Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trying to decide on new Test Indicator

I've been using the Starrett for the past 11 years with zero issues, but I'm told to pick a new one so I'm torn between the Starrett and the Interapid.  Does the Interapid require less stylus pressure?  Especially for dialing in spindle probes?  Is the Interapid stem removable?

TIA

8639026-23.jpg

0644282-21.jpg

Go with the Interapid but get one that reads in .0005  and then get the same that reads in .0001  and if there still selling the hardware kit get that also   so you have all the attachments. and you can get extra tips in a few dia's   but the .0001 has .018 of travel and the .0005 has even more . they are very light on the touch with them and very sensitive but also robust.  that way you can get it close with the .0005 and then switch to the .0001 and finish it .

And they last a long time unless ya forget a high spindle speed for the last m3 and it goes flying :)

HTH

• Like 1

I confess to being a huge fan of the Interapid. I've had mine for about 20 years, and they never let me down. You can move the stylus to different positions, without causing any issues with the travel range. So don't be afraid to rotate the tip into a different orientation. Be aware though that the stylus does loose accuracy if it is at a more extreme angle. I've had to do this in tight spots before.

• Like 1

You couldn't give me an interrapid because of one thing....the dials don't auto-reverse. The needle swings in opposite directions depending on what side of the stylus you are on, so I find myself tapping the stylus with my finger to see if I am plus or minus.  Doesn't sound like a big deal, till you get used to using a brown & sharp or other brand thats needle always swings the same direction, making it infinity easier to tell if you are traveling plus or minus.

• Like 1

You couldn't give me an interrapid because of one thing....the dials don't auto-reverse. The needle swings in opposite directions depending on what side of the stylus you are on, so I find myself tapping the stylus with my finger to see if I am plus or minus.  Doesn't sound like a big deal, till you get used to using a brown & sharp or other brand thats needle always swings the same direction, making it infinity easier to tell if you are traveling plus or minus.

Yep.

I didnt know this...

Ive always used interapid and mitutoyo.  THe interapid stays on the height gage most of the time, the mitu is for indicating at the machine

^^^^ Newbeeee  how have those baty indo's been working out for you ???

:cheers:

They're good - but they don't take a bang into the vice or bounce when they are knocked off the bench onto the concrete floor.

Ask me how I know - I bought another 3 since Jan, and there's only 4 people here on the machines...

• Like 1

I do not like the post mount on the interapid. I prefer dovetail.

The post is what I like the most. For indicating ID's you just slap it in a drill chuck and you can swing it out to do holes up to a couple of inches. No need to attach anything to it. Like the Interapids. Brown & Sharpes are pretty good too.

• Like 1