belt will tighten. Makes for a very stable shot.

I generally shoot 750-1000 yards. I love it. But, that picture is very impressive. Thanks for sharing it cool.gif

Charles, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I support the right of people to own weapons and to use them for sport or self-defense, and I admire guns as pieces of precision craftsmanship. I think that censorship of ideas is bad, whether it's talking about guns or talking about birth control. I also think Hollywood's glorification of violence (of which Arnold has played a hand, BTW) must carry some blame, but what can be done about it that is not censorship?

I hope we would all agree that there has to be some kind of a limit as to what kind of weapons one can buy, who should not be allowed to own them, and what weapons do or do not need to be registered. Obviously, missiles, bombs, RPGs, nuclear weapons, and chemical and biological weapons do not belong in the hands of the general public. Similarly, we probably don't want some guy with a prior violent felony conviction and ties to a hate group to have a stash of AK-47s (or 50 cal Barrets). But where do you draw the line? How do we define what is or is not allowable in the hands of the public? I don't have an answer, but I'd be interested in other's opinions.

[ 08-22-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lovelace ]

Like a lot of others I was taugh gun safety at a young age. My father took both my sisters and myself and showed us the in's and out's of firearms. He felt it was important that we knew and understood what guns do and how they work. The thing that is different is the fact that he has nevered own a gun his entire life. Although he never felt the need to own a gun he did think it was extremely important that all his childeren understood them. I'm like my dad, I don't have any disire to own a gun. But, my childeren will be instructed the same way I was. Knowledge is power and is the key to stoping acidents with guns.

My dad had a good point when we were talking about gun control a few weeks ago, he said "Takeing guns out of the hands of honest citizens only helps the crooks trying to rob you."

cheers.gif

ssibiski

The .50 cal BMG sniper rifle has an interesting story. The rifles were originally developed by American gun enthusiest as long range target rifles.

They developed them from the Browning .50 cal machinegun round which dates back to the 1920's.

There are private clubs all over the country who shoot them in competion at 1000 yards. The current world record is a 4" group at 1000 yards.

The rifles were so successful that the US military started using them as utlra long range

sniper rilfes in the mid 1980's.

I've read reports of a Canadian sniper team in Afganistan who rescued an ambushed Americam SF unit from over a mile away with a .50 cal rifle.

Naturally, here in Kalifornia, they are working to outlaw private ownership of .50 cal rifles.

[ 08-22-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

+1 Mark. It's a fine line to draw. IMNSHO, any felon should not be allowed a gun. Automatic guns should not be owned by the public either, as they only serve one purpose.

quote:

Grumbla, grumbla, perfect wife, grumbla.

Next thing, you'll be telling us she doesn't barf on boat rides.

Buahahaha, perfect is right.. She loves all the things I love; guns, knives, crotch-rockets, camping, surfing, music, desert, etc etc etc. That's why I've wanted her since she was in jr high school... > smile.gif

'Rekd teh she makes beautiful babies too!

:edit:

Oh, boats, you got me there.. When we went to Cancun last year, she barfed on the boat after we were diving. (She was preggie with Chantz, she claims that's why... rolleyes.gif )

:/edit:

[ 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Me shoots...

-P85 9mm, AR-15(w/legal pre-ban detachable clips), Mini-14(stainless rancher model w/pre-ban clips), 10-22 -the wifes gun of choice although I'm always the one stuffing the clips 'till I've got a lead colored dent on my thumb, and the dealiest one of 'em all, -Liberal Mother in law (w/full auto mouth)

Ok I lied, I've never shot the Mini-14. It's just too purdy...

quote:

I want an M1-A just for nostalgia. I must have shot 10,000 rounds of .308, and love the repeatability and power of that round.

It's a beautiful gun, shoots like a dream. Bought mine new a few years ago for under $1,500.00. Best gun I've purchased! My second favorite is the AR, also with pre-ban lower reciever. That one shoots nice as well, but seems a bit tempermental. I still have my first gun, a Remmington 22-250 bolt action that I used for deer hunting when I was a kid in Oregon. That's gonna be a hand-me-down for Chantz. biggrin.gif

'Rekd

Charles, next time we go to the range, I'll give you a call so you can play with mine if you like.

[ 08-22-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rekd.....Freaking totally awesum gun dude biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I would love to fire that thing.

About all I have left is a few 50 cal. muzzle loaders (one flintlock), and a single barrel 12 guage shotgun.

I could hit a small pie plate every time at 100 yards with my 50 cal Hawken using 55 grains of black powder and open sights.

4" groups with the ocassional flyer.

Never was worth a crap at skeet....heh

Murlin

Wally,

Congrats on the range record at Pendleton! I know what an accomplishment that is.

Sniper is a different thing. I was raised a City Boy and though I could drive nails at 600 yards, I couldn't hit a moving target and wouldn't last a day in the bush! Man's gotta know his limitations.

The M-14 is totally awesome. I heard stories of the M-16's in the maintenance batallion Jessica Lynch was part of jammed. You really have to keep those clean. You can take an M-14, drop it in the mud, totally abuse it, and at least it will fire. Also, it will knock on its a&& whatever it hits.

The .308 was good to at least 600 yds, and I've shot 1000 yds with it (that's pushing it... more like firing a mortar than a rifle!).

P.S. I saw a night fight with Marines shooting into a building during the war. Watching the tracers was like watching some kindof star wars laser. The fire was totally controlled, relentless, and spot on. Made me proud of what the guys do now; they are at least as good as we ever were.

We rented BFC tonight and I liked it. The North County Bank (the one that gives out guns with new accounts) are all over Northern Michigan and the UP. When I lived in Michigan, I opted for another bank. I wonder if I could've scored a free gun (not that I want/need one).

I had to laugh at the scene with the "Guns Galore" billboard sign, because I saw the exact same sign on I75 last weekend. I wanted to snap a picture of it, but as hard as the boss tried, she couldn't get the digicam ready in time. To me, that sign alone is scary and hilarious at the same time. I think I'm in the minority in this thread eek.gif

quote:

I heard stories of the M-16's in the maintenance batallion Jessica Lynch was part of jammed.

M16s suck. I don't think I've been out to qualify once without my weapon jamming on me. Luckily I never had to shoot mine in Desert Storm.

I was in a Maint. unit as well. The day the ground war started, we headed into Iraq. We, like the 507th, were a bunch of welders, mechanics, supply clerks, cooks, etc. Imagine our surprise when waking up the next morning, after being parked as a battalion convoy overnight(approx 300 vehicles 4 columns wide and a mile long) and seeing the Armored Cav roll in behind us. "Hey, aren't you guys supposed to be in front of us?" The story of the 507th hit home big time.

Thad

quote:

Bullines, can you describe the sign. I haven't seen the movie.

I saw the signs while on the good ol' Thump-Thump (aka I75) between Flint and Saginaw last weekend, both north and southbound. It was one those tall billboard signs that you can see from anywhere on the freeway (like the tall McDonald's and Amoco ones). It was yellow with "Guns Galore" in large print. It mentioned something like one of the largest gun showrooms in the world. Apparently, this is Guns Galore down in Fenton.

I am glad I decided to stay on the good side of Rekd!!

Too bad Ted Nugent isn't running for Gov. of CA.

He is a little, ok a lot extreme but his book God,

Guns and Rock and Roll makes a lot of good points.

I competition shoot M1 Garands at Camp Perry every summer, hunt whitetails with my trusty 30-06

blast woodchucks, squirrels, and rabbits with shotguns and my 4 year old daughter will know everything about every gun I own. Uneducated curiosity is about as dangerous as it gets. I

think I'm gonna have to sling some lead this weekend just because them damn liberals don't want

me too.

Kyle teh join the NRA if you're not a member!!

quote:

I think I'm gonna have to sling some lead this weekend just because them damn liberals don't want me too.

LOL.....

I want to shoot Rekd's gun biggrin.gif just one mag cool.gif

One of my friends just bought a 50 cal somethin like that. The scope cost as much as the rifle did....

If I had 14k to spend....I think would just build a Harley biggrin.gif

Murlin

quote:

M16s suck

+1 on that, as far as reliability goes

If the thing didn't jam continuously, they wouldn't beat the mantra for clearing it into your head at Parris Island, now would they? "Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Shoot to kill SIR"

More like "Slam the butt on the deck, Repeat"

I always liked looking into the receiver and seeing about three rounds all wedged into each other. Nothing says "I'm gonna die" like slamming the butt of your rifle on the ground while pulling like a demon on the charging handle trying to clear it.

Accuracy was pretty good, though.

I gotta laugh at the Army guys I know talking about 100 yards to qualify, I could throw the rifle at the target and hit it from there. Bring on the 500 yard line baby...

C

[ 08-23-2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Okay, I know that, politically, I'm at the opposite end of the shooting range from most of you here, but I just have to say that I think it's interesting/funny/scary that this thread has morphed into a 'mine's bigger' love fest for guns. I had to go back and reread the original post, just to make sure I was on the right thread! biggrin.gif

For a good vido to watch from Dillonprecison.com Dillon Video Firestorm in the Desert i have seen

parts of it in tv but the hole vido is better.

For couresty i took a consild {sp} gun permit class

and it was a real eye opener on what you can do

and what you cannot do.

and ps. they a good reloaling pres

[ 08-24-2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: MichaelJ ]