Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Bowling for Columbine

Müřlıń®

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Micheal Moore recieved an Acadamy Award for

best documentary for "Bowling for Columbine"

He freely admits there are lies, distortions and staged scenes and says it was meant to be satire.

I was seriously offended by his rant at the awards ceremony.I haven't seen BFC and never will. I don't want the slimeball to ever get a single dime of my money.

I grew up in foriegn lands where a mouth like his

would get you put against a wall. That's what's

so good about this country. He's got the right

to talk his ignorant trash and I've got the right to ignore him.

I just purchased and viewed this tonight – imagine my surprise when I logged on tonight considering this very thread topic. biggrin.gif

Yes Murlin, I also agree that this is scary stuff. A very impressive result from the shot up surviving kids that convinced Walmart to not only stop selling 9mm bullets, but all bullets.

Another interesting tidbit was the suggestion that there are seven million guns in Canada; he does have a point stating that two people were shot and killed here last year as opposed to over 11 thousand in the US.

An amazing opener with such banking incentives. Where is this bank? and what community would promote this type of business practice?

I found this documentary to be rather informative and an eye opener, to say the least.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Jack,

Many banks in the Western US do this.

Put $15K in a ten year CD and they'll give you the interest up front as a high end hunting rifle. It never looked like a very good deal to me. If you want a $1200 Wheatherby, you're much better off to just go out and buy it. You don't see this much here in Southern California, and probably not much anywhere now that interest rates are so low.

My dad worked for Lockheed, I owned lots of guns,

and So far, I havent shot and killed anyone.

I have to ask where were the parents of all these kids who commit these terrible acts.

It makes me sad to see all the death and chaos that goes on in the world.

That little boy who shot that poor girl, he had to get the idea somewhere to use that gun.

And where were the parent's when those Columbine kids were building all those bombs and stuff.

I grew up never having to lock my doors. Still don't and I live in a small town about 25 min from a major city.

I refuse to live in fear. I don't sleep with a gun under my pillow either.

Where are the parents??

Where are the parents??

Murlin

murlin, you are absolutly correct. i was rised and TAUGHT to respect fire arms. After three tours in Viet Nam I raised 7 children the same way. 2 are still in the service. One daughter flys the CH-47 and my oldest son is a first sargent in the Delta force. They have learned to defend our country and love ALL americans. You are correct - where were the parents ?????

I am a parent.

I will own up to anything my kids do.(As I wrote that I was thinking I will own up to the good things they do.) I tell them every morning" make it a great day". I talk to them all the time, I try to coach them on how to "do the most right thing".

When I was 13 I belonged to "Lock Stock & Barrel"

A mussle loading gun club,we wore buckskins, and we did mountan man competions of all kinds. It was good clean fun.

My son is 13 now.He was talking to one of his freinds at school that was going camping with his dad. The boy talked about sleeping outside,lighting the camp fire,shooting his new pellet gun,-----The boys got ratted out for having a gun conversation, and got sent to the office ----I was called down to the School.I couldn't beleive it, the schools postion was that the boys were not allowed to talk about guns of any kind at all for any reason,,,Bad Boys,, Bad Boys,, whatchya gonna do--

Where are the parents??

Yea-- Where are the parents, just exactly who's parents are you lookig for? Mine?

I grew up in foriegn lands where a mouth like his would get you put against a wall.

I would’ve thought you were talking about Rush! People like Limbaugh criticize liberals yet they make huge profits glorifying their supposed failings (Sorry, KJS; I couldn’t resist applying the same logic to the opposition.) biggrin.gif

I found this movie very thought-provoking and, at times, humorous, but that doesn’t mean I’ll take everything Mr. Moore puts out as pure fact. He’s like the Fox News version of a documentarian. You know he’s thoroughly biased from the start, and that he has an agenda, and that he will construct his arguments to play to his target audience.

I have no qualms about the complaints that are being hurled at him here, but in fairness you guys should all have the same complaints about Limbaugh, Matthews, Savage, and all of the rest of the ranting right-wing media. Bias is bias, whether you happen to agree with it or not.

Remember: Guns don't kill; bullets do. Guns just make 'em go fast. biggrin.gif

that sucks. hopefully you set them straight at the school. we have lost so many freedoms in this country over the past ten years simply because no one is held resposible for their actions. we all have to pay!! it kinda reminds me of boot camp were we all paid the price. but, there we made choices to correct the situation (code red, example). out here there are no choices unless you want to be considered as bad as the bad.

One day, me and a bunch of other ninth graders brought about 20 guns to school. Oh yeah, it was a public Jr High. There were 12Ga and 20Ga shotguns, and .22 rifles.

The year was 1973 and we were going on a shooting field trip for the firearms safety class, held during school hours as a regular class. I bought my first reloading equipment from the teacher. How stupid is it to disallow even discussion of guns? confused.gif

Taught my kids to respect firearms by showing them what happens to real critters that meet real bullets, and dispelled any unhealthy curiosity by openly showing them every aspect of cartridges. We even burned little piles of powder to see the different burn rates. It's not that hard to do it right.

Mark,

Actually I was talking about places like

Argentina, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia. In any of these place, guys like

Micheal Moore (or Rush) would just dissappear one night. Even as Americans oversea our parents taught us to keep our mouths shut about the

governmnet. Native born Amercican's have

NO CLUE how good we have it. We sit back, living

our easy lives and let them steal our liberties

a tiny bit at a time.

EDIT>> I don't much care for Rush, but I'd love to

see Micheal Moore and Ann Coulter go at it. She

mop up the floor with him biggrin.gif

[ 08-22-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

I learned to shoot in the Boy Scouts, then shot on a team in High School. Went on to shoot for the Marine Corps shooting team in Quantico, VA.

Target shooting taught me to respect weapons, discipline, focus, and hard work. Now I own a 22 that I get to shoot a few times a year.

I like the quote I heard a politician say once, "I own more guns than I need but not as many as I want".

At it's most basic level, gun ownership in the US assures our government will never become tyrannical and that a foreign invasion could never be successful.

The problem is not the guns, but that the movie industry has glorified violence for over 50 years, and seldom shown the reality of that violence (except for movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down).

quote:

Yea-- Where are the parents, just exactly who's parents are you lookig for? Mine?

Course not dude.....I don't understand your question. confused.gif

We are all, each of us here, a product of our envoronment.

quote:

Native born Amercican's have

NO CLUE how good we have it.

+ 1000

We all live like Kings and take it for granted.....

It is sad but true that, "Where there is the most good in the world, there will also be the most evil".

Murlin teh God bless America.....

Jack,

quote:

Another interesting tidbit was the suggestion that there are seven million guns in Canada; he does have a point stating that two people were shot and killed here last year as opposed to over 11 thousand in the US.

Are these numbers that are stated in the movie? They didn't seem right to me so I looked it up and here are the results of my search. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of his data.

quote:

According to Maryantonett Flumian, the Director of Canada’s firearms registry, there are around a thousand gun related deaths per year in Canada, the majority accidents. Murders account for around two hundred firearms deaths per year according to the Centre for Justice Statistics.

I did not find these numbers on the Canada Justice web site so I cannot verify it's accuracy.

Charles,

I agree with what you said below.

quote:

The problem is not the guns, but that the movie industry has glorified violence for over 50 years, and seldom shown the reality of that violence (except for movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down).

Clint's Unforgiven showed the reality as well.

Phil

[ 08-22-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: PhilCott ]

Charles Davis - I too was in Quantico for a year doing 8th % I duty. In 1968 I broke the range record at Pendelton. Received a 3 liberty pass so I headed for Mexico. I`ll never forget it biggrin.gif

Unfortunatly, that put me straight into sniper school. That was a mistake. Oh, well.

Back to the subject - My son was stationed in Texas for a while. He said everyone carried. No bank robbories `cause every body was packing. In most states it`s different. They don`t want anyone to have a gun. That woukd be the best if we were all civilized enough, but the criminals are not. Until we get to that point - I think Texas has the right idea. cheers.gif

quote:

My son was stationed in Texas for a while. He said everyone carried. No bank robbories `cause every body was packing.

Arizona is like this as well. The crime rate is low.

I was handling guns when I was barely out of diapers and have always known what they're capable of. The ONE thing, (aside from my machining background), that I got from my father was the use, care and respect of guns.

I currently have enough weapons/ammunition to defend my entire block for roughly a month. My guns stay in my safe unless I'm using them. My child(ren) will be handling them before they will be riding bicycles. They will be taught the way I was taught, they will go thru the safety courses, they will be FULLY aware of what a gun can do.

As Americans, they will respect guns and (hopefully) help to defend our right to arm bears.

50cal.jpg

'Rekd

Rekd, what the hell is that - 50 or 60 cal.?????

In a fire fight that last for 24 hours you can burn up around 2,000 rounds, making most of them count. If you have enough rounds for a month - dude - you ARE serious.

What is the range on that weapon?