Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Bowling for Columbine

Müřlıń®

"Spain" report

A lot of teachers around here are from Spain

they teach English to Are Schools 50% hispanic

Population.

They tell me That Americans "Embrace Death" we Glorify it on the news in are movies etc.

BUT we Go crazy when we see Skin on T.V. etc.

Nudity will not be tolerated in the U.S.

Killing ,Not a problem though...

Also we are lazy and drive to anything farther

then 2 blocks away.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

We definitely have a double standard regarding violence in movies or TV. It amazes me that you can find an incredibly violent movie on TV, showing people getting their bodies ripped apart by bullets, but that they will censor the word '**** ' from it. Or they will cut a brief shot of nudity, while leaving in all the gore. Oh, and then they'll cut to a Victoria's Secret commercial which has more implicit sex than the shot they cut out. Go figure.

I remember seeing 'A Few Good Men' on TV, and in the big courtroom scene at the end, when Jack Nicholson gets up and yells "I'm gonna rip your f***ing head off!" they censored it to say "I'm gonna rip your freaking head off!" I guess the censors see nothing wrong with threatening to rip someone's head off, just so long as you don't say the dreaded F-word.

(edit) Wow! I just discovered that the Forum also censors the word '**** '!

[ 08-27-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lovelace ]

I think the Hilter, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao,

Saddam Hussien, etc would qualify as serial killers. Our home grown serial killers are pretty lightweight by comparison.

In Mexico, just south of the Texas border over

200 young women have been murdered in the last several years. You don't here much about it and

no one has been caught. If that were happening

in the US it would get wall to wall coverage around the globe.

South Africa, Columbia and Brazil have horrendous murder rates, but you hardly ever hear about that either.

There is a lot that's wroung with the US, but there is a whole lot more that is right.

In many parts of the world, I would be risking my life just writing this.

Today a man walked into a warehouse and shot and killed 6 people. CNN radio news reported that he had a lengthy arrest record.

John W. Hinckley Jr. is allowed to leave the mental hospital on his own reconnaissance. This is a man who attempted to assassinate the president of the United States.

A man abducted a young girl, raped her then hacked off both of her arms and left her to die. He got a short prison sentence for “attempted murder” He was released and he killed again.

Are the lunatics running the asylum? Lock ‘em up and throw away the key already. Why does it even require debate?

quote:

he's from Flint, MI

Wishful thinking I guess.

Clayton

A few hours later and CNN radio news got their minds right. I thought the first story sounded funny. I guess the boss heard them talking about the guys arrest record and put the squelch on it. Now they blame it on the easy access to a gun, no mention of his record now, it was just a matter of time. How about blaming this tragedy on this a-hole’s easy access to society? Once again, if the j***off was still sitting in a cell somewhere it couldn’t have happened. PERIOD…..

Aaaah what was I thinking? The obvious problem here is freedom, what we need is a whole lot less of it, that’ll solve it.

Good night all,

Clayton

+1 Clayton,

We're on the same page!!

If I'd do something unthinkable. I would expect to be locked up for life (or death). I just want the same expectation for the slimeballs that do it.

I don't think that's being unreasonable.

I agree---where's the debate?

It's time for someone to forget about the politics involved in this topic and step up to the plate. Honestly, I think G.W. is the closest we've had in a long time.

+1, Charles. I'm all for legalizing small-scale growing and posession of marijuana, and doubling/tripling/quadrupling the penalties for sale or distribution. If you wanna smoke it, go ahead. If you wanna push it, bye-bye! Don't clog up the courts and prisons with small fish.

Remember: If bongs are outlawed, only criminals will have bongs! biggrin.gif

quote:

+1, Charles. I'm all for legalizing small-scale growing and posession of marijuana, and doubling/tripling/quadrupling the penalties for sale or distribution. If you wanna smoke it, go ahead. If you wanna push it, bye-bye! Don't clog up the courts and prisons with small fish.

That's how it is in this country now. For possession of less than 10 grams of marijuana (less than 15 in Toronto because the T-Dot is special, I guess), you get a $150 fine ($100 if you're under 18 years old), but nothing goes on your criminal record. It's like a speeding ticket. I found a better explaination here.

All,

quote:

Hear about that priest convicted of child molestation?

Yeah finally got what he deserved. What I wonder about is how many others should be getting the same treatment and don't because of our screwed-up justice system. If you can call it that.

Seems to me it's all for the scumbags not the good decent folks.

The other part of this hijacked thread biggrin.gif

As far as legal in Canada goes, it's not helping the real problem. If you allow possession but not cultivation you have nothing more than Government sanctioned smoking. In the meantime the BLACK MARKET continues to thrive and all that goes with it. The smarter solution is to allow for small quantity production at home and/or government sponsored smoking/growing shops that TAX the people that want to smoke. That to me is the far smarter solution in the long run. You don't have to read much history to know that prohibition of anything doesn't work very long as us Humans can and will find a way around it.

jm2c

quote:

Hear about that priest convicted of child molestation? Got murdered in his cell.

I might be climbing out on a limb here, but I will wager he won’t molest any more children. Who said the death penalty doesn’t prevent crime?

Do I sound cold when I say that even if rehabilitation were 100% successful I would still like to see criminals thrown in jail for a long time?

quote:

I agree---where's the debate?

That’s exactly my point, why is debate even necessary. If something is debatable there must be opposition to it, otherwise its not debate its consensus. How can anyone other than a criminal debate the value of incarceration? Its like debating weather the world is round or flat. The jury is in, its time to do what needs doin’.

Have a nice holiday,

Clayton

I'm with you, Crazy. I've always said that anyone who touched my wife or my kids wouldn't make it to a trial.

quote:

Maybe the guy who off'd him can be given credit for good behavior

Actually, the guy who strangled and stomped Fr. Geoghan is a real scumbag who basically tortured a guy to death to get into the can in the first place. At least he did us a favor here...

C

Anyone see the movie "Escape from New York " with Kurt Russell??

Thats what I think they should do to people who murder, rape, ect.

Only thing is, some of the guys who get convicetd of murder are innocent.

As far as putting people in jail for using drugs,

they arent hurting anyone but themselves.

I don't consider them criminals.

I think our justice system could use a complete overhaul..............they should NEVER let someone out of jail EVER if they have killed, mutilated, ect.

But the way it is today, if you steal a bunch of money at gunpoint, your going to jail for life.

If you kill 20 people, you out in a few years.

"kill me but don't take my money"

Blah..........somethin is all screwed up......

Murlin

I beg do differ with the consensus regarding Fr. Geoghan. I believe he was convicted criminal and was required to serve 8~9 years on that conviction alone.

Here is my spin on the topic:

The male child victim was a ten year old. Fr. Geoghan touched or fondled his buttocks.

Let say the child has a brother and sister - they must have also gone through a police interrogation, or maybe they have a fear of men or men of the clergy. Do you see what I am getting at here? The brother and sister are also victims of this crime.

What of the parents? Can you imagine the guilt they must feel for trusting the priest and failing to shield their child from such a horrid experience? The parents are also victims of this crime. One direct victim plus four indirect victims, this is what I view this as.

Perhaps I'm the one who has a screwed-up view of this. I just cannot look upon it as black and white or within the thinking box.

Face it, we would all go primal if anybody hurt our family, children, or grandchildren - sort of like a bear protecting her cubs, we would most likely go animalistic in a most primitive state of being, or alternately, we might become slow, cool, and collected just before we pulled the trigger on the shotgun.

Now let’s take a look at the criminal protection argument while he was held in Protective custody.

Fr. Geoghan was convicted of one sexual assault - there were 130 additional alleged child victims that will not have their day in court. 130 additional alleged child victims that will not arrive at a minimal financial settlement. If there are 130 direct victims there could well be 500 or so indirect victims as well. How about the church member victimization at all of the different congregations? In a round about way, I believe the only justice here is the fact that these children have been spared the horrible fate of testifying in court. The injustice is they will go through life with perhaps many fears and complications - who really knows about such things?

I believe the opposite of justice has occurred here today. I suspect the jailer knew exactly what he was doing while he was obviously looking the other way. I believe this person to belong on the other side of the very bars that he was paid to protect and guard and that we as people have been victimized and cheated of the very justice we seek. Illegally allowing the killing of a criminal holds as barbaric sense to me.

This is no longer a consensus but a different viewpoint on a very sensitive issue.

My apologies to the victims if I have misstated any facts in this argument – I am going from memory and the usual stuff regularly featured on CNN.

Regards, Jack