Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small VMC Recomendations?

I am kicking the tires on replacing our VMC.

Looking for suggestions on a small approx 30" x 16" VMC. The floor space is limited to about 8ft wide and 9ft depth.

Would like a decent spindle speed (~15K). Machining everything from 304 SS, Aluminum, Brass, Steel, Plastics. Using endmills down to 0.01"

So far I have looked into a Fanuc Robodrill (worried about the spindle size on this, only BT30) and a Makino (not sure I can get them to fund one though!).

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Who do you have for local dealers/agents/support?

Robodrill is excellent.

Brother is better and more rigid and more money.

We have 3x Feeler's here which are great value for money. They outperform the Robodrill, because they have the 15krpm (v 10k on the Robodrill).

Hardinge/Bridgeport make a 580 VMC with a BT40 spindle that may fit your requirement.

I think it would all come down to dealers and cut tests. Don't worry with steels on a #30 providing it has a BBT (face and taper/dual contact) spindle.

HS toolpaths and a demo, and you'll be very pleased.

IMO a BBT spindle makes the machine approx. 30% more rigid.

Not sure - they do the robodrill type toolchange turret machine and then others with a side toolchanger.

A mate's place has a tc32 (I think - it's a twin pallet) and hearing that cut, it was definitely more rigid than our old robodrills.

They actually make a 1,000mm X which may suit you.

Robodrills are available in a 700mm X which is a great size.

Okuma M460VE is about 8' * 9.5' for the machine. If you get a chip conveyor versus chip pan, it takes the 8' wide to about 9.5'. 15K spindle, 30HP. Very fast and accurate.

The Okuma rep here did not want to give us a budgetary number on an Okuma, he gave us one for a Hardinge. Not sure why.

The Okuma rep here did not want to give us a budgetary number on an Okuma, he gave us one for a Hardinge. Not sure why.

Was Hardinge quote on the V1000 or V480 or other? The V series are nice machines. The Mits controller comes loaded with all the high speed goodies, etc. If you told him you were shopping Robodrill and other smaller size machine he may have been concerned the Okuma was out of the price range you were looking for. 

Was Hardinge quote on the V1000 or V480 or other? The V series are nice machines. The Mits controller comes loaded with all the high speed goodies, etc. If you told him you were shopping Robodrill and other smaller size machine he may have been concerned the Okuma was out of the price range you were looking for. 

Hi Doug,

It was a "Bridgeport" GX710. 10,000 RPM spindle. Fanuc i series GX control.

John

Hi Doug,

It was a "Bridgeport" GX710. 10,000 RPM spindle. Fanuc i series GX control.

John

I have not had much experience with the 710 Fanuc machine. I have worked a bit on the 1000 size with a Fanuc OiMD. Personally I would rather have an Okuma or Mits controller, but for the right purposes the Fanuc OiMD is fine. 

We have Hurco and Kitamura VMC's. This week an Okuma M560 is getting installed with a Koma 5 axis table. There will be a few more M560's replacing dying Hurcos I'm thinking. The Kitamura VMC's hold tolerance well but they are seeming to have more issues requiring repair lately. They are older machines as well.

• 2 months later...

We had the local dealer in that represents Matsurra, Brother, Hurco..etc.

He was pushing a Hurco of all things. I was more interested in the Brother Speedio line.

Anybody have an opinion on Fancuc Robodrills vs Brother Speedio?

Flamesuit on - for out and out production, I think the Brother is a better machine.

More robust and stronger spindle.

For simplicity and all around bullet proofness, I think the Robodrill is a better option.

Hurco is a fantastic control and a good Taiwan machine.

I think the Brother is a little more "Heavy duty" than the Robodrill but I if I needed to do any real milling I would stick to a 40taper/HSK63a machine. We have over 20 robodrills here and while they are awesome/accurate machines, there are limits to a BT30 interface. I would go for:

Makino PS95

Matsuura VX-1000

Okuma 

Maybe even a Doosan.

Mike